Dirty Boy - Octo 59

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Sometimes I really wonder why I bother busting my ass to make something that looks decent for my customers.

Dirty Boy stuff seems to fall squarely into the "No Respect For The Customer" category of booteek builder. No pedal that sells for >$50 should look that shitty.
And don't get me started on those solder joints! Disgraceful. :x
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

soulsonic wrote:Sometimes I really wonder why I bother busting my ass to make something that looks decent for my customers.

Dirty Boy stuff seems to fall squarely into the "No Respect For The Customer" category of booteek builder. No pedal that sells for >$50 should look that shitty.
I agree 100%. Have a little pride in what you do. Give the customer some quality, especially if you're asking an outrageous price. Premium price deserves premium quality, and the Dirty Boy pedals aren't it. The solder joints are horrible, the layout is messy, just nothing done right on the pedal. Honestly it looks like something a kid would make as his first project in shop class or something.

That's one thing about the Klon. I've never had a problem with Bill's price because he provides a premium product. Everything from he casing to the wiring is top shelf. Ebay resellers ask stupid prices, but Bills price seems ok for it.

At least someone paying the $350 or whatever for the Klon knows they'll get something that will last. The Dirty Boy pedals all look like they'll fall apart at any given moment. If the old EH LPB-1 is far better built than the pedal you're marketing then you might want to rethink things a bit.

alteredsounds
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alteredsounds »

That truely is apalling :shock: :shock:

fish head
Information

Post by fish head »

That's horrible. The mismatched knobs look like shit too.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

The guy is an amp Genius; :twisted:
Over the past few years, we have received countless requests from our hardcore fans for me to build them "Dirty Boy" amplifiers. Those amps were specifically designed for live performances. They were very costly and time consuming to build, since they operate on a different system that required seven separate transformers. I could not spend the time to build them and Blues' fans could afford the production costs.
Let me guess..., 'Different system', Power transformer, Output transformer, Power supply Choke, probably a reverb transformer and three transformers brilliantly wasted in a tone stack. :slap:

However, after all, that's just a guess.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

Torchy
Information

Post by Torchy »

Y'know, theres another side to this argument too - "booteek customer syndrome" ...

We've all seen (and most aspire to) the standard of "professional" pedals, eg Boss, Ibanez etc. Trouble is as soon as some people see a green screen printed pcb they scream "mass-market", "built by machine" etc. To be a truly hand-built pedal and justify its braggability it has to be SEEN to be hand-built.

As an example, Paul Cochrane told me that he was going to move to a custom pcb for the Timmy, professionally fabbed. He was politely informed by his customers they WANTED the tri-pad built boards, as they thought the pcb-versions wouldnt sound the same. So Paul continues with the tri-pad board. The customer is always right.

That Dirty-Boy does, somewhat, take the piss though.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

even the stickers look like ass!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Why bother with soldering? Just duct tape that shit together and put it in a junction box.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Torchy wrote:Y'know, theres another side to this argument too - "booteek customer syndrome" ...

We've all seen (and most aspire to) the standard of "professional" pedals, eg Boss, Ibanez etc. Trouble is as soon as some people see a green screen printed pcb they scream "mass-market", "built by machine" etc. To be a truly hand-built pedal and justify its braggability it has to be SEEN to be hand-built.

As an example, Paul Cochrane told me that he was going to move to a custom pcb for the Timmy, professionally fabbed. He was politely informed by his customers they WANTED the tri-pad built boards, as they thought the pcb-versions wouldnt sound the same. So Paul continues with the tri-pad board. The customer is always right.

That Dirty-Boy does, somewhat, take the piss though.
True enough, but Pauls stuff is quality built regardless of whether it was on perf, PCB, or Pop Tarts. He would make sure it was at least soldered with some integrity. :lol:

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

PurplePeopleEater wrote:True enough, but Pauls stuff is quality built regardless of whether it was on perf, PCB, or Pop Tarts. He would make sure it was at least soldered with some integrity. :lol:
Very much THIS. Plus, he charges a very reasonable price for that quality. My guess is the Dirty Boy stuff has a very niche market for cork sniffers that already have very nice amps and very nice guitars, and don't think too much about dropping that kind of cash on this krap.

Maybe lawyers.

Or doctors.

Or lawyers that sue doctors.

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

soulsonic wrote:Sometimes I really wonder why I bother busting my ass to make something that looks decent for my customers.

And WTF is with the fucking paper cutout artwork thats glued to the top and the 3 different kinds of knobs, randomly placed LEDs? The dude is just continually building prototype-level builds and shipping them off. How did they get to be so expensive anyway?

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Because of the Sarasceno name.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

theyear2042
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by theyear2042 »

you have got to watch this clip - this guy says some of the most ridiculous mojo i have heard

BLUES SARACENO DIRTY BOY PEDALS " GERMANIUM BOY "

"tape compression built into the sound" - give me a break!

"a producer favorite used from individual instruments to across the entire mix" - if a producer or mix engineer said to me "lets patch in a guitar distortion pedal to the master bus" he would be fired then and there!

"i use it in reverse" - i think you mean 'i use the tone knob' dude.

check out the other vids on youtube - this guy drips mojo!

2042!

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

wow! you oculd fit a resistor through those holes. wtf... :shock:

moltenmetalburn
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by moltenmetalburn »

I am truly appalled, I wouldnt even pay 20 bux for this thing and thats before seeing the guts! :slap:
"The Humans Will Never Destroy Us"

Spewbag
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Spewbag »

Seriously!! The thing that really bothers me is that it doesn't take any more time to just do it right!!!......and his layout is sh!t to boot.

SirElwood
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by SirElwood »

I would love to see that amp which had different system and seven transformers. But I would not plug in. I don't want to get electricuted, if it's build with same high quality as pedals.

iwantmypie
Information

Post by iwantmypie »

theyear2042 wrote:you have got to watch this clip - this guy says some of the most ridiculous mojo i have heard

BLUES SARACENO DIRTY BOY PEDALS " GERMANIUM BOY "

"tape compression built into the sound" - give me a break!

"a producer favorite used from individual instruments to across the entire mix" - if a producer or mix engineer said to me "lets patch in a guitar distortion pedal to the master bus" he would be fired then and there!

"i use it in reverse" - i think you mean 'i use the tone knob' dude.

check out the other vids on youtube - this guy drips mojo!

2042!
i love how every time he steps on this POS he gets an awesome switch POP. that can't be shitty wiring and shitty grounding. it must me the mojo :roll:
Use boost pedals

tomtom
Information

Post by tomtom »

I tested one of the germanium boy and even if it didn't have a pristine condition, it does sound really good, one of the best rangemaster style
pedal i've tried including AM and others, the producer using this one work with portishead and use it to reamp guitars signals.

Overpriced for sure but really useable.