Wampler - Plextortion  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

Bump on this, anyone ever get good trace shots? I know Brian already gave some direction, but I'd love to get actual schematics worked up for the different versions.

MullisMan
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr.
Completed builds: Timmy, Klon, Zendrive, King of Tone, Rat, BSIAB2, Riot!, Fuzz Factory, Coloursound Overdriver, Divided by 13 Joyride, 70 Fuzz, BBE Sonic Stomp, Big Muff PI, Xotic EP Booster, Lovepedal Eternity, Jack Orman Minibooster, Dynacomp/Ross/Keeley Compressor, SHO

Post by MullisMan »

Barcode wrote:Bump on this, anyone ever get good trace shots? I know Brian already gave some direction, but I'd love to get actual schematics worked up for the different versions.
+1 :thumbsup
I want to build it all.

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

MullisMan wrote:
Barcode wrote:Bump on this, anyone ever get good trace shots? I know Brian already gave some direction, but I'd love to get actual schematics worked up for the different versions.
+1 :thumbsup
+2 :thumbsup
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

indyguitarist wrote:I'm flattered that my pedal was brought up. :)

I'll start from the beginning - I was always a huge fan of the old blues pearl 'perplexed' pedal, which is a modified guv'nor.

:)

bw
thats interesting i never knew you were a fan of it as well. did you ever think of building a clone of it since its officially dead and gone. i thought someone should i still have my old hand drawn schematic of it one of the best sounding eqs imho. anyway ciao for now.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

ansil wrote:

I'll start from the beginning - I was always a huge fan of the old blues pearl 'perplexed' pedal, which is a modified guv'nor.

bw
thats interesting i never knew you were a fan of it as well. did you ever think of building a clone of it since its officially dead and gone. i thought someone should i still have my old hand drawn schematic of it one of the best sounding eqs imho. anyway ciao for now.
I wouldn't want to do a clone of it for sell, but I do remember that drawing you did years ago!

ansil
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: my hughes and kettner blue 30r
Completed builds: 3 jcm 800 builds
4 vintage plexi builds
2 bogner ecstasy preamps [both for personal use]
10 marshall guvnor mods and builds
100 jungle kat boosts
too many penguin love's to count.
5 blues pearl purplexed
dozen tube screamer fulldrive whatever you call them variants

hell i can't type this long it will piss off people what can i say i have been doing mods on toyz appliances gear sex toyz computers and such for 27 years. i started when i was 6 taking stuff apart.

Post by ansil »

ha well thanks yeah its been some time ago i just thought it would be nice to keep the circuit alive and pumping. i thought it was brilliant the way he took the 10k pots out of the eq and put in the 25k pots that made the eq so expressive. makes me want to redesign a board for it and build one. that reminds me i need to shoot you a pm later had a couple questions for ya.

perhaps on the morrow then

ciao

btw do you remember which chip he used in that thing i totally forgot i know i was wrong and it was a mosfet input instead of a transistor that i originally drew up.

ecc83
Information

Post by ecc83 »

Old Gregg wrote:Super Plextortion layout, First version with v2 mods from mmory, had this on my hd.
temp - superplex bright cap.gif
Do You have schematic ?

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

This pic is from one of the Youtube videos,newest version plextortion.Two JRC4580(according to Brian's posts earlier in this topic,I'd say he is using only one half of the second opamp for boosting the output-right after tone control),two clear ultrabright clipping LED's (to ground),100KB gain & volume(as in original guv'nor schematics but 10KB for treble,10KA mids and 10KC for bass.If the vintage/modern switch only lifts capacitor's ground pin at the tail end ,why is he using dpdt?Maybe that's in his pcb design template...
It would be cool to see the other side of the board to see the last gain stage setup ,as everything else is pretty explained....

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

hello!!!

recently i've looked at some youtube videos and i like how this pedal sounds... i've read bryan indications but i have some doubts... hope you can help me!

fist of all... I would need to base my desing in the guvnor schematic and make the changes mentioned by bryan...( no presence control )

then... i'll need to add a boost stage for a volume boost... ( again... no presense - high boost stage)

searching... i've found this

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... alNumber=2

but... based on this schematic...

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... php?id=476

where i must be insterted?

well... i'm not an expert in electronics... but i can learn! jeje... that's why i'm asking for help!

thank you so much!!

Saludos desde Chile!

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

today i design this schematic...based on the info posted in this topic...

is it correct?

please..check the jfet gain stage at the end...
Attachments
Wampler Plextortion provisional schematic
Wampler Plextortion provisional schematic
untitled.pdf
(17.96 KiB) Downloaded 898 times

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

is the gain stage after the tone stack correct?

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

mrkaploca wrote:Image
This pic is from one of the Youtube videos,newest version plextortion.Two JRC4580(according to Brian's posts earlier in this topic,I'd say he is using only one half of the second opamp for boosting the output-right after tone control),two clear ultrabright clipping LED's (to ground),100KB gain & volume(as in original guv'nor schematics but 10KB for treble,10KA mids and 10KC for bass.If the vintage/modern switch only lifts capacitor's ground pin at the tail end ,why is he using dpdt?Maybe that's in his pcb design template...
It would be cool to see the other side of the board to see the last gain stage setup ,as everything else is pretty explained....
please!! Anybody and idea?? :scratch: or a layout for this version? :hmmm: THANKS A LOT!!! :mrgreen:

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

what is the idea of the boost after the tone section?? to compensate db loss by the passive tonestack?

... a tiltman jfet preamp (3db of gain ) will work?... or more gain is needed ( that's why he use a half 4558?)?

thanks!

lukatosh
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by lukatosh »

any idea? :)

GodSaveMetal
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by GodSaveMetal »

lukatosh wrote:any idea? :)
Look at the picture the probably use a 1/2 4580D for the booster!!!!!!!!

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

Let's start with this schem: http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electron ... php?id=476
The first version is a modded guv'nor, no additional parts.
c5: .22
r16: 1m, add 100pf in parallel.
remove c4
r6: 470k
c8: 100pf
c9: 1uf
r7: 10k
r1: 1k
c1: .22uf
diodes: 1n914+led, 1n914 on the other side.
IC: tl072 and 5532 on later versions.
500ka volume - iirc - I have since lost my original schem in a hard drive crash. :(

That didn't have enough highs, so I added a high boosting stage, similar to the tubescreamer tone control type, except it didn't tie back into the signal before the opamp (no additional low pass), this was called the 'presence'.

The next version had the same thing, except I added a basic jfet gain stage after that to boost the volume.

Next version, I dropped the presence control and added these changes:
r7: 1k
diodes: led's
c5: .1uf
c2: 47pf
ic: lm833

The last version is about the same - I *think* r8 is just a jumper IIRC.
component types: metal film
ic: 4580

der ya go! It's a good sounding little circuit, and the first and last "clonish" type of circuit I did.

bw

someone made ​​this mod? have video?

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

tonepad guvnor "wampler plextortion mod"
Attachments
tonepad guvnor wampler plextortion mod.jpg

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

GodSaveMetal wrote:
mrkaploca wrote:[ Image ]
please!! Anybody and idea?? :scratch: or a layout for this version? :hmmm: THANKS A LOT!!! :mrgreen:
anyone have schematic new model?

imnotgay
Information

Post by imnotgay »

andregarcia57

IIRC..input goes to IC2a as buffer then goes to IC1a..just paste the plextortion mode that you post earlier starting from the input cap that goes to IC1a to the output..thats all my newbieness can..and maybe the IC2b for buffer or as replacement for FET stage in earlier version..

Nefi_fatobene
Information

Post by Nefi_fatobene »

Someone managed to unravel the scheme?