Kingsley - Page (gutshots)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
johngovan1234
Information

Post by johngovan1234 »

Can someone help me tracing the kingsley page tube boost. I only have Gutshots from the internet. Hope someone can help me. Thank you.
Attachments
Fgrobtc.jpg

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

It is not possible to find out the circuit by tracing, the shown wiring in the forground are incomplete
and the other in in the background is not clearly visible.

johngovan1234
Information

Post by johngovan1234 »

Here are some shots inside
Attachments
28428612_1911436139168071_1225329795609395200_n.jpg

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Sorry, I would like to do the trace, but also to many unvisible things in the last shot to me.

swyse
Information

Post by swyse »

I know this isn't useful in the slightest, but I thought it might be fun to see what information was actually present in the photos, so I did my best. I'm not 100% on the resistor values. You would need a lot more photos from a lot more angles to actually get close to a schematic. I think the bottom side of what has arbitrarily named R2 goes to ground, as it appears to go to the switch to participate in the LED part of the circuit, but who knows.

johngovan1234
Information

Post by johngovan1234 »

I appreciate your efforts. It is so hard to traced na pedals without full gutshots. I hope someone kind enough who has this pedal to share some more photos so we can trace this awesome pedal.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

johngovan1234 wrote:I appreciate your efforts. It is so hard to traced na pedals without full gutshots. I hope someone kind enough who has this pedal to share some more photos so we can trace this awesome pedal.
Here is an idea, If it is a pedal you really need then maybe buy one, work out the schematic yourself and post it here as many others do, make one then sell on the original to recoup your cost. :secret:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Ice-9 wrote:Here is an idea, If it is a pedal you really need then maybe buy one, work out the schematic yourself and post it here as many others do, make one then sell on the original to recoup your cost. :secret:
Same as the tracer fund used to be here at the forum: buy-degoop-publish schems-sell

Cheers,
Jose

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Same as the tracer fund used to be here at the forum: buy-degoop-publish schems-sell
:thumbsup

I did often in this way.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Manfred wrote:
:thumbsup
I did often in this way.
Ah them good ole days... well, right now we are looking at upgrading the server in order to avoid outage like we had last week and trying to pull the forum into the new decade. Databases have grown massive and need cleaning, so we are working on that first. That's the prime reason I set up the Patreon page, but once works are done, prices of new servers leases become predictable, we may be able to dabble into that again. But I'm not promising anything at this point, was thinking a lot about it but right now there are other priorities.

And remember we've had pedals getting traced from pictures posted 7 years earlier...
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi pals,

A detailed image stolen from TGP 8)

Attachments
9t7xA4B-2.jpg

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Thanks pluis! Don't hesitate to steal properly and attach pictures when the pedal's not fully traced yet...

This gut shot show that besides the rustic 50s tube tagboard part there is a Chinese pcb style power section ...
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 23.27.11.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 23.27.11.png (105.48 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

I'm quite sure that this circuit is a pre-made voltage multiplier.
this pedal has an external dc power supply:

"The 9VDC power supply (provided) is converted to both 6.3VDC for the tube heaters and 250VDC for the tube plates."
"Power requirements: 9VDC @ 500mA, center negative, 2.1mm jack"

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Intripped wrote:I'm quite sure that this circuit is a pre-made voltage multiplier.
You're right Intripped. This kind of switch mode voltage elevator appears in other tube pedals here at the forum.

An example can be this diagram:

I have draw a partial schematic of this pedal based on the pictures of this thread. Let me clean up a bit and will post soon 8)

Cheers,
Josè

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi folks,

Preliminary drawing !!! 8)
I'm not completely sure about tone pot connections. Also there is an 1Meg resistor from pin 2 of the tube to gnd that I forget to draw.
Some connections were evident in the pictures and some others were guessed and drawing using common sense, so take this diagram with caution :roll:
The step up supply board is assumed similar to those that appear in the above post, so isn't included in the audio section.
That supply board is feed directly from the DC jack (an almost-hidden yellow wire in one picture...) to one tag and through a small axial coil.
Also, the heater of the tube is supposed to be connected directly to the same DC jack to avoid heavy current in the audio gnd.

Cheers,
Jose
Attachments
Kingsley Page preliminary drawing
Kingsley Page preliminary drawing

John G
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by John G »

Hi,
10 Meg ohm from input to ground.
John

brejna
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by brejna »

Yesterday I was tracing from pics and I draw exactly the same layout/schematic, except I think gain pin 2 should be grounded not after 220k. From other kingsley pedals maybe cathode bypass caps are 150n? Also gain should be A500k.

Also kingsley uses 6v3 heaters..

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Hi Brejna,

You're right !! :thumbsup The coaxial cable from the pushbutton is soldered to the mid tag on the gain pot and from this node depart the 220K to the grid.

I did some time ago a test feeding the heater of a 12AX7 with 9vdc to pins 4 and 5 (leaving pin 9 unconnected) and the current measured was 127mA instead of the nominal 150mA when the tube is running at 12.6V and this is due the positive temperature coefficient of the filament itself.

If the filament were a perfect resistor (of 84 ohms) then the current will drop to 107mA @ 9V

In this same way the Hermida Zendrive 2 feeds a 12AX7 with 9vdc.

Regarding the values of the potentiometers, they are visible in the partially assembled units showed at the first post. I also think I have read 225 in one of those cathode capacitors of the same image, but can't be completely sure.

Cheers,
Jose

HamishR
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by HamishR »

Does the input really go directly to the grid? Shouldn't there be a 68K resistor or similar in between? Or have I misread your schematic (entirely possible!).

John G
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by John G »

Hi,
First photo shows, at the extreme right hand end a 10Meg ohm to a ground.
The top end has the input coax connected, and most probably a 33K ohm resistor going up to the first grid.
This is NOT a true bypass design as the input to the tube is across the signal path at all times.
John