Durham - Crazy Horse [goop-alarm]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
chromaticdeth87
Information

Post by chromaticdeth87 »

Okay okay I used the search function about a million times....It's spitty, overpriced, and gooped I get it. But, what is it at it's core exactly? A Muff? Rat? Fuzz Face? all with a simple overdrive and bias control?

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

chromaticdeth87 wrote:Okay okay I used the search function about a million times....It's spitty, overpriced, and gooped I get it. But, what is it at it's core exactly? A Muff? Rat? Fuzz Face? all with a simple overdrive and bias control?

In my experience putting more bass into the feedback loop of a TS, makes it sound fuzzy. So with fuzz control down and volts control at 9V, you can clearly hear the TS sounds.

Then we are left with the 3 TS controls: drive/gain, level and tone.
:thumbsup
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

cbriere
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by cbriere »

i have assembled a bearface,
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/B ... arFace.htm
and i found some splatty sounds like the crazyhorse demo.
fun combination of fuzz+opamp clipping.

chromaticdeth87
Information

SWEET. thanks guys.

lautmaschine
Information

Post by lautmaschine »

modman, do you think the fuzz control is just introducing more bass into the feedback loop? Based on the demo, I gathered that the fuzz knob was a distortion control completely independent of the drive control.

Does anyone have any gut shots?

Emanuele
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Emanuele »

I did a fat mod to my TS using directly a jumper instead of the stock 0.047uf so I get all the bass of this world but it doesn't sounds like the crazy horse (unfortunately)

mrhenry
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: soniccord toad, tweed bandmaster, JTM45

Post by mrhenry »

I have a Crazy Horse, but I am loath to degoop it since I haven't heard anything from the forum about the degooping of a Sex Drive that was started (and not completed?) some time ago. Since the Crazy Horse has the same goop, I want to hear from more experienced folks before I ruin an expensive gadget.

Please let me know If you all have any more info on how to get rid of that nasty epoxy.

-mrhenry

lautmaschine
Information

Post by lautmaschine »

I would suggest posting a picture of the gooped innards. There are plenty of goop experts around here that could comment.

chromaticdeth87
Information

I second that goop pictures are needed! also there is a whole thread on degooping within this forum. I started this thread mainly because the unfortunate fact that everyone just bashed Durham for their prices and it had little to do with any circuit info like that of the sex drive or crazy horse. I think they are pretty cool little fuzz boxes.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

chromaticdeth87 wrote:I second that goop pictures are needed! also there is a whole thread on degooping within this forum. I started this thread mainly because the unfortunate fact that everyone just bashed Durham for their prices and it had little to do with any circuit info like that of the sex drive or crazy horse. I think they are pretty cool little fuzz boxes.
Did you really read the thread and have a look at the pictures of the Sex-Drive ?
I dobt that, because if you would have you would know that it is YAFTS-derivate.

Concerning the goop it appears to me that - at least in the Sex-Drive - it could be some soft-stuff which should be easy to remove.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

mrhenry
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrhenry »

Hey AG,

The Sex Drive and the other Durham products are not gooped with any soft stuff-- it is a very hard material that I am assuming is some kind of potting epoxy. It is not flexible at all. It is very hard. If it were goop like the kind found in Lovepedal, or HAO rust drivers etc... that black gunk that you can use tweezers to peel back--- if it were that stuff then I would be brave enough to go at it. However, I am too much of a chicken shit :oops: to get at this epoxy stuff without very good ventilation. I think I would just ruin the pedal making any circuit tracing difficult, and possibly poison myself with toxic fumes!! :lol:

As for the Sex Drive, circuit, it most certainly probably is a Tube Screamer derivative (based on your tracing of the partially degooped pictures in this forum). The tone control is definitely a treble cut (has almost no effect on midrange) and it is the SAME tone control on the Mucho Booso AND the Crazy Horse (as I have at one time, owned all three). So, other than that I am at a loss to help simply because of this rock hard epoxy bullshit. God forbid any of the components fail, they would be impossible to repair without damaging everything.

Thanks as always for your help AG.

best,
mrhenry

lautmaschine
Information

Post by lautmaschine »

I still think a picture of the gooped innards may be useful. :wink:

mrhenry
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrhenry »

Durham Crazy Horse Gut Shot
Durham Crazy Horse Gut Shot
Photo 6.jpg (111.68 KiB) Viewed 8640 times
have at it. sorry its a little blurry, I am using my built-in Mac camera.

chromaticdeth87
Information

pretty clean layout alot room for that battery. well there's some large caps stickin out under that goo. looks like some black bean dish they would serve in New Orleans. haha.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Shame if the footswitch fails....
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

covering electrolytic caps in goop causes them to fail sooner.
too bad you won't be able to replace them when they die.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

mrhenry
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrhenry »

yep. my thoughts exactly soulsonic. cant say that it makes me too happy. :x if anyone has any ideas on how to get the epoxy out, i'd love to hear them.

thanks,
mrhenry

db72
Information

Post by db72 »

curious, why does the goop make electrolytic caps fail sooner?

chromaticdeth87
Information

I will take a wild guess and say that that much epoxy depending on it's viscosity and if it has some resistance of it's own could probably cut down on the conductivity of the leads on the caps. It would be the same effect as putting LIQUID NAILS or Crazy Glue on each end of a component and expecting it to carry current effectively. Caps are sensitive anyhow and I know any amp or pedals problems I've ever had were due to electrolytics failing. I mean I know that epoxy is a polmerization of some kind, that would lead me to believe that it has it's own conductance and some resistance considering you have to break down basic plastic ions at the molecular level and then stretch them into long chains to arrive at a polymer. I mean even wood has impurities such as mica or even iron in it that can play havoc with a circuit, weird to think about but I heard of a guy using wood for turret boards and finding all kinds of weird shit going on with his circuit. There's that chemical process of mixing the epoxy so that it will heat up to liquid stage and then dumping that on a component, yeah I can see where the heat factor and chemical properties could fuck your electrolytics real bad.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The death of an electrolytic is caused by (over-)heat and no ventilation - goop causes both.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.