D*A*M - Professional Fuzz Sound

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

New D*A*M Fuzz..
yours for a trifling 350 UK pounds ($520.00) (plus Shipping)....
Only 2 will be made per month.. hehe.. this is marketing at it's best..
Driving the price up through demand and restricted supply.

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/fuzzsound.html

culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

what´s that? looks like a simple tonebender clone... I´ll make 10 per month. $5200.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Shoot... I should do one that's entirely point-to-point (none of that cheap stripboard crap), sell it for $1040, and only make ONE a month.

:hmmm:

:horsey:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

I think in the worst case scenario at most the Case and hardware could cost £45, £15 for the 3 Mullards and £20 for the rest and thats being generous and still means 300% profit on top... Suppose it's all marketing these days, could sell a cardboard based board with old parts if you could make it sound mojo enough.

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Yeah, he makes good stuff no doubt, and cares about the parts and quality.. but the prices are getting crazy.
The reputation of his pedals has reached a point that he can play the supply and demand game and reap the benefits.
He runs a list which opened today.. I bet it's full for the next year or 2 already.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

he probably figures he should make the cash instead of the guys reselling. i kind of understand, but man, that's a lot of dough!
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Oh no, it all looks nice enough in there, well built and so on but i'd say £200 for that extra effort but then again, sometimes it can be easy to loose track of a persons living expenses and the effort they put into it, where as some may find it easier perhaps he doesn't but this is only thoughts.

Yea he can play the supply and demand game and to be honest, if you can market it, good luck to you, I think alot people would if they could, I admit if I was doing well enough I'd add 100% mark up (not to the FSB group, you can all have discount :D ) but that will never happen as my pedals are minimalist, clearly hand made (although i'm kinda proud of that, ink jet acetate decals designed by me, hand drilled etc although to alot that ain't anything new)

But I wish him every chance of success whoever he may be (although from the look of his marketing I somehow don't feel he will ever have the success of someone like a mr z vex)

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

putting better transistors into this pedal will make it sound exactly like the D*A*M:

http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/prod ... 9da0692a9b

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

It's misleading that he's only making 2 a month, as far as I know he will be taking names for a waiting list for this one, just like all his other pedals.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i remember reading on the forum that he was only making two a month. it was in the first post about this fuzz.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

RnFR wrote:he probably figures he should make the cash instead of the guys reselling. i kind of understand, but man, that's a lot of dough!
Yeah, that's what I figured... like he sees the crazy prices his stuff goes for on auction and decided that must be what they're worth in the first place.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

foxfire
Information

Post by foxfire »

he can only sell them for that much if people will buy them for that much. i can't think of one time/post that i've read where he threatened anyone in to having to buy one of his pedals...maybe he has. i wish i had his kind reputation.

thorpy6
Information

Post by thorpy6 »

he is indeed only making 2 per month at least until he clears the backlog of mk11 pedals. i am on the waiting list (might as well as the pedal looks really nice) and i got my date for confirmation as January 2014. strange thing is though i just ordered a pete cornish ss3 and P2 and they are going to be ready in june 2009! and he sells to led zep, u2, dave gilmour etc
Owner and chief Solder wielder at ThorpyFx

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

thorpy6 wrote:he is indeed only making 2 per month at least until he clears the backlog of mk11 pedals. i am on the waiting list (might as well as the pedal looks really nice) and i got my date for confirmation as January 2014. strange thing is though i just ordered a pete cornish ss3 and P2 and they are going to be ready in june 2009! and he sells to led zep, u2, dave gilmour etc
Heaven! For that price I could built at least ten fuzzes for you, with the exact same sound...
Why don t you try to built a kit from uk-electronic.de or musikding.de and learn how to tweak it to get the sound you like? I bought my first kit 8 month ago and today I make my own circuit designs, etch my own pcb's etc... It's really not difficult!

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

foxfire wrote:he can only sell them for that much if people will buy them for that much.
Agreed. As long as he can line up suckers to pay that much for a well-built Tonebender, then I say let the money flow.

I'd rather spend $525 on decent tube amp or the parts to build a couple-three tube amps, but hey, there's no accounting for taste. If it makes people happy, who am I to oppose it?

But seriously, that's an outrageous price. :D

thorpy6
Information

Post by thorpy6 »

the thing is, i don't really believe i will end up getting one. i am on the list but the wait is ridiculous so its a case of just seeing what happens. I have built 100% accurate buzzarounds etc for myself so i understand the price is ridiculous. i just wanted to see how close to the start of the list i could get as i do want to hear what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately i was under anaesthetic in hospital when the list opened so my wife had to enter my details at 1800 hrs 1hr45 minutes after the list opened. hence the 2014 delivery. I have found the forum to be cold and unfriendly though which is putting me off overall, i got several stern retorts when i questioned the fact that only rich people or friends of dave main could buy the pedals.

playon
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by playon »

2014! :roll:

I figure by 2010 I'll be pretty darn good at making my own pedals, so forget it. The DAM forum is OK but you have to take it with a grain of salt -- it's not some much "moderated" as it is controlled. I'm not going to try to get any more stuff over there although I may still take a chance at the occasional ebay stuff they put online. I will say this for Dave's stuff, he is the master of the fuzz. His "clones" sound a lot better than most builders, he's got great ears, and uses excellent quality parts.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i really love the aesthetic that he has, and the pedals obviously are well built and sound awesome, but this kinda gets me thinking...

maybe the reason they are so expensive is because he is taking inflation into account for his future orders. 2014 prices in 2009. [smilie=a_chuckle.gif]

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

thorpy6
Information

Post by thorpy6 »

What i don't understand is this..... i can build a complicated pedal from scratch including painting and laquer etc in 1 day or 12hrs. If the case is predone i can have a pedal like this one built in 3hrs at leisure and i have a full time job. why only two a month?

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

playon wrote:2014! Dave ... uses excellent quality parts.

Have a look at the picture above... ThatÅ› the same quality as in any BYOC-kit... And any serious builder should tell his customers that the "mojo" carbon resistors have only one influence on the sound: They increase the noise...

And tweaking a fuzz means measuring the hfe and leakage of three transistors and maybe playing around with some resistor values. That price is nothing but ridiculous... And his designs are really nothing special as well... Anyone can learn to built pedals like that in a week or two.
why only two a month?
That's capitalism...