Zvex - Woolly Mammoth  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
rasta_maleek
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by rasta_maleek »

Seiche wrote:
rasta_maleek wrote:
100_1970.JPG
nothing more to say. :horsey:
ahaha, awesome! :thumbsup
just one question: how? :mrgreen:
i can´t say it stronger, if my wife knew what i did kill me.

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

that's a beautiful build, LaceSensor. the knob placement jacks etc is an inspiration to me, maybe a future build will look like that.

anyway, I love the wooly mammoth. I built one using this layout

which I modified to be smaller and have attempted to redraw here (should work... if not, compare to above layout)

here's my build I'm about ready to box up, shows how tiny it comes out. I'm putting it in a sideways 125B, pseudo vex style, with room for battery, but with metal 16mm pots instead of the green plastic minis. I just know that fuzzes sometimes sound better with batteries I'm not sure if that's the case with this one yet, haven't tested that.

I love this thing. I built one inside of my friend's guitar using a guitarpcb.com PCB, he calls it Troll Boner and plays doom style riffs with it..totally works

I haven't done much with it on bass...but on guitar this is a huge and nasty sounding fuzz tone, great for big powerful riffing to fill up a room with volume

G5120fx
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by G5120fx »

Absolutely great work! :applause:

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

thanks! that guitar one was a really hard job, due to using an inferior tool (a dremel instead of a real router) but I was very happy with how it turned out. It was nice because it was sort of thanks for several nights worth of sleeping on his couch, and he ended up liking it a lot.

one thing I forgot to say about this circuit is, it has a lot of personality. Mike Fuller commented on this during his Fulltone interview with Guitar Center, he said Z Vex pedals all have "colors" or distinctive personalities, which I have found to be true, where Fuller's own pedals he thinks of as "tone tools" which I think is great too. Very utilitarian, sturdily built, and to me even rugged "sounding" in some kind of abstract way. The fulltone pedals all to me seem to have this kind of low mid girth and tight fatness to them, compared to similar circuits interpreted by different builders. I think it's great when a pedal builder can achieve a sonic identity as a designer. It's admirable, really.

gurishka
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gurishka »

Here are a few pics of my build. :D

It took me about an hour to debug. :shock:

:slap: Stupid feedback loop was doing my head in, but I finally got it to work, after cutting wires and resoldering everything.
Attachments
...and the finished thing....
...and the finished thing....
IMAG0335.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
Some internal work...and yes I am using a Millenium bypass with an old dpdt...
Some internal work...and yes I am using a Millenium bypass with an old dpdt...
IMAG0332.jpg (70.24 KiB) Viewed 3871 times

katzup
Information

Post by katzup »

wondering if anybody knew a way to boost the treble on the wooly mammoth. Like I put the stock eq pot at full right and i wish the pot started at that setting when its full left and got even more hi end as you turn it right. I like the amount of bass the way it is so i dont wanna reduce it at all if possible. Does anyone know how to go about this?? Like removing the stock pot after metering the valves at the setting i like, putting a resistor(or trimpot) with the bass value and then a pot to control the highs. but the high value i like is zero so what component can I change the value of to set the maximum amount of highs and do i want to raise or lower the value of the component to increase the max highs? :scratch:

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

finally boxed up the "Woolie Man-Moth" I did for myself!! cool and quirky fart-fuzz-tone

Ibanezsr500
Information

Post by Ibanezsr500 »

monkeyxx wrote:finally boxed up the "Woolie Man-Moth" I did for myself!! cool and quirky fart-fuzz-tone

Did you buy your enclosure from Pedal parts plus? If you did what color green was it painted? Assuming that you didn't paint it yourself...

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

no did it myself from a dark green spray can, probably bought at Wal Mart or maybe home depot.

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

pedal parts plus does great work, though, can vouch for that

1969JPR
Information

Post by 1969JPR »

Hi, I've just finished one of these for a bassist freind and all works great. However the volume is So loud!!. Is there a way to tame this at all? Perhaps just changing the 10k linear pot to a log pot or maybe 100 k log? Has anyone done this with any success? I hope someone can help me with this...

