Bearfoot - 3BOD  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

one for the bass players :D

[updated below]

cheers,
lohstah

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

I may just be being thick and/or not up to date, but what is it? :mrgreen:
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

IvIark wrote:I may just be being thick and/or not up to date, but what is it? :mrgreen:
Bearfoot blueberry bass overdrive.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Ta
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

rocket8810
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rocket8810 »

Vero layout based on Mark's. values changed to reflect that of the bbbod.

check this over to make sure everything looks ok. if it looks good, i'll post it in the contributions section. just finished it after going bar hopping celebrating all hallows eve (Halloween), so i may have miss something. i may have done a little too much of this drinking and made a mistake. just let me know.

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

looking at lohtsah's posted schematic and comparing them to my gut shot pics of the actual pedal, both of the (brown) Dale resistors have a value of 1K33. the 264 number must be some sort of other code (and not 2K64) since they both have both numbers on them. the other thing is that I believe that the 3130's pin 7 (9V power) should come after the 1N4007/47 ohm resistor/100u filter since that's how Bjorn does it on all of his pedals, instead of right at the 9V tap.

I drew up, etched and tested a pcb for it and it works well, although it seems to have less gain/dirt than my buddy's original that I took pics of.

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

as for the V for the opamp, yes it should be taken after the filtering, it is like the BF HB version. i just used a schematic i had drawn for the MP version back then and pasted the changes, forgot to change that.
as for the resistor value, it is definitely 2k64. both dale resistors have "DALE RN55C" written on them,
one 1331J, and the other 2641B, you do the math.

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

added VC designation

[updated below]

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

lohstah wrote:as for the V for the opamp, yes it should be taken after the filtering, it is like the BF HB version. i just used a schematic i had drawn for the MP version back then and pasted the changes, forgot to change that.
as for the resistor value, it is definitely 2k64. both dale resistors have "DALE RN55C" written on them,
one 1331J, and the other 2641B, you do the math.
hmmm. it's pretty confusing. take a look at these pics of the two resistors in question:

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

CMF (Military RN and RL) product information

http://www.vishay.com/ppg?31027

www.vishay.com/docs/31027/cmfmil.pdf

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

i'm actually starting to think that they should both be 2K64's since the 'B" stands for .1% and those type of Dales are rarely 5% resistors.

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

that is very likely, especially since the same 2N5952 is biased in the HB via a 2K61.
i traced via pics, did not have the real thing in my hands.
one angle is missing in my pics, so i guess i misread the date code and JAN brand for the value (DALE/1331J/RN55C/value).

the gentleman who provided the pics for me will hopefully confirm. let´s wait and see, but we can assume it is 2K64 for both.

cheers,
lohstah

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

so this would be the third schemo. hopefully the last revision :wink:
if one of the mods could be so kind and delete the other two.

cheers,
lohstah
3BOD.jpg

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

here's my etched PCB, built up and tested and it sounds great. i didn't have the 2K64 resistors in stock so i just used 2K7's for them. everything else are the posted values. just need to box it up now.

rocket8810
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rocket8810 »

revised vero layout to match the change to the resistor. if one of the mods would be kind enough to delete the other one posted to prevent confusion that would be awesome.

should be good to go, but someone just check it over to the schematic and make sure i didn't miss anything.

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

A lot of differences from the Baya Azul proyect, isn't it?

johnk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnk »

Duckman wrote:A lot of differences from the Baya Azul proyect, isn't it?
yup. it has way less gain/dirt too.

rocket8810
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rocket8810 »

I finally had time and built it, and I can't beleive I'm saying this but........it's ok. I feel that there's either a midrange bump or some low end loss when it's engaged. Now, I'm saying this because I like massive, and I mean massive low end, and when this's is engaged you get much more string definition, as in you actually hear the things being hit, as opposed to it being in the background. I was able to get it to sound more to my liking by switching the Si diodes for some russian d9 diodes,but I took them out, and I'm looking to see if I have a solder bridge somewhere causing an issue. I also, tried a different ca3130ez and 2n5952, but the sound stayed the same. I'm thinking maybe playing around with some of the values and the JFET to see what happens.

But heard the interesting thing, I watched 2 different demo videos of this and one sounds like my build, the other is warmer or darker sounding if you will. So, it may not be an issue with the layout, build, or values, but how this thing responds to your amp and gear. Also, it could be all the hype around the thing that I built it up that it would be the end-all of bass OD's, but it's good. Funny enough, the bearfoot honeybee that I built seems to be more transparent and retain the whole sound of my bass, compared to the bbbod. :hmmm:

lohstah
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lohstah »

finally had time to box this build up today and try it out. sounds like the demos as far as i compared.
fat low gainer with a lot of character. will take it to rehearsal on tuesday to see how it sounds on a real amp with the band; today at home, i just used an aguilar db659 pre into the soundcard (direct out) to headphones.

storyboardist
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by storyboardist »

Here's a perf and PCB layout. Unverified as of yet, but should be right.