Ayan - Smooth & Slim  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

moltenmetalburn
moltenmetalburn wrote:Hey AG I absolutely love the tuna style can !!! :applause:

what type of lid did you use for the bottom?

Hey, Hey, Hey..... this is a forbidden question because it is a trade secret.

Anyway, maybe this picture could help you to find an answer to your question:

Trash cans are the proper housing for a junk box - caffee olé.
Ah yes, and the tropical fish caps were recycled from an old TV-pcb.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

:lol: :lol: AG yer killin me with that tuna can. and of course with the proper mojo caps inside.

ahh i get it!

tropical tuna fish!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Blues Lyne
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Blues Lyne »

moltenmetalburn wrote:Check out the HC reviews, people seem to love this thing, I wonder if the hyped up manual explanations and background information have psychologically biased these people or if there are any truths to these claims;

"The realignment
of frequencies takes away what shouldn't be there in the first place, so the new
sound is much more focused and contains less transients, which results in improved
sustain perception."

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... 0Slim/10/1

:popcorn:
I can't speak to those people, but the review I wrote earlier in this thread was what I hear from a couple years of using the Smooth and Slim. I'm sure I must have received the manual, but haven't seen it in years. When I looked it up online, it says pretty much what I said. So, I'd say it does what it claims sound wise (can't speak to realignment of frequencies part). I purchased the Smooth and Slim because I heard it dealt well with the flabby bass on a Fender. I hadn't read anything about increased sustain getting rid of the icepick highs. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I got those things too. So, for me it wasn't a matter of being biased by the claims.

I don't really find the manual to have hyped up explanations. Certainly not compared to most of what is out there in boutique land. I found the manual here http://ayanmusic.com/enterprises/ if any one wants to read it. The Mark II version is the version that has been going out since 2003.

I think Gil has made product that addresses an issue that many players have. I haven't encountered anything else on the market like it. Sure when I looked inside, my first reaction was I paid $70 for this? I could build this easily for cheaper. But, honestly, if I hadn't looked inside, I would be satisfied with the price I paid for what it does. The truth is that while I could build it, after seeing it, I probably wouldn't have ever thought of it. Gil did. Like a lot of these things, he probably built something for himself that worked and found out others were interested and provided it to them. It's not his fault the solution didn't take a lot of fancy parts and circuitry. :mrgreen:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I think the concept of this thing is alright... it serves a useful purpose, but well... I'm with unbeliever on this; any attempt at patenting this would be a waste of money. It would be thrown out as soon as it was challenged. A patent is only as valuable as its ability to be defended. It's really damn hard to defend a couple caps and resistors used in a common arrangement to solve a common problem in a manner which any moderately educated technician would have done as a matter of common sense.

But anyway, despite my poo-pooing the Smooth n' Slim, I think the passive "correction" circuit has its place and I'm tempted to build my own attempt at the S n' S/Harmonic Converger concept.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

soulsonic wrote: It's really damn hard to defend a couple caps and resistors used in a common arrangement to solve a common problem in a manner which any moderately educated technician would have done as a matter of common sense.

You may be right, but if it's a common solution that any "moderately educated technician" would have come up with, how come nobody else has marketed it ? The word "common" would suggest that it would be "widely known", therefore you would expect to see it on the market in several forms. :hmmm:
But anyway, despite my poo-pooing the Smooth n' Slim, I think the passive "correction" circuit has its place and I'm tempted to build my own attempt at the S n' S/Harmonic Converger concept.
:thumbsup

Guilherme
Information

Post by Guilherme »

Some background.

Gil Ayan used to post in Ampage and in the Boogie Talk mail list. I think a couple of the Mesa Boogie schematics that are on the net were contributed by him.

From what I remember, the S&S was not a proper "business", it was more like someone at the boogie list would e-mail him and ask, Gil, please build one of those things for me, and he would do it in his spare time. So problably the different caps are because that's what was laying around.

The S&S is not gooped and while he never published the schematic, he never hid that the slim feature was just a series cap for bass cut and the "smooth" was just like a guitar tone knob turned down, and encouraged people to try different caps that sounded best with their guitar, amp and style.

