Devi Ever - Hyperion

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

OK, disregard the earlier layout - in this new one I made the necessary adjustment to move the 100n cap. The layouts and schematic have all been corrected now. If there's anything else, let me know. :)
Attachments
E13 BUILDING BLOCK PCB.GIF
E13 BUILDING BLOCK PCB.GIF (33.84 KiB) Viewed 3630 times

xampworshipx
Information

Post by xampworshipx »

Two boards inside. Both are the same, except in one there's a metal can transistor and in the other there's a capacitor. all the caps are labeled 2A10uk tracon, the little black three legged gentleman say fbh52 mps 6111, and both boards have in the same places resistors that read from right to left as follows: top one is red red green yellow, bottom one is gold orange black brown. There is also on the first lug of the control pot a resistor that is gold red black brown. The board wired to the volume pot has the metal can transistor, which is labeled 2N2907, (e3)739MA. I have shitty iphone pictures i'll put up later when my friend sends them to me. I'm trading this out pretty soon, I'm not really crazy about it. I also think it's kind of absurd to suggest it sounds like a big muff, it doesn't. Reviving a dead thread but hope this is helpful, again wiring pictures soon. The boards are floating and wrapped in electrical tape, kinda a no-no in my mind but hey whatever.

leeknpotatosoup
Information

Post by leeknpotatosoup »

Do post photos [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

eoe
Information

Post by eoe »

There were a couple of gut shots at the talkbass forums by user KarateKid25.

I also found this verolayout on a german musikding forum. The layout is drawn and verified by user Staudi.

The schematic is similar to the one provided by Ripdivot, except the 47n C3 cap in Ripdivot´s schematic is substituted by 100n C3 and C4 in series for 50n in Staudis schematic.

eoe
Information

Post by eoe »

Built it from the verolayout. I subbed the MPSA18 with 2N5088 for Q1 and Q2.
hyperion_fin.png
hyperion_fin.png (453 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
I don´t know if the original pedal reacts the same, but the sound was rather splashy even at the lowest gain/control setting. I use a guitar with active pickups, so that might be the cause of it.

I later added simple low pass filtering to the circuit input and output to tweak the tone into a more suitable one. The low pass is reduces volume as well. A bigger gain pot value might have done the trick too.
lowpass.png
lowpass.png (39.62 KiB) Viewed 3087 times

Mochizuki
Information

Post by Mochizuki »

eoe - it looks awesome! could you make some record of that "splashy" sound? i can't imagine what that means as i'm not native english speaker. thanks a lot! and did your modification help a lot? and if it did, how much bigger gain pot value would you recommend?

M.

theavondon
Information

Post by theavondon »

I lol'd @
Now will someone start seplling Hyp clones on the net and make a ton of money? Probably not.

eoe
Information

Post by eoe »

Mochizuki wrote:eoe - it looks awesome! could you make some record of that "splashy" sound? i can't imagine what that means as i'm not native english speaker. thanks a lot! and did your modification help a lot? and if it did, how much bigger gain pot value would you recommend?

M.
Thanks, I used artwork by alex grey for the looks, and sorry, no sound samples, but there was this unmusical noise at upper mid-range region. The volume drop caused by the lowpass was quite significant when I measured it, but didn´t become an issue with my setup. The usable range of the volume pot changed and I keep it pretty much at max volume now. The tweaking did help to smoothen out the sound a little, time will tell how usable the mod actually is, but for now I think that this pedal will stay on my board.

On a second thought, I don´t know how suitable changing the gain pot value would be because the pot is logarithmic, so I´m not sure how usable range the pot would have, but If you want to experiment I guess you could start with 200k lin. And also, please note that I have only intermediate skills when It comes to electrical engineering, so don´t believe what I say! :D

Mochizuki
Information

Post by Mochizuki »

Soo, here is my Hyperion clone - http://core88.rajce.idnes.cz/Professor_ ... G_1437.jpg

I was watching Soul Eater when thinking about the name and graphics for this pedal...:-P The red LED in Stein's hand makes it look even more devilish. Muhaha!

The sound is just as awesome as the look, I just expected the Control pot to have a bigger impact on the sound, but whatever... But there's a thing that I find REALLY annoying... It's the noise gate. It's just waaay too effective :-D I've tried many guitars with different PUs, from Squier telecaster with stock single coils to PRS Cu24 with HFS humbucker, volume pot always on max, the problem is still there. Any idea how to fix this?

Cub
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Cub »

Hello lads,

I'm thinking about building this, but I wonder if it needs some sort of power filtering or not.
What would you say ?

thanks,

Cub
I wish I were a chestnut tree, nourished by the sun.
With twigs and leaves and branches and conkers by the ton.

MildSilverbirdApps
Information

Post by MildSilverbirdApps »

Mochizuki wrote: But there's a thing that I find REALLY annoying... It's the noise gate. It's just waaay too effective :-D I've tried many guitars with different PUs, from Squier telecaster with stock single coils to PRS Cu24 with HFS humbucker, volume pot always on max, the problem is still there. Any idea how to fix this?
I have owned a few of Devi's pedals and have breadboarded most of her circuits, inlcluding this one. AFAIK (and I don't know much... caveat) is that the noise gate effect is a result of the Q2/3 flip flop arrangement and is simply part of the 'deal'. I have tried changing resistor values (Rc) and adding caps/resistors to the flip flop to no avail.

I like it as is though.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

Another verified vero layout:

and for the Hyperion 2:

I originally had a filter cap in the Hyperion 2 as well but it tamed the oscillation too much. It may be that it would be better to omit it from the original too, so I'd probably suggest leaving it out and testing first.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

andregarcia57
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by andregarcia57 »

where do I find PCB version?
thanks!

bbthree33
Information
my favorite amplifier: Modded Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Completed builds: Completed Builds: Bluesbreaker, Black Spider, Soda Meiser, Hyperion, Super Duper 2 in 1, Wooly Mammoth, Zendrive, Timmy, Formula No.5, RAH, Dirty Little Secret, Silicon Fuzz Face, Deep Blue Delay, Green Ringer, EP Booster

Mods: Boss DS1, Proco Turbo Rat, Dunlop Wah

Post by bbthree33 »

Some of the earlier schematics show a 1K resistor off leg 1 of the intensity pot, but Ivlark's layout shows a 10K. I built it using his layout (thanks Ivlark), socketed that resistor and tried both. I ended up liking the 10K best, but I'm wondering which is accurate to the original (didn't see anything earlier in the thread regarding the modification)? The 10K makes for a less splashy/swishy distortion, although this thing is still too over the top for my uses. Thinking of doing the starve pot mod to attempt to tame it.

guitarmongot
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guitarmongot »

Built and verified ivlark´s vero : did a small mod :
I put a 10K trim on Q2/Q3 collector-9V rail:
it controls gateing : you could dial a nice
distortion but without any noise or hiss at al..
and with low setting (2k) you get a splattery
totally crazy starve nasal fuzz..kind of fun..
Thank you Ivlark...again great job :D
/cheers M