Surfy Bear - Reverb  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
tome.talevski
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tome.talevski »

phatt wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 12:00
tome.talevski wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 09:51
Thanks for those Kinski! I came across the moody option also.. hoping someone out there has the time and inclination to create a layout incorporating The G’s wet dry mods! :)
As I have built many reverb circuits I would suggest researching before just building and hoping for the best. :secret:

Spring Reverb circuits are quite tricky and although a lot will deliver reverb,, many are less than impressive. (I should know cause I've built many and a lot are crap) :evil:

Number one thing to Know with Spring Reverbs,,, The tank has to match the circuit you wish to build.
If that is not close then you are building something that will frustrate you and likely end up in land fill. :blackeye

Not at first obvious but Rod Elliot sells PCB's which can be modified for Reverb circuits,, It might help you :thumbsup
https://www.sound-au.com/project34.htm

There is a ton of really useful info on Spring Rev here and hard to find this info elsewhere.

My circuit idea of using a small Tx for hiZ drive tanks is found on this page.
Rod kindly refined it.
https://www.sound-au.com/articles/reverb.htm

Front page of ESP is here;
https://www.sound-au.com/index.html

This would have to be one of the best web pages for DIY audio noobs who don't have the education,,and Very well written.
Phil.

Thanks for all that detailed info.. my research has also uncovered that warning.. not all tanks match all circuits.. like I mentioned in a previous post, im on the cusp of beginning the ruthenium circuit with a stomp box friendly tank.. see below..

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabbl ... 38024.html

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Hi tome,
Well I would be wary of that circuit. :|
Yes a lot of reverb circuits pass signal but there are better ways.

I can already see by the Ruthenium schematic that the Drive is weak hence the pickup end needs a lot of boost which can lead to a noise issue. Q1&Q2 are not needed if the drive is designed well.

As you only have 18 Volts you can use *Current drive* circuits. (See ESP rev pages for how that is done)
That will greatly improve output and give a clean drive which means you need far less gain on the PU end.
No matter what opamp design you use be aware that no matter how clever the design a lot of opamps don't like driving low resistance loads which is most reverb tanks, often only 30~60 Ohms.
Even with current drive you are best to use NE5432 or similar for clean drive.

You will likely need to lower C3 in the Ruthenium circuit as too much bass will just distort the drive transducer. And bass on spring rev sounds horrible anyway so you need to slope bass below 1khZ.

If you want I can post some drive ideas that I have used, though not sure how well they would perform on 18Volts. :hmmm:
Phil.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

I found this layout on a Japanese site some time ago.

I also have the full PDF project file before they took it down and stopped selling PCBs. The only use it has now is the BOM and clear schematic as the SB layout only shows parts placements, not the PCB traces.

I will upload it if it’s allowed?
Japanese Build (2).JPG
Japanese Build (2).JPG (104.28 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Japanese Build (1).JPG
Japanese Build (1).JPG (63.69 KiB) Viewed 875 times
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

John Lyons
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by John Lyons »

I'd love to see those files if you can post them.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

John Lyons wrote: 12 Mar 2022, 14:35 I'd love to see those files if you can post them.
Will PM to you, John.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.