Here's a schematic he published with mods to the Mark I boogie:

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/mesa/

When he published this, he said to look at the input cap mod to learn what the slim part of the S&S was.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/mes ... _mod_1.jpg

BTW the idea of cutting bass to help keeping the bottom end of amps tighter is not new, many many people used treble boosters for that. But since Mesa amps have more gain than fender blackface amps, I think Gil realized that just shaping the bass was enough, the extra gain of a treble booster would be too much in that case. For a Fender I'd rather use some simple treble booster.

earthtonesaudio
Transistor Tuner
Information
Completed builds: Metal Simplex, Fuzz Factory, two Fab Echos-modded, Noisy Cricket, Earth & Space Wah, TS-7-modded, passive xover/splitter box, opamp fuzz

Post by earthtonesaudio »

I love little passive circuits like this! Sometimes they're just exactly what you want. I like analogguru's switch choice better though. The unused terminals on those rotary switches just seems wasteful.

Hm... I suppose the "deluxe" version would need a footswitch to go from smooth 'n' slim to shaggy 'n' husky.
rocklander wrote:hairsplitting and semantics aren't exactly the same thing though.. we may need two contests for that.

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

Some background.

Gil Ayan used to post in Ampage and in the Boogie Talk mail list. I think a couple of the Mesa Boogie schematics that are on the net were contributed by him.

From what I remember, the S&S was not a proper "business", it was more like someone at the boogie list would e-mail him and ask, Gil, please build one of those things for me, and he would do it in his spare time. So problably the different caps are because that's what was laying around.

The S&S is not gooped and while he never published the schematic, he never hid that the slim feature was just a series cap for bass cut and the "smooth" was just like a guitar tone knob turned down, and encouraged people to try different caps that sounded best with their guitar, amp and style.

Here's a schematic he published with mods to the Mark I boogie:

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/mesa/

When he published this, he said to look at the input cap mod to learn what the slim part of the S&S was.

http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/mes ... _mod_1.jpg

BTW the idea of cutting bass to help keeping the bottom end of amps tighter is not new, many many people used treble boosters for that. But since Mesa amps have more gain than fender blackface amps, I think Gil realized that just shaping the bass was enough, the extra gain of a treble booster would be too much in that case. For a Fender I'd rather use some simple treble booster.
Some of this quite changes my perspective thanks for sharing!
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

MKB
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by MKB »

soulsonic wrote:I think the concept of this thing is alright... it serves a useful purpose, but well... I'm with unbeliever on this; any attempt at patenting this would be a waste of money. It would be thrown out as soon as it was challenged. A patent is only as valuable as its ability to be defended. It's really damn hard to defend a couple caps and resistors used in a common arrangement to solve a common problem in a manner which any moderately educated technician would have done as a matter of common sense.
I've seen lesser concepts patented; probably its the pedal arrangement makes the simple circuitry patentable. In a perfect world this would prevent anyone from making a similar product and selling it, however he's probably not a big enough fish to defend the patent. If you want a good chuckle concerning patents, check out some of Randall Smith/ Mesa Engineering's patents. He actually has a patent that specifies the use of a large value resistor in the screen grid supply of a tube power amp. If the value is large enough, it helps the tone as you get sag under overdrive conditions. So if you build a standard tube power amp with a screen grid supply using a resistor instead of a choke, and it is arbitrarily large, Randall can sue your butt for patent infringement. If he can get this, Gil should get one for his as his concept is a much better one.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

np

matt239
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by matt239 »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:
soulsonic wrote: It's really damn hard to defend a couple caps and resistors used in a common arrangement to solve a common problem in a manner which any moderately educated technician would have done as a matter of common sense.
You may be right, but if it's a common solution that any "moderately educated technician" would have come up with, how come nobody else has marketed it ? The word "common" would suggest that it would be "widely known", therefore you would expect to see it on the market in several forms. :hmmm:
It's a passive tone control; it's on the market in a thousand forms...

I can't imagine a patent being granted for it, & if it was, it would be rightly "indefensible" in court.

- does that mean the guy shouldn't BUILD them? -- Well, if folks want them, can't or don't care to D.I.Y. it, & prefer this solution to others, why not?

I have mixed feelings about what they cost;
- I understand probably nobody is getting rich selling these, and yet,
- $120 seems like a lot to pay for a box with some caps in it...
It's all seems kind of relative...

In any case, punching anybody in the face might be overreacting... :lol:

Grendahl
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Grendahl »

For those that like little passive tone controls that can be boxed up...

Taken from http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/hom ... trl_af.gif
Resistance is futile...
( if < 1 ohm )

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

If someone has saved AG's schematic could you send it me? Thanks :thumbsup
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

pamaz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pamaz »

a schematic for me too pls...

paolo (at)paolomazza.com

many thanks

bigorangefan79
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bigorangefan79 »

I traced one of these a few years ago. It's not AG's schem, but I think they were the same.
S&S.JPG