Donnerbox - fRATternity

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
22uf
Information

Post by 22uf »

http://fullmoonamps.com/fraternity.htm

Only $222 - gets you another re-packaged RAT. Most likely built on a BYOC PCB or - they just ripped off the layout.

Cow4prez
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Cow4prez »

i dig those knobs :)
The simple non-labelled controls are cool at first but soon you realize it's a pain in the ass to remember which is the volume control :scratch: so i don't do that anymore.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Build a Rat

Add the "Ruetz mod"

Add a rotary switch to control clipping diodes/mosfets/LEDs (as per Dano - http://www.beavisaudio.com ... http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/FKR ... rMouse.gif )

should get you close ...at the very least

jfromel
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jfromel »

I can assure everyone that it is not a BYOC board in there. Nor does it look anything like the BYOC board. I did the layout and the PCB work is 100% original. Props to Donner for giving credit where credit is due. The PCB is super high quality with ground planes, plated through holes, thick traces, and I know what components Donner is putting in there and this is a great build. There are builders who blatently rip off others designs then make claims like "unique circuit", "2 1/2 years of development", "I started with a clean sheet of paper", etc when all they did was steal and then claim originality.

Do we need another RAT clone out there? perhaps not, but as far as I know it's the only Rat clone that comes in a Donnerbox. As we all know, there are no two Donnerboxes that look the same.

alteredsounds
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alteredsounds »

fucking ugly box, looks like something liberace would of used

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

Hmmm well that didnt take long :mrgreen:

Yeah its just a Rat, move along, nothing to see here -- next :thumbsup

foxfire
Information

Post by foxfire »

i like the box but, whatever. guess i'm gay?
rylan

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

alteredsounds wrote:fucking ugly box, looks like something liberace would of used
Beat me to it. :applause:
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Donnerbox wrote:Hmmm well that didnt take long :mrgreen:
Never does around here !

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

alteredsounds wrote:fucking ugly box, looks like something liberace would of used
Agreed... :mrgreen:

...and to be honest, Donner is the last guy I'd be buying a cloned pedal from.

Cow4prez, the knobs are the same as used on the Clay Jones OD. Banzai and others sell them.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

unbeliever
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by unbeliever »

jfromel wrote:thick traces
This automatically makes it a 'good PCB'? Ok.
As we all know, there are no two Donnerboxes that look the same.
Most people aren't 'the same' either, still yet a whole bunch of them are idiots. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure why Donner has been singled out here. Perhaps I should read the old posts here more.

I like a lot of the paint designs. And I'm not gay - not that there's anything wrong with it. In fact, I'm sure there are a whole bunch of gay guitarists who might like to have some products targetted at them, Hmmmm ... :hmmm:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

yes I know many of you think it frivolous to put art on a pedal and you may be right, but I like it and hey at least its not shiny swirlz !!! .... 8)

The Fraternity, like its name is built around a Rat - it was begun as a drive channel for the amps we are going to be building - I wanted a versatile Marshall type distortion so the Rat is the best place to start...... and Ive wanted to combine two of my favorite pedals for a long time - the Ibanez Fat Cat (Rat +) ~ my main distortion from the 80s and the FatBox (D+ with diode rotary) from the mid 90s and added a variation on the Ruetz mod (thanks to Dano and Phil) ....

theres a whole crap load of clipping variations - everyone of those pedals is different .... theres a few new clip combos and some EQ tweeking and I like the layout a lot , but its just a very well built versatile distortion in a unique box that will mate well with our amps and many more - nothing earth shattering, just distortion

the company is called Full Moon as its more than just me (Donnerbox) - I wanted the 'mooniest' looking round knobs :D , those are from Mouser..... I used them on the Donnerbox Spatial Delays also

so theres the short version if you give a rats ass ( :mrgreen: )

22uf
Information

Post by 22uf »

Lets see a gutshot..

Skinpimp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skinpimp »

So J. Fromel If you designed the Circuit board , Who is the brains behind the Product? You or Donner ? Just curious why Donner wasn't able to do this himself. Or are you both taking Credit For it (Collaboration)? I am not "trying" to be an ass, as I know you offer the Lush and a Green Ringer Clone. You also have put some work into both by designing the boards and tailoring sound which I like. I havent seen a Dimension-2 in about 15 years. So somewhat unique offering by you :thumbsup . but why is Donner's First offer only soldered and painted by him. If He is gonna offer a clone the hard part has been done already at least create His own Board layout if not anything else .... What makes this a $222 pedal (thats almost 2 Barber pedals) ? and who does that money go to? are you getting a Kickback For your Time? At least Donner has a Decent Reputation in the Buttkick ...bootsqueak....Buckwheat....BeenDone....Hell i cant even say it anymore!!!..... Nice Box market. and that should get him sales for sure .. Maybe Even you if people know you helped out with it.

Take Care

Skinpimp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skinpimp »

Donnerbox wrote:

the company is called Full Moon as its more than just me (Donnerbox) - I wanted the 'mooniest' looking round knobs :D , those are from Mouser..... I used them on the Donnerbox Spatial Delays also

well that kinda answers some questions.. But really a Delay?? Who is Doing the Schematic Hunt....I mean R&D.. are you basing it on a Bucket Brigade or PT2399? Analog or Digital? I personaly Like the Analog of the PT2399 over that Digital sounding stuff.. But hey thats just me... :secret:

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

22uf wrote:Lets see a gutshot..

k your turn :wink:

Skinpimp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skinpimp »

Donnerbox wrote:
22uf wrote:Lets see a gutshot..

k your turn :wink:
ok that is funny :ROFL

I would but mine has lint in it right now , I am saving it for Christmas..

*edit* sorry I had the F bomb and Christmas in the same paragraph just didnt feel right..

Donnerbox
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Donnerbox »

Skinpimp wrote:
Donnerbox wrote:

well that kinda answers some questions.. But really a Delay?? Who is Doing the Schematic Hunt....I mean R&D.. are you basing it on a Bucket Brigade or PT2399? Analog or Digital? I personaly Like the Analog of the PT2399 over that Digital sounding stuff.. But hey thats just me... :secret:
Oh the Spatial Delay was a couple years ago - I dumped it as everyone was starting to come out with delays, not sure if the Youtube demo is still up , but it has a cool modulation section and I havent heard another like it so I may do some more for Full Moon - its a 2399 tweek I spec'd with fellow St. Louisians 4ms who do some cool modulation stuff ......

Skinpimp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Skinpimp »

4MS stuff is way out there cool.. I was browsing there site a while back and started to get the Chainlink fence effect looking at all those knobs. :shock: