Rockbox - Boiling Point  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

Hi
I have re-checked the layout comparing it with a Landgraff DOD's working layout and it semms to me that the layout is OK.
Thare must be any error in populating the pcb or any bad component (maybe any electrolitic or tantalium cap)
I'll let you know
Hot

hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

No way
i can not make it work
HEEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hot

hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

1) wrong transistors orientation
2) wrong drive wiring

hot

hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

this project does not work
i'll redesign it
hot

Troll_face
Information
Completed builds: 6n2p valvecaster, bazz fuss, boiling point overdrive, silicon fuzz face, plexi drive, germanium green muff, rust driver, les lius

Post by Troll_face »

I'm building this pedal, but couldn't find a 4,99m resistor, so I bought a 5,1m instead. Will it make any difference? BTW i found a verified vero on sabrotone.com
http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/upl ... gPoint.gif

mrkaploca
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by mrkaploca »

no it won't.

fuzzlab
Information

Post by fuzzlab »

pago85 wrote: The Boiling point looked a not just clone of TS.
I am wondering if anyone find a reason why BP is higher volume out put.
I do not have one here, but I am suspecting they use common emitter circuit on both
in and out buffer section. this is the reason why yellow tantalum besides transiser (or) Fet.
A common Emitter circuit is like this, http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbasees ... npnce.html
Any idea, please :D
It has more output volume because its higher clipping level. A tube screamer has a clipped signal of 1,2 volts peak to peak. Boiling has 2,4 volts in asymmetrical and 2,6 to 3 volts (depending on the manufacturer) in the LED's clipping.

Troll_face
Information
Completed builds: 6n2p valvecaster, bazz fuss, boiling point overdrive, silicon fuzz face, plexi drive, germanium green muff, rust driver, les lius

Post by Troll_face »

I made it using the vero layout, but i'm facing some problems. First, the boost mode has much more gain than the other two modes. Second, the bass switch isn't working. Has anyone got any ideas what may be the problem?

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: orange 30r
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

hey Troll_face, I built this awhile ago from the same layout.
It sounds like the problem is coming from the switches(wiring), but also check the orienting
of the diodes.
On the layout, it says CLIP SW2 to BASS SW2 (I ran a jumper from switch to switch)
look at the layout ...clip switch 2 (middle) is off , only goes thru R6 to drive, you should have basically boost only.
clip SW1 uses the LEDS and clip SW3 uses the diodes. clip switch - on off on type spdt bass switch - on-on spdt
Unless I'm out to lunch. Take a long look to see that all is correct.
I usually blame the layout , swear a bunch of times....look at the schematic, look over the vero, then realize I did something dumb, like forgetting a resistor or miss a aligning on a row. Then once it finally works, i think WOW what a smart fella I am :mrgreen:

Good luck
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

fretzburner
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fretzburner »

hotguit wrote:LAYOUT NOT VERIFIED - IT DOS NOT WORK

Hi
here is the layout for boiling point based on schem on page 3
I built it and it does NOT work
It seems ok to me but it does not work. It is quite as a grave, no sound at all (neither ssshhh or hum or anything else; absolute silence)
So can anybody take a look at the layout? Maybe i made a mistake in populating pcb but not sure
thank you
hot
Error: Transistor base and collector inverted(base is center) and your clipping diode should be 1 vs 3 diodes not 2x2diodes.That's all i saw error and the rest are okay.

Troll_face
Information

Post by Troll_face »

Finally i made it working. However on the boost mode, when i roll of gain to get a clean boost, output is very low and it still isn't completely clean. Is it how it should or should i check again for mistakes?

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: way huge lama, its8, eternity, ppp800, dod250, zendrive,colorsound overdriver, timmy,bluesbreaker

Post by joeboo88 »

Hi, Troll_face sorry your having trouble, with the switch centered your boost should be pretty loud with no gain. Is the electro cap C9 oriented the right way?
Neg should face the output connection ...sometimes its hard to diagnose a problem, without things like voltage readings and pictures.

good luck.
Ebay is a fucker ~ Sinner - If this is something unique, then I'm a teletubbie ~also Sinner

joeboo88
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by joeboo88 »

sorry i meant it should be loud, with not much gain. I'm not home and i cant remember if the pedal works with no gain, i suspect it does.

Troll_face
Information

Post by Troll_face »

I checked soundclips of the pedal on youtube again. Mine sounds just like it should. I was just expecting much more from it since I saw the proguitrshop demo. :)

hotguit
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hotguit »

fretzburner wrote:
hotguit wrote:LAYOUT