Pete Cornish - P-2 guts

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

Found these pictures a while ago. They don't show much, but it's nice to look at :)
Attachments
Guts 2
Guts 2
Guts 1
Guts 1
P2
P2
P-2.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 7518 times

sergedeep
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by sergedeep »

what an inefficient use of space... whatever circuit is in there, I'm sure we could make a layout to fit it in a 1590B type enclosure

ech0es
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ech0es »

the cornish size is very useful, specialy the depth, if you put a boss pedal (for example) under the cornish, you can switch the both at the same time with your foot.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

Amen to that (inefficient use of space) , but shoehorning stuff in petite boxes is the least fun aspect to making your own effects (IMHO, anyways). Just finished a Eternity (actually it's more a Landgraff/ CJOD clone), for the birthday of a friend of mine (with the hope of getting my TS10 back :-) ) Took quite some "leaning into" to get everything in a B sized enclosure.

The fridge sized power conditioners on his site keep on amazing me, why would you do something like that? If the power goes down, the PA goes as well, why bother having your own stuff up and running? It needs to have just enough time to shutdown gracefully, so it will restart properly.

To keep it on-topic, why would he use shielded coax inside a metal enclosure? And, even though it looks bombproof, I would worry about the vibration behaviour of the relatively heavy cable harness, tieing it to the enclosure would be better I think.

Regards,

Jarno.
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Jarno wrote:The fridge sized power conditioners on his site keep on amazing me, why would you do something like that? If the power goes down, the PA goes as well, why bother having your own stuff up and running? It needs to have just enough time to shutdown gracefully, so it will restart properly.
Maybe the PA also runs on it ?
Or more likely it serves to adapt to any power outlet voltage/frequency during Wolrd Stadium Tours, without worrying for your expensive gear ...
Jarno wrote: To keep it on-topic, why would he use shielded coax inside a metal enclosure? And, even though it looks bombproof, I would worry about the vibration behaviour of the relatively heavy cable harness, tieing it to the enclosure would be better I think.
Even inside enclosure, shielded cable can be useful for signals to be highly amplified, and that could pick noise from another part of the circuit (the worst case being charge pump or digital clock).

I sure looks tough, with nice heatshrink on most wires ends, and more than enough for stage (ab)use, but that's not my definition of "bombproof".
Look at these standing resistors, platic stand-offs, and hanging battery case ...
[smilie=a_doh.gif] nevermind, i should not compare to stuff actually made to survive seismic activity.
http://www.sercel.com/Products/Seismic_ ... ronics.php
ftp://ftp.sercel.com/pdf/brochures/LAUL-LAUX.pdf
I only give negative feedback.

Jarno
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Something nice
Completed builds: Alembic-like state-variable and sallen-key filter preamps
Lovepedal Eternity
Phase 100
Brown source
Fuzz Face
Flipster
Alembic F2B (tube preamp)
Opamp and FET buffers
Loads of speakercabinets and ampracks
Busy building a modular synth (ssm2044 vcfs, preamps, ADSR's, VCO's, VCA's)
Tables
Bookshelves
Basses
So many things! :D

Post by Jarno »

I regularly have things vibration tested for my work, and it's always fun if they have high speed camera footage taken during testing. The things you think are bolted down which are actually doing their little tango! Not sure about standing resistors, but especially the bigger electrolytics are very vulnerable, and the cable harness as well, unless you clamp it to the enclosure.
I hadn't heard of the Sercel company but that's interesting stuff!

Best regards,

Jarno.
"It crackles....., but that's ok"

controller700
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by controller700 »

Aahh - he´s painting the PCBs red like Dennis Cornell does. I don´t have a problem with the size, but to me these Cornish Pedals are the most awful looking pedals on the market! Full with screws and cheesy looking stickers...for an unreal price compared to other manufacurers.

I don´t think that his Line-Drivers, Treble-Boosters and Overdrives are worth the extra cash.

puppiesonacid
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by puppiesonacid »

:roll: yeah, great... pete cornish ...

