Holowon - Static Egg

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Wow, talk about poor build quality. This came in a trade deal, so I went to put a new battery in and TWO wires came off ! The board is loosely lodged in between the switch and the input jack, and the battery is lodged ...well, placed....on the other side of the switch. When I pulled up the battery clip to put in the new battery, it moved some of the other wires...and two of those wires broke at their solder joints ! (1 on the switch, for the LED...the other was a ground wire on the board)

HORRIBLE build quality. I had heard horror stories about these, but found it hard to believe that somebody would put out such a poorly made product...I was wrong. The sad thing is that the pedal itself sounds kind of cool....but I'm half afraid to step on it ! Someday when I can do more soldering maybe I'll build a better quality one.

Anyway, just in case any of you are interested, here's a schematic for it. It's basically two boosters with a Big Muff tone stack.
Attachments
HOLOWON STATIC EGG SCHEM.GIF

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Thanks for the info and schematic!

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

glad to see you stoppin by andy. thanks for the schemo!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I almost want to see a pic of it now, just to view the horror...
Thanks for the scheme; now I'll have a reference if I ever need to repair one! :lol:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

soulsonic wrote:I almost want to see a pic of it now, just to view the horror...
Thanks for the scheme; now I'll have a reference if I ever need to repair one! :lol:
OK, but this is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me... :lol:

Pictures are attached. The wire is so thin that if you breathe on it wrong it breaks. Solder joints are sketchy. The pots - I tossed a bunch in the garbage a few years back (I bought them for 5 cents each) because they were so bad I couldn't even use them for prototyping.

That said, this is a pretty cool sounding fuzz.

Also, you might notice that the board has one more resistor than the schematic...that's a 3k for the LED, so I didn't include it. Of course instead of drilling an extra hole in the pcb to secure the wire, they just soldered it to the underside on the trace. :roll:

Enjoy.
Attachments
EGGTRACE.JPG
EGGTRACE.JPG (62.48 KiB) Viewed 899 times
EGGINNARDS.JPG
EGGGUTS.JPG
EGGGUTS.JPG (63.27 KiB) Viewed 897 times
EGG.JPG

flood
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by flood »

[smilie=a_holycrap.gif]

yeesh, what an unholy mess. that looks seriously disgusting. like the first PCBs i made at home, before i knew what a transistor was, using copper clad pressed-paper board, a marker and FeCl3...

that is definitely the shittiest build quality i've ever seen in a commercial stompbox.
In the interest of full disclosure, I am Animal Factory Amplification.

PurplePeopleEater
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PurplePeopleEater »

:shock:

WhiteKeyHole
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by WhiteKeyHole »

PurplePeopleEater wrote::shock:
:hmmm:

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

wow. those pots are the kind that i see in shitty old japanese transistor radios. really crappy.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Reminds of some things I built in high school before I knew what I was doing... just kinda jam the board in there and hope for the best. Definitely has that hand-drawn-with-marker look to it. Actually, it's not as bad as I expected... not quite on Dirty Boy level in my opinion (which, by the way, is the other place I've seen those cheap pots used...). Of course, the Dirty Boy stuff doesn't seem to break as easily, so I guess it's actually better quality, though I have trouble using the word "quality" in the same sentence as "Dirty Boy". :lol:

What is up with those burn marks all over the board? I can only imagine what kind of iron they were using. Maybe they soldered with a cigarette lighter? :scratch:

WhiteKeyHole wrote:
PurplePeopleEater wrote: :shock:
:hmmm:
:secret:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran