Ramble FX - Marvel Drive 1.0  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
User avatar
POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 325
Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 03:11
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Post by POTL »

Hello everyone, I am confused by the power switching scheme, or am I mistaken, or does the voltage change only in the second half of the VB circuit, explain how in fact the voltage changes, on the whole circuit or only the second part of it?

User avatar
Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 2178
Joined: 09 Apr 2009, 07:06
Location: Leeds, UK
Has thanked: 1016 times
Been thanked: 870 times

Post by Nocentelli »

VA and VB are both switched between 9v and 18v - They are connected at the node that links to the two 47ohm resistors that feed these points,so both VA and VB will either provide 9v direct from the supply, or 18v from the charge pump. The only difference between VA/VB is that they have separate power filter caps and resistors.
vanessa wrote: 20 Aug 2007, 17:51 You can't arrest someone for reverse engineering something.

User avatar
POTL
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 325
Joined: 26 Sep 2016, 03:11
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Post by POTL »

Nocentelli wrote:VA and VB are both switched between 9v and 18v - They are connected at the node that links to the two 47ohm resistors that feed these points,so both VA and VB will either provide 9v direct from the supply, or 18v from the charge pump. The only difference between VA/VB is that they have separate power filter caps and resistors.
Thanks. :thumbsup

User avatar
mr coffee
Information
Posts: 30
Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 03:54
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Post by mr coffee »

OK,
Here's the (I hope) last post in this thread, so folks can find the correct schematic without going through all kinds of confusion getting the correct schematic.

I made it a bit easier to read and cleaner, the last schematic was already correct.

mr coffee
Attachments
Ramble FX Marvel Drive v2.22 by me.png

User avatar
JabboWookie
Information
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 May 2013, 05:58
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by JabboWookie »

Long time listener, first time caller...

I built this off of Bugg's PedalPCB Marble Drive, which I'm assuming is based off of this schematic. I'm getting a whine from the TC1044S when I'm in 9V mode. Everything's good in the 18V mode. I've tried two different chips with the same result. Any ideas why this might be happening? Obviously it goes away when I pull the chip.

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/marbledrive/

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

User avatar
Manfred
Opamp Operator
Information
Posts: 1496
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 23:42
Has thanked: 1334 times
Been thanked: 1020 times

Post by Manfred »

I'm getting a whine from the TC1044S when I'm in 9V mode.
I think that the whine is not caused by the TC1044S in the 9V mode, but rather by means of bias point shifting on the FET stages.
Remove the chip and run the circuit using a 9V battery to see if the whine is still there.

User avatar
JabboWookie
Information
Posts: 5
Joined: 16 May 2013, 05:58
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by JabboWookie »

Manfred wrote:
I'm getting a whine from the TC1044S when I'm in 9V mode.
I think that the whine is not caused by the TC1044S in the 9V mode, but rather by means of bias point shifting on the FET stages.
Remove the chip and run the circuit using a 9V battery to see if the whine is still there.
The whine is gone when I pull the chip and run it at 9V (with my PP2+, no battery).

User avatar
PedalPCB
Information
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Jan 2018, 04:27
Been thanked: 31 times
Contact:

Post by PedalPCB »

JabboWookie wrote:I built this off of Bugg's PedalPCB Marble Drive, which I'm assuming is based off of this schematic. I'm getting a whine from the TC1044S when I'm in 9V mode. Everything's good in the 18V mode. I've tried two different chips with the same result. Any ideas why this might be happening? Obviously it goes away when I pull the chip.
Add a 10K resistor from the bottom lug of the SPDT to ground, should clear up the whine. This is happening with some charge pumps.

User avatar
plush
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 09:29
Location: Moscow, Evil Russia
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Post by plush »


I built this off of Bugg's PedalPCB Marble Drive...

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/marbledrive/
Even though this is not an issue for me, I still can't decide why pedalpcb does not specify the bias voltage in his manual. How on earth would a newb decide on a bias voltage (which should not necessary be 1/2 of the VCC)?

User avatar
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information
Posts: 1054
Joined: 29 Jun 2011, 01:25
Location: US Florida
Has thanked: 312 times
Been thanked: 544 times

Post by J0K3RX »

plush wrote:

I built this off of Bugg's PedalPCB Marble Drive...

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/marbledrive/
Even though this is not an issue for me, I still can't decide why pedalpcb does not specify the bias voltage in his manual. How on earth would a newb decide on a bias voltage (which should not necessary be 1/2 of the VCC)?
I think you unknowingly answered your own question. :thumbsup

User avatar
plush
Cap Cooler
Information
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Dec 2015, 09:29
Location: Moscow, Evil Russia
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Post by plush »

J0K3RX wrote: I think you unknowingly answered your own question. :thumbsup
Oh, wow, this was unintentional [smilie=sweat1.gif]
Lmao

Post Reply