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

use a different pot taper for more low volume range, or, just pad the output with two resistors right before the volume pot (voltage divider)

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

katzup wrote:wondering if anybody knew a way to boost the treble on the wooly mammoth. Like I put the stock eq pot at full right and i wish the pot started at that setting when its full left and got even more hi end as you turn it right. I like the amount of bass the way it is so i dont wanna reduce it at all if possible. Does anyone know how to go about this?? Like removing the stock pot after metering the valves at the setting i like, putting a resistor(or trimpot) with the bass value and then a pot to control the highs. but the high value i like is zero so what component can I change the value of to set the maximum amount of highs and do i want to raise or lower the value of the component to increase the max highs? :scratch:
This question is a year and a half old but using a larger volume pot should do. You could use an RC filter to remove bass but I suspect that would make this one sound thin. A 10K voltage divider output pot is going to be bleeding off a lot of highs on its own, 100K should be more neutral, and 250K or 500K should be fairly bright. Also, louder.

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

1969JPR wrote:Hi, I've just finished one of these for a bassist freind and all works great. However the volume is So loud!!. Is there a way to tame this at all? Perhaps just changing the 10k linear pot to a log pot or maybe 100 k log? Has anyone done this with any success? I hope someone can help me with this...
Monkeyxx has the right idea. Increasing the size of that pot will actually make this one slightly louder.

See, it's acting as a voltage divider. The wiper goes to output, and you're moving it between the circuit and ground.

So the amount voltage permitted out of the circuit is based on the ratio of resistance between the circuit and the wiper vs between the wiper and ground. The size of the pot won't make a difference on this front because the ratios available are still all the same.

However, lower value pots will allow higher frequencies to leak to ground. Since your ears are more sensitive to higher frequency sound, using a larger pot should make the circuit seem noticeably louder.

1969JPR
Information

Post by 1969JPR »

So the options are changing to an A10K pot or using two resistors as a voltage divider? Would just changing the type of pot make enough of a difference? Any suggestions for the resistor sizes or ratio to choose? Would I splice this in where the eq pot feeds the volume pot? Sorry for all of the questions but I have never come across a pedal that was too loud before....

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

An audio taper pot is what you should try. More "finesse" in lower volume settings might be just right for your bass rig compared to linear taper. Only change the value of the pot if you want to change the tone. If it's still "too loud" add a resistive pad near the output for a decibel subtraction of your choosing, using an online calculator of some sort, or trial and error.

1969JPR
Information

Post by 1969JPR »

Ok thanks I'll give that a try.

1969JPR
Information

Post by 1969JPR »

That works great. I really don't understand why it was a linear pot in the first place but never mind this is now a superb pedal. Thanks again for helping me get it just right.

monkeyxx
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by monkeyxx »

Glad to hear it! Yes this one's kind of special I think..nothing else quite like it.

drewl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by drewl »

So I'm building one of these for someone and after some tweaking I think I got it sounding like it's supposed to.
I've been trying some 3904's and 2222's all with a beta of around 180 to 200.
My voltages are similiar to ones I've seen posted here.

it's kind of a nasty gnarly, bassy fuzz, that does some nasty gating thing with the pinch control?

I used the layout way back on the first page here, and have read pretty much this whole thread over the last week.
i used all log pots (all i had) and by putting a 2.2K across the 2K Wool pot, that smoothed out it's taper nicely

I used a .1uf on the end at the tone stack as I didn't have a .22uf, and the tone control didn't do much, tacked across a .22uf I found and now the tone sweep is nice, I may leave as is or put it to .22uf.

Found one demo on youtube that sounded smooth and crisp, more like a slight overdrive, then found another (green version) which sounds just about identical to mine, so don't know if the first was a clone or a different version.

I'll recheck this thread for soundclips.

Anyway, it's okay......not one I'd use, but everyone has different tastes.

Thanks for all the info.