Fuzz Factory Transistors?

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
keeleyvandervort
Information

Post by keeleyvandervort »

So, we know that the early factories used the super mojo spam can transistors, and later models use 2N404 , but does anyone 'know' what trannies were in the early perfboard versions from around '97 to 2002 or so?

I see many, many references to the transistors being AC128, but can anyone confirm that they are?

YellowDog
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Vibrolux Reverb
Completed builds: Dozens of fuzzes :)

Post by YellowDog »

Hi,

once I was replacing pots in factory. Dunno which year it was made, it wasn't mine, but there were nice AC128s in it.

gkaiomenos
Information

Post by gkaiomenos »

I've seen a couple of the earlier handmade units carrying low hfe AC128s. Measured between 35-60.

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Yes, the couple of older ones I saw around 2007 or so were AC128.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

I have a set of Zvex transistors from a fuzz factory and there’s no markings on them other than his own “zvex” restamp. I put AC128s in the pedal and it sounded identical so I left them in it and put the Zvex ones in a parts drawer. I don’t recall the hfe but I do have it written down with the transistors if anyone ever “needs” it.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.