Way Huge - Supa Puss mk2

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Just for the giggles, here is the mk2 supa puss
I would NOT want to calibrate one of those... let alone using SMD trimmers!

No trace side, as its kinda redundant as noone will build one.

andrej
Solder Soldier
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vox AC30
Completed builds: Zvex Woolly Mammoth
Boss DS-2 mod
Vox AC4
Crowther Hotcake (and own variations)
TS-808
Big Muff Russian
Big Muff IC
Superfuzz
Superfuzz
Big Muff
Mixer/Blend
various other stuff

Post by andrej »

on the other hand, why would anyone even build this clusterfuck of a pedal? it doesn't even sound that good...

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

andrej wrote:on the other hand, why would anyone even build this clusterfuck of a pedal? it doesn't even sound that good...
Dafuq are you talking about? It sounds really nice. Maybe you heard the first version which had level matching problems. The second iteration fixed those and sounds very good to me at least.

agoldoor
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by agoldoor »

How can you tell the difference between the MK1 and MK2, if you were wanting to go out and buy one? I would imagine this is the kind of thing where most of those on ebay are MK1's?

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Ask the seller for the serial number and check with Jim Dunlop
If its a mk1, and its been retrofitted to mk2, the revision work will have a SWO document signed from Dunlop QA so they could scan that for you to show proof of update

Id imagine a number of 2nd hand ones will be the mk1. It really was unusable for me in a live mix because of the delay mix control... so be careful!

However, if you can score a good deal on a pedal, regardless if its mk1 dunlop will rev it for you, took about 10 days from the UK, so US I imagine itll be faster (and cheaper, postage wise)

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

agoldoor wrote:How can you tell the difference between the MK1 and MK2, if you were wanting to go out and buy one? I would imagine this is the kind of thing where most of those on ebay are MK1's?

oooh just googled and found this:

"Talked to the guys at Dunlop today about what "revision" my Supa Puss was (mine oscillates when I turn the gain knob up barely at all) and they told me to do this:

Unplug everything and remove battery. While holding down the feedback knob, tap tempo switch & on/off switch, PLUG it in/power it on and if the triplet light lights up then it NEEDS to be updated. If the 16th or dotted eigth lights up, then you have the latest revision that does not need updating.

I looked everywhere trying to figure out if mine needed to be updated and thought this would be useful for fellow SP owners...killer pedal either way!!!"

Mines been revved, and when I do this, the 16ths then dotted 8ths light up. ;)