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

Those battery drawers take up a lot of space but they a nice feature. I agree his pedals are ugly, that utilitarian Navy gray look doesn't do it for me.

bestegw
Information

Post by bestegw »

OK, my first thought was: Wat does this do? So I went to http://www.petecornish.co.uk, which says:
"The PETE CORNISH P-2™ delivers extremely fat, smooth, and harmonically rich distortion tones, ranging from a relatively mellow crunch to searing high-gain sustain. The pedal is also extraordinarily responsive to playing dynamics, cleans up nicely with even slight guitar volume adjustments, and it provides nearly uncanny single-note definition within chords. Finally, it can crank out insane amounts of gain. Astonishing! Extremely fat tone, quiet, great dynamics, infinite sustain, exceptional chord definition".
So, basically it's a Big Muff Pi.

silverface
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by silverface »

His P-1 is supposed to be a copy of David Gilmour's 1974 EHX big muff, and the P-2 is a sort of hotrodded version of that.

David Barton
Information

Post by David Barton »

I fancy the stocky looking gray boxes. They make me feel like there's something important in there, even if it turns out to be average by you all's standards. I really just want someone to trace the circuit so I can PLAY it! My curiosity is killing me and I don't have the skills to trace a straight line. OK not true, I built an SHO last night, but still.

If you guys have an example of a high-quality build, I'd love to see some pictures. Same goes for the "bomb-proof" designs. If this guy is crap, I want to see your A-list builds.

~db

Fuzzer
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Fuzzer »

David Barton wrote: If you guys have an example of a high-quality build, I'd love to see some pictures
There are enough examples here, search a little.
The Freestompboxes Forum search function is soo great, use the search function..., the S E A R C H function.

controller700
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by controller700 »

What da f**k?!
My pulse goes up when I read shit like:
"You can´t see inside the cases - a white strip seals each unit, and if you break it then the warranty is viod - but we´re told that the components are top notch." :slap:

Damn, what´s going on at cornish?!
He copies a Big Muff and puts a sealing on his boxes, so that no one can copy his copy? That´s sick!!
Reminds me of Roger Mayer´s story about Jimi´s Octavio...

controller700
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by controller700 »

biffa wrote:Well,I 'm up on reverse-engineering,but you can't blame a guy for at least trying to protect his product
And no,it's not a big muff
Big muffs don't do subtle,the p2 does
Or do we expect the whole world to just stop making money,and turn everything over to us?
People just wouldn't buy his stuff if it didn't do the job
Gilmour uses a big muff,but he obviously needs a p2 at some time
His gear isn't meant for the bedroom
It's expensive,well built,and has a good following

Amen.

Lovekraft
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Lovekraft »

For what it's worth, I had a Cornish SS-2 and SS-3 about a year ago. They both sounded A LOT like an MXR Distortion +. Neither did much for my LP/Marshall rig, kinda "small" sounding. I had every player that came over check them out, no-one was too impressed. I will say it was DEAD QUIET and very clear/pure sounding. I got the feeling that either would probably work well on stage for some types of music and could be amplified thru a 10,000 watt PA with no issues. Sold'em both for $700-$800 each, don't regret it a bit. Really wanted to poke inside but didn't want the break the "sacred" seal, ha ha.

Ethan

Ripthorn
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ripthorn »

I can understand the voiding the warranty if the seal is broken. If you are the manufacturer, you can do it to protect your circuit or just to make sure someone doesn't do something stupid (some guy with more enthusiasm than sense or know how). I have seen lots of electronics like that. I just think it is crazy to charge hundreds upon hundreds for a pedal, that's why I'm into DIY.
Exact Science is Not an Exact Science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

rcubed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rcubed »

Is it paint or a colored conformal coating? We use conformal coating on our circuit boards at work as a way to trap potential soldier balls from shorting something out.

yeeshkul
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by yeeshkul »

Call me a weirdo but i really like it the old-fashioned way it looks with all that asymmetrically placed screws and funny stickers. Pedals can be easily made ugly, this one is not - there is some sort of harmony when you see all that ugly things together... how is it called ... functionalism? I love it.

Guys what can be the small circuit board at the input and what is the ceramic cap and a couple of resistors fixed right on the output socket? Also do you think he uses a led-free solder? :D
Last edited by yeeshkul on 09 Apr 2009, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.

marwatt
Information

Post by marwatt »

yeeshkul wrote:Guys what can be the small circuit board at the input and what is the ceramic cap and a couple of resistors fixed right on the output socket?
it's not a pre ... is "the buffer"... and me too I would to know what the pourpose of the cap at the output ground.... maybe a MOV? metal oxyde varistor?