Seppuku FX Mind Warp

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

DarrylC. wrote:ok, I got my hands on a mind warp and took a picture from every conceivable angle. I got a good shot of every resistor and every capacitor. I'll get to posting them tomorrow night when I get off work.
So whatever happen to this?

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

digitalzombie wrote:
DarrylC. wrote:ok, I got my hands on a mind warp and took a picture from every conceivable angle. I got a good shot of every resistor and every capacitor. I'll get to posting them tomorrow night when I get off work.
+1. get your pics out for the boys.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

tabbycat wrote:
digitalzombie wrote:
+1. get your pics out for the boys.
Oh yes! I'm looking forward to seeing if this looks just as hack-sawed together as the Fuzz Overloader we traced last year :D :popcorn:
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

grrrunge wrote:Oh yes! I'm looking forward to seeing if this looks just as hack-sawed together as the Fuzz Overloader we traced last year :D :popcorn:
he's coming on in leaps and bounds now.

circuit-bent nux time core aka ic water:

http://postimg.org/image/upj8rqt3t/

http://postimg.org/image/fy12ve2cf/

yours for a mere $300 @ http://audioslime.net/products/bent-echo-1/

you're gonna need a bigger tub of popcorn...

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

:shock:
---

teej212
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by teej212 »

tabbycat wrote:
grrrunge wrote:Oh yes! I'm looking forward to seeing if this looks just as hack-sawed together as the Fuzz Overloader we traced last year :D :popcorn:
he's coming on in leaps and bounds now.

circuit-bent nux time core aka ic water:

http://postimg.org/image/upj8rqt3t/

http://postimg.org/image/fy12ve2cf/

yours for a mere $300 @ http://audioslime.net/products/bent-echo-1/

you're gonna need a bigger tub of popcorn...
can you get more picture of that? 300 for a few wires and two pots? unreal...

OH!STOMPBOX!
Information

Post by OH!STOMPBOX! »

:popcorn:
Attachments
Seppuku ICc.jpg
Seppuku ICb.jpg
Seppuku IC.jpg

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Death by Audio Fuzz War
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi V5
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Multi-Diode and Feedback Mod
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Room Reverb and Reverb Length Mod
Boss DS-1 Synth Circuit Bend

Post by jrfox92 »

Are there any other pictures besides Ugly Casanova's?

OH!STOMPBOX!
Information

Post by OH!STOMPBOX! »

jrfox92 wrote:Are there any other pictures besides Ugly Casanova's?

i don't have any. but i couldn't see the other ones so i posted the UC ones i had up to the forum.

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

i think the dearth of gut shots for any of the seppukus is down to the fact that a) there are so few of these anyway (kitchen table runs) and b) uc is the only owner out there lifting the lid to confront the horror of what lies within. actually i think ug posted some guts too, somewhere. uc and ug i like. and ug gives great demo.
maybe other owners can be located somewhere on a continuum with 'praying it doesn't break' at one end and 'in denial about how little they just blew $300 on' at the other.

as you are, i'm curious about the tech from the perspective of building pedals and what (if anything) i might learn from the circuits that i can reapply in different contexts to make interesting sounds (the whole point). but i'm not into the seppuku scene. i did try to source tech info and gutshots at ilf last year but that thread has long degenerated into an extended shopping expedition ('i got this, you got that, he got those' etc) and looks unlikely to recover. it's a scene.

if gutshots turn up, cool. if not, whatever. the drone, spacefuzz, overloader turned out to be mildly tweaked long-known things, the mind warp is unlikely to be dramatically different. so i'm curious but not fixated. too many pedals too little time.

jrfox92
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Death by Audio Fuzz War
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi V5
Skreddy Lunar Module
Colorsound Overdriver
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi Multi-Diode and Feedback Mod
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Room Reverb and Reverb Length Mod
Boss DS-1 Synth Circuit Bend

