The Squarewave Parade - Teaspoon

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Does anybody know how this thing might work?

Recently one sold on eBay for $425 [smilie=a_holycrap.gif]. There is one available on eBay right now. [smilie=a_holycrap.gif]

"Remember - all I am offering is the truth, nothing more". Morpheus

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

Thanks for the links Flood :thumbsup. They are interesting projects/ideas.

From the size of the box I wouldn't be surprised if the Teaspoon is just a lo-fi sampling chip with a variable clock. I don't think there is space for much more. Unless it is all SMD of course. :hmmm:

I read somewhere on the web site that if the “time” knob is set to the min the unit may not bootstrap. This might suggest that if the clock runs too slow the chip cannot start(?)

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

that's quite a lot of money for pretty much the equivalent of a casio sampler in stompbox form.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

RnFR wrote:that's quite a lot of money for pretty much the equivalent of a casio sampler in stompbox form.
:ROFL

This is why I am interested to know what the box contains :hmmm:

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

This one sold for $504.99 :shock:

Considering that the Roland SP-404 costs around $400 and it is far more powerfull, $504.99 for a Teaspoon doesn't look a great bargain to me. [smilie=rlp_smilie_178.gif]

I will never understand...

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

RnFR wrote:that's quite a lot of money for pretty much the equivalent of a casio sampler in stompbox form.
I don't think I have any device that has caused to much hours of fun (including bellyaches) as my good old Casio SK1 :mrgreen:
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I paid about $250 for my Akai S5000 in excellent used condition.
Why pay $400+ for a junk toy when you can have a REAL sampler for cheap?
https://cgi.ebay.com/AKAI-S5000-120MB-R ... 286.c0.m14
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

ieatyouforbreakfast
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by ieatyouforbreakfast »

can do the same thing with my casio sk1.. not very impressive at all..

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

soulsonic wrote:I paid about $250 for my Akai S5000 in excellent used condition.
Why pay $400+ for a junk toy when you can have a REAL sampler for cheap?
https://cgi.ebay.com/AKAI-S5000-120MB-R ... 286.c0.m14
Size, battery operated... I guess

To be honest, if I had the schematics and components were not too expensive, I would probably build one. I have the feeling that I would get bored quite quickly though.

jazzmaster
Information

Post by jazzmaster »

hmmm.. i may contribute something to this, i got a little "lo-fi sampler" that i made about a year ago in a diy workshop.
it has a mic and a speaker, play/record buttons.
ugg this was a pretty bad workshop... docs and everything was poorly copied, i had put it onto shelf for later study,
and make something better out of it. and the guy who lead the workshop didnt had much info about electronics, he was
just jumping in because the real guy was sick.
the ic used is ISD1416. they provided also a mod for it, where u could pitch the loop made with a 4093.
there are many chips in the ISD family, diff. sampling rates and recording times etc. theyre not to cheap, so longer rec needs more $ but you wont get poor for it. ;)

so this is not too far away i think, also when i remember right i was reading the datapage for the ic and there you see
some applications, the build from that workshop is not far away from that. also as the others said its pretty lofi, but u may like
exactly that, and 400$ + hmm better get a boss dd-5 or so, which also can make S+H.

if u like i could scan in the papers i got from the workshop if i find em :D but be warned they provided crappy copies and poorly wirtten docs, also its in german ;)

deathofaparty
Information
Completed builds: Still a bit of a noob: Germanium Fuzz Face, Colorsound One Knob Fuzz (with 4 knobs and a switch!), a couple Zvex SHO's, LPB2, Atari Punk Console, Bazz Fuss, a Boost/Cut combo pedal, a couple of buffers, Random Number Generator, Pulse Wave Modulator, Woolly Mammoth, Zvex Machine, some oscillators and noisemakers...

Post by deathofaparty »

Okay, so this pedal differ's from most looping pedals in the sense that it automatically begins the loop the second you push the button and stops once you release it (rather than having a record button, then a play button). It also stops your input signal (leaving only the loop) when you have a loop going, and the loop's pitch and length can be adjusted with a knob, while it's looping.

I am looking for some idea of how to recreate THAT. I have no interest in a lofi loop junkie (I have a line 6 delay that does standard loops quite nice), I'm more looking for something that has a stuttery, looped effect similar to what the Teaspoon does (without having to pay an UNGODLY amount of money on ebay: he now only sells on eBay, as if his prices weren't high enough! I genuinely love a lot of what this guy does, but can never afford any of it...).

Does anyone have any ideas for how to mod a design to create this type of effect or something?

thanks!

kriista
Information

Post by kriista »

If all you want is stuttering buy a boss DD-6.

In hold mode it KILLS the teaspoon, particularly since you can 'capture' different sized loops/grains really quickly, depending on how long your foot is depressed.
You can't change the pitch of it, but for me that's not the exciting part.

Just look up DD-6 Stutter on youtube.

Or fast forward this to 1:56:

He does all that stuff live.

deathofaparty
Information
Completed builds: Still a bit of a noob: Germanium Fuzz Face, Colorsound One Knob Fuzz (with 4 knobs and a switch!), a couple Zvex SHO's, LPB2, Atari Punk Console, Bazz Fuss, a Boost/Cut combo pedal, a couple of buffers, Random Number Generator, Pulse Wave Modulator, Woolly Mammoth, Zvex Machine, some oscillators and noisemakers...

Post by deathofaparty »

kriista wrote:If all you want is stuttering buy a boss DD-6.

In hold mode it KILLS the teaspoon, particularly since you can 'capture' different sized loops/grains really quickly, depending on how long your foot is depressed.
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm looking for. Know of any layouts I could use to get a similar effect?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

deathofaparty wrote:
kriista wrote:If all you want is stuttering buy a boss DD-6.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm looking for. Know of any layouts I could use to get a similar effect?
You'd probably be better off just buying a DD-6.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

deathofaparty
Information

Post by deathofaparty »

soulsonic wrote: You'd probably be better off just buying a DD-6.
Yeah, you're probably right, but that's not much fun, is it? :D

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

deathofaparty wrote:
soulsonic wrote: You'd probably be better off just buying a DD-6.
Yeah, you're probably right, but that's not much fun, is it? :D
Hey, at least you'd have the fun of learning how to pull off the hold/repeat tricks as slick as the guy from Melt Banana. I don't expect you can just plug it in and be able to get sounds that cool instantly... definitely something that takes practice to be able to pull off smoothly.
I'm going to pick one up too sometime... for the same reason! :D

deathofaparty
Information

Post by deathofaparty »

Have you seen what he is getting for these?
Apparently he only sells the Teaspoon via auctions now, and not even through eBay anymore (I'm guessing he get's the full cut of the profits this way). Here's the link

http://la-ac.com/msbd/viewforum.php?f=17

They're going for massive amounts of money. For some reason it really, really bugs me that he does it this way. I guess it's because I'm definitely never going to be able to afford one!

Silent Fly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Silent Fly »

The winning offer so far is $350 (BTW it is a used unit). A Korg KP3 costs around $400. With the greatest respect for the teaspoon there is absolutely no comparison in terms of functionality, interface, connectivity and sound quality.

People can do what they like with their money but to me, $350 for a teaspoon make no sense.

deathofaparty
Information

Post by deathofaparty »

Silent Fly wrote:The winning offer so far is $350 (BTW it is a used unit). ...
People can do what they like with their money but to me, $350 for a teaspoon make no sense.
Check out the ones that ended already: #11 went for $675, #10 for $635, #9 for $630

WTF.