Foxrox - Wah before fuzz retrofit ( buffer )

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

^Yeah, i looked at the datasheet, and that's what I found out, too. :mrgreen:

So just to confirm how to wire this thing....it would be...

wah pot > Foxrox input and Foxrox output > switch output?

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

azrael wrote:So just to confirm how to wire this thing....it would be...

wah pot > Foxrox input and Foxrox output > switch output?
Yup - there's a good picture essay over at the Foxrox site.....

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

I am curious if there is any reason to put this at the end of the wah circuit vs. the beginning of the fuzz circuit. Say you have a buffer at the beginning of your board to set a low impedance for the rest of your board. Wouldn't having the wah changing the impedance for the fuzz be only necessary when the fuzz is on, making it more logical to use it on the beginning of the fuzz rather than the end of the wah?

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

phuzle wrote:I am curious if there is any reason to put this at the end of the wah circuit vs. the beginning of the fuzz circuit. Say you have a buffer at the beginning of your board to set a low impedance for the rest of your board. Wouldn't having the wah changing the impedance for the fuzz be only necessary when the fuzz is on, making it more logical to use it on the beginning of the fuzz rather than the end of the wah?
great question!
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

I believe the fuzz wouldn't clean up anymore with the buffer on.

devastator
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by devastator »

The fuzz (at least the early fuzz like Fuzz face) need to have a high impedance that attacks the fuzz input. It's why you've to place your fuzz face in first position and not after a boss pedal or similar (they've output and input buffer, low impedance) and don't work very well in that position.

But is why I don't understant the role of that buffer in wah pedal, the first role of buffer is to make a low impedance (10K or 100K) so I wonder why fuzz pedals work better with :scratch:

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

I don't really understand the last two posts, so I'll clarify in case I didn't make sense before.

Instead of having a wah that is retrofitted to output a high impedance with a Foxrox buffer, why not have a fuzz retrofitted to have a foxrox buffer before the fuzz circuit but after the switch, to raise the impedance up. Seems like a better idea - that way the fuzz always has its high impedance when it is on, but doesn't affect your whole signal like it would if it was in the wah.

Am I right in thinking that the foxrox buffer is kind of the opposite of a normal buffer?

edited to say: you'd probably also want a regular buffer at the end of the fuzz to convert it back to low impedance, right? So your fuzz circuit would ideally be:
Bypass switch > Foxrox buffer > Fuzz circuit > Regular Buffer > Switch to output

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

I guess I'll just try it out. Will report back later!

sevinisthenumber
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by sevinisthenumber »

i think it makes perfect sense....
"The man who says he knows everything will never know the truth"
C.S. Lewis

azrael
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by azrael »

phuzle wrote:I don't really understand the last two posts, so I'll clarify in case I didn't make sense before.

Instead of having a wah that is retrofitted to output a high impedance with a Foxrox buffer, why not have a fuzz retrofitted to have a foxrox buffer before the fuzz circuit but after the switch, to raise the impedance up. Seems like a better idea - that way the fuzz always has its high impedance when it is on, but doesn't affect your whole signal like it would if it was in the wah.

Am I right in thinking that the foxrox buffer is kind of the opposite of a normal buffer?

edited to say: you'd probably also want a regular buffer at the end of the fuzz to convert it back to low impedance, right? So your fuzz circuit would ideally be:
Bypass switch > Foxrox buffer > Fuzz circuit > Regular Buffer > Switch to output
Use the foxrox as an output buffer for the fuzz? You can...but most people don't like the way it changes the fuzz tone.

blanik
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by blanik »

if you use the Foxrox buffer in front of the fuzz instead of at the end of the wah, it means the buffer will be always there no matter if your wah is on or off, the advantages of that is that you can put other buffered pedals in front of the fuzz, like a tuner, it does respond well to lowering of the volume guitar, exactly as if there was only your guitar straight into the fuzz

if you put in in the wah (at the end of the wah signal path) when the wah is bypassed the buffer is out and you have the vintage "just guitar into fuzz" path

reb
Information

Post by reb »

What are the options for putting the buffer in a positive ground fuzz?

qwixzh
Information

Post by qwixzh »

on the schematic provided by fuzzer, there are 3 non-polarized capacitors but there are only two on the pictures attached by noelgrassy. which one is actually/supposedly correct. just curious. i'm building it though with three non-polarized caps. :)

phuzle
Information

Post by phuzle »

blanik wrote:if you use the Foxrox buffer in front of the fuzz instead of at the end of the wah, it means the buffer will be always there no matter if your wah is on or off, the advantages of that is that you can put other buffered pedals in front of the fuzz, like a tuner, it does respond well to lowering of the volume guitar, exactly as if there was only your guitar straight into the fuzz

if you put in in the wah (at the end of the wah signal path) when the wah is bypassed the buffer is out and you have the vintage "just guitar into fuzz" path
I see what you mean, but I meant that the foxrox would actually be bypassed when the wah was bypassed. It would come right after the true bypass switching, but before the fuzz.

Anyways, I'm going to build one and I'll report back.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

I've got one of these on my bench right now.

I'm installing it with a bunch of other mods in an Ancient Crybaby. I don't want to remove the heat shrink, otherwise I would confirm the schematic. Sorry. I'll see if I can deduce anything not already posted.
Black Dynamite wrote:you need to shut the fuck up when grown folks is talkin.

plotch
Information

Post by plotch »

nevermind, found it

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

phuzle wrote:I don't really understand the last two posts, so I'll clarify in case I didn't make sense before.

the foxrox is a NORMAL buffer. its needed because the WAH misbehaves if placed before High Input Impedance FUZZ, and not the reverse. If you install it INSIDE the switching, the Buffer is only on when the wah is on, and that's the same as true bypass. The Buffer is there to keep the Fuzz from loading down the Wah, which kills the Wah sound.

You don't want to put a buffer in the FUZZ, because you will then lose the loading of the pickups when you connect directly to guitar, this is why the FUZZ can clean up when you turn down.

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

Some misinformation in that post;

Is the fuzz that screws up the sound because its LOW INPUT IMPEDANCE is loading down the previous circuit, so, you could buffer the wah at its output to solve the deal but; it doesn't work because the goddamn picky fuzz will sound like garbage (in a bad way) if you feed it with a buffered signal, so what this little gizmo does is, it isolates the Wah from the fuzz and then roughly simulates your guitar pickups, so the fuzz will be a happy camper.

And, as stated early on the thread by Gus, strictly, this is not a Buffer amplifier, this is an amplifier with Av = 2. Have to correct that 'buffer' thing.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

coldcraft
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by coldcraft »

right, sorry that was just a typo. wah into low input impedance = bad like you said.

buffered output into fuzz = also bad. The Foxrox gives the wah output a higher impedance load and presents a output impedance similar to pickups to the fuzz.

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

buffered output into fuzz = also bad
Not necessarily. Take the Big Cheese for example, which includes an opamp buffer driving a fuzz face. Many people like the sound of that one.