BSM treble boosters?!

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
plexilover
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plexilover »

hey there,
anyone who has something bout the different bsm boosters??
thanks

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

There's this crazy thing that happens when you use the "search function" - you get results that may answer your question.

Search for "BSM" yields :

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... &hilit=BSM

and a mention in this thread :

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... &hilit=bsm

ODwan
Information

Post by ODwan »

Hello,
Bernd's boosters are all variations of different historic treble booster themes. Most are build with NOS germanium transistors.

Greetings,
Timo

plexilover
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plexilover »

But which one is what vintage circuit?

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

plexilover wrote:But which one is what vintage circuit?

GOOGLE is your friend. Do people always have to do all the work for you ?

http://www.treblebooster.net/

Every one of their products tells what circuit it is based on. I'm not trying to be an ass, but it seems like you would have searched first - and then not needed to ask - taking up other peoples time.

nokaster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by nokaster »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it seems like you would have searched first - and then not needed to ask - taking up other peoples time.

nice one! :applause:
if you don't want your time to be taken... don't bother to write something down mate.
i hate it when people promote search buttons in the way you do it.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

nokaster wrote:
PurplePeopleEater wrote:

I'm not trying to be an ass, but it seems like you would have searched first - and then not needed to ask - taking up other peoples time.

nice one! :applause:
if you don't want your time to be taken... don't bother to write something down mate.
i hate it when people promote search buttons in the way you do it.
Congratulations. It still doesn't change the fact that a simple search would have answered his question. What was I supposed to say : "Please, oh please, if you pretty please use the search function here on the site and Google, you'll find those spiffy answers you're looking for."?

People here have used forums before. They have used search functions at other forums. Why should they be excused and coddled for it here ?

If Analogguru said the exact same thing as I did (which he pretty much has, many times before) it would be looked at as keeping order to the forum. It's no different if any other member suggests the search function. I even posted the links for the OP.

Once again, not trying to be harsh, but the search function exists for a reason.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I seem to get the impression that people looking into buying certain boxes want to know what they are buying and pop the question here. This is not what this forum is about. Rather the other way around -- look for what you can contribute to the forum and let everyone do the same.

There are so many treble booster schematics around that BSM guys have succeeded in building up nice line of booster based on more or less correct schematics that have always been around floating on the internet. Some of them are based on effects that never existed even.

viewtopic.php?p=27138#p27138

they are not expensive, but you'll have fun cracking open a plastic case when you try to skin one. if you do, do share your findings. Any treble boost building questions will find proper answers if yo post them. But let's not make these bsm guy too famous

:mrgreen:
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

nokaster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by nokaster »

those are some ugly boosters btw! :oops:

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

And they actually are very expensive;

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_sh ... ink--bsmrg

Almost $300 for a booster.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

when they are ugly I check the price with more curiousity even

and go OH MAN
http://www.thomann.de/be/bsm_treble_boo ... jestic.htm
better order another Klon
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

nokaster
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by nokaster »

that's just sick...

Torchy
Information

Post by Torchy »

BSM TREBLE BOOSTER RM MAJESTIC

BSM TREBLE BOOSTER RM Majestic, Limited Version with high-selected OC44 otherwise as RM, which is sound not only singularly clearly, tingling and pressureful, but additionally still, when welcome side effect strengthens, with approx. 4dB more highly, as the regular RM
What the f**k does that garbage mean apart from "it's 327 euros" ?

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

They look like they use Sfernice "Knob Pots". I've thought about trying those myself.
I'd really like to see the inside of one of these to see if the quality of the guts is what you pay for. Rare transistors isn't enough to justify something being expensive; that can only justify limited production numbers.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I can tell you something as of yet; the jacks are shitty.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

I mean, I have used them, but for my personal stuff, If I were to sell a pedal to someone, I would use some better jacks, (not that it would justify the overinflated price anyway). And why not, include an LED and Power input, for that price, ¿why not do that? if adapter power spoils the mojo, well, then the external power just for the LED, but, at least have it.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Fuzzer wrote:And why not, include an LED and Power input, for that price, ¿why not do that? if adapter power spoils the mojo, well, then the external power just for the LED, but, at least have it.
EXACTLY!!!
I see all these guys selling expensive Rangemaster clones without DC power jacks and I can't figure out why. It's extremely easy (and cheap) to stick a simple little charge pump circuit in there to give a negative voltage that the circuit will be very happy with and allow it to work just fine with any standard power supply and not interfere with other pedals. I think it's lame that they use battery-related mojo as a convenient excuse to not include something that's considered a standard feature on any mass-produced stompbox.

My Rangemaster clones all include DC jacks and are fully compatible with any standard stompbox supply. :P
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

soulsonic wrote: EXACTLY!!!
I see all these guys selling expensive Rangemaster clones without DC power jacks and I can't figure out why. It's extremely easy (and cheap) to stick a simple little charge pump circuit in there to give a negative voltage that the circuit will be very happy with and allow it to work just fine with any standard power supply and not interfere with other pedals. I think it's lame that they use battery-related mojo as a convenient excuse to not include something that's considered a standard feature on any mass-produced stompbox.

My Rangemaster clones all include DC jacks and are fully compatible with any standard stompbox supply. :P
Why would they ? As long as there's plenty of mojo horny fckers, TGP-ers and other breed who will buy them anyway?? :roll: They'll sell less if they lower the price because that price is the excuse for that fantastic sound.... you know the drill..

While some wok their literal arse off the get rid of some of the mojo it's fed just as hard form the other side. Therefore, don't even bother to care about it.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote: some wok their literal arse off the get rid of some of the mojo
You mean our Chinese friends, right? :mrgreen:

If you don't have a marketing concept that is strong enough to conquer the world... don't even think about starting a business. But this guys has

1) Focus niche
2) Lotsa mojo blah-blah - enough for each booster to prevent ANYBODY from reading it really.
3) Distribution network set up right (pedalgeek.com and thomann!)
4) Cheap production
5) Tracer's protection: the circuit itself is housed in a little plastic box that's IIRC glued into the box. No doubt you can crack it open, but you wouldn't be able to re-assemble the pedal.

had some pics of that somewhere...

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

It's extremely easy (and cheap) to stick a simple little charge pump circuit in there to give a negative voltage that the circuit will be very happy with and allow it to work just fine with any standard power supply and not interfere with other pedals.
Actually, (to me) that's a really sophisticated approach. What I have done for my battery-mojo-believer friends (but still sane enough to value the convenience of an LED) is install the DC jack only for the LED, that way they can keep their battery mojo, but also can take a daisy chain and have indication for whenever the effect is on.
However, I'm really attracted to the charge pump dea, I'm going do make a PNP booster and put it in there. Really slick.

And you're right about this Mr. Modman.
Lotsa mojo blah-blah - enough for each booster to prevent ANYBODY from reading it really.
I couldn't agree more. The it is just overwhelming.