Post by jrfox92 »

tabbycat wrote:
i think the dearth of gut shots for any of the seppukus is down to the fact that a) there are so few of these anyway (kitchen table runs) and b) uc is the only owner out there lifting the lid to confront the horror of what lies within. actually i think ug posted some guts too, somewhere. uc and ug i like. and ug gives great demo.
maybe other owners can be located somewhere on a continuum with 'praying it doesn't break' at one end and 'in denial about how little they just blew $300 on' at the other.

as you are, i'm curious about the tech from the perspective of building pedals and what (if anything) i might learn from the circuits that i can reapply in different contexts to make interesting sounds (the whole point). but i'm not into the seppuku scene. i did try to source tech info and gutshots at ilf last year but that thread has long degenerated into an extended shopping expedition ('i got this, you got that, he got those' etc) and looks unlikely to recover. it's a scene.

if gutshots turn up, cool. if not, whatever. the drone, spacefuzz, overloader turned out to be mildly tweaked long-known things, the mind warp is unlikely to be dramatically different. so i'm curious but not fixated. too many pedals too little time.
Yeah, I'm starting to learn that the only way to get gut shots of stuff like Seppuku or DBA is to buy it yourself, take more gut shots than the standard "I took three pictures which should be enough" guy and flip it for profit, if possible. :roll:

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

jrfox92 wrote:Yeah, I'm starting to learn that the only way to get gut shots of stuff like Seppuku or DBA is to buy it yourself, take more gut shots than the standard "I took three pictures which should be enough" guy and flip it for profit, if possible. :roll:
Yeah. The only issue with that procedure, is the fact that most of us here wouldn't touch their stuff with a 10ft stick, because we've already seen the guts of other stuff they build... :lol:
---

OH!STOMPBOX!
Information

Post by OH!STOMPBOX! »

boy, i'll tell you, the last bits of this thread really make me want to bust out the camera again and take apart some pedals. :roll:

tabbycat
Information

Post by tabbycat »

instruction sheet for mind warp. not a gutshot but clarifies purpose/function of controls, which may help narrow guessing as to remaining unknowns.
strucs.jpg

lborl
Information

Post by lborl »

Hello! I can't remember where I orginally found them, but on the USB stick I use for wasting time at work I'd saved a handful more gutshots of someone's Mind Warp. Do they help at all?
Mind_Warp_Copy.jpg
Mind_Warp2_-_Copy.jpg
Mind_Warp3_Copy_Copy.jpg

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

Friend brought me this and a bunch of wacky older stuff for repair. He hasn't even told me what's wrong with them yet, but I'll do my best to trace them out.
Attachments
Mind Warp - Imgur.jpg

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

Sorry for the mess. I'm no good at drawing schematics - you can see it took me three times just to verify which end of the IC I was looking at. I hope it's high quality enough to read but if you want me to double-check a part I will as long as I still have the pedal. The cap between pins 9 & 10 was facing toward the chip so I couldn't read the value, but I think it's safe to assume it's the same as the cap bridging 11 & 12. The IC's are PT2399 and TL072
Attachments
20200729_121550.jpg

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

I'm having trouble getting it to work properly, though. I've never messed around with PT2399 circuits before, but from what I understand the 78L05 is supposed to be sending 5 volts to pin 1. I've got 9.76V going into the 78L05, and 8.72V coming out. I tried another PT2399 I had laying around and no change.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

digitalzombie wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 21:42 .....from what I understand the 78L05 is supposed to be sending 5 volts to pin 1. I've got 9.76V going into the 78L05, and 8.72V coming out. I tried another PT2399 I had laying around and no change.
Flip it around? I have had pinout issue with 5v regs before.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

digitalzombie
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by digitalzombie »

Nocentelli wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 21:59
digitalzombie wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 21:42 .....from what I understand the 78L05 is supposed to be sending 5 volts to pin 1. I've got 9.76V going into the 78L05, and 8.72V coming out. I tried another PT2399 I had laying around and no change.
Flip it around? I have had pinout issue with 5v regs before.
From what I was told by the owner this was working at some point. I'm not getting any pulsing from the LED either which is separate from the voltage regulator so I think something else must be going on.
I reconstructed the schematic I drew on my breadboard using a L7805CV and a 5K pot for the depth control and a 4558 instead of a TL072 since that's what I had on hand.