Schumann Lion X

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
omarvolta
Information

Post by omarvolta »

"Play from your fu*#%ng heart!!!!" Bill Hicks.

JOHNO
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by JOHNO »

Wow i cant believe people actually pay for shit like that. That is really poor workmanship. Dont the makers of this pedal have any pride? Ive built a box or two that look a little bit better than that one maybe i could get $550 for them. Maybe ill put them on ebay and see.

squrl
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by squrl »

really great graphics/layout on the enclosure... a shame that the wiring looks terrible

audioguy
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by audioguy »

wowza! Maybe thats some type of deterrent? Maybe they think that much spaghetti might make people think twice before attempting to R.E. the pedal?

diggum12
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by diggum12 »

I was about to jump on the "neatly perfect visually appealing wiring is overrated" bandwagon.

Then I saw the pics.

Man I don't think even my first build was that bad. That's horrendous. Can you say "oscillation?"
"Now we cheer if someone get's a tweed champ working. I feel like the future was here and we traded it away for trinkets." -diagrammatiks

ayayay! on the other site

Naz Nomad
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Naz Nomad »

diggum12 wrote:Can you say "oscillation?"
Sorry, can't speak Latin ... but I know some Italian.

SPAGHETTI. :lol:

Holy crépe, I've thrown away tidier builds than that.

noise31
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by noise31 »

mmmm,,,BETTER:::::::
SCHUMANN PLL.....I WANT

soggybag
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

Hmm hard to say whether it's good or bad, have to hear it first.

The interior doesn't look that great. The exterior is pretty good though. Not sure if I'd want to make something with that much internal wiring. I think I would try to think of a layout to simplify it. No wonder he charge $500 it looks like a nightmare to build!

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

yeah, not super pretty inside, is it?

the PLL is great. nothing short of amazing really.
anyone know what's going on with this guy (builder) now? back in production? still MIA?
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Stopped using amps mostly...
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

That's a shameful piece of garbage.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

yeah. that really is a shame.

i was thinking of trying to make a workalike of that complementary fuzz face thing that builds. it sounds interesting. not quite sure what the difference would be though.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

soggybag
Solder Soldier
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

The PLL sounds like it might be pretty cool and unique. But, I haven't heard one yet. They seem sort of rare. It would be great to see a schematic for any of the effects by this guy.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

soulsonic wrote:That's a shameful piece of garbage.

agree......did somebody noticed that PCB is cutted in the same way(size) as MXR boards?
https://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t39 ... CN1828.jpg
b.

lynessmy
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lynessmy »

alternate form of goop :lol:

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

soggybag wrote:The PLL sounds like it might be pretty cool and unique. But, I haven't heard one yet. They seem sort of rare. It would be great to see a schematic for any of the effects by this guy.
The PLL is really really really (etc.) cool. They are rare. Not sure HOW rare (I've heard conflicting reports of total number of units produced), but certainly not common. I got lucky as a buddy of mine has one. I played around on it for an hour and was highly intrigued. It is cool as all hell.

Sadly, I don't have any experience with any of this other products.
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

soulsonic wrote:That's a shameful piece of garbage.
The guy that bought it basically said it doesn't sound all that great either.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Stopped using amps mostly...
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Any interest I had in seeing or possibly tracing any of the Schumann pedals is totally gone now. Not even the PLL... I don't care how cool it's supposed to sound; I could probably design something that does the same thing and does it better, so I see no need to even bother.

I'm really disappointed. I'm glad the guy shared the inside of that before I actually tried to get one... I would have been so mad if I spent money on that.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

soulsonic wrote:Any interest I had in seeing or possibly tracing any of the Schumann pedals is totally gone now. Not even the PLL... I don't care how cool it's supposed to sound; I could probably design something that does the same thing and does it better, so I see no need to even bother.

I'm really disappointed. I'm glad the guy shared the inside of that before I actually tried to get one... I would have been so mad if I spent money on that.
People really flip a shit over these pedals and what amazes me is that they reference so many musicians who have used them. They throw out radiohead this and bjork that, but its not like those musicians built their sound around the Schumann pedal. They probably used it for one 10 second overdub on a record. If it was like Muse with the fuzz factory, and every single song was 100% fuzz factory, I would get it.

omarvolta
Information

Post by omarvolta »

For some reason I can't stop staring at the guts of the PLL....

"Play from your fu*#%ng heart!!!!" Bill Hicks.

soggybag
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by soggybag »

I'm still intrigued by the PLL. I'd be very curious to see a schematic for this. I'm sure it has a very interesting concept behind that is based off on app note some where. I'm guessing it uses PLL (duh) like a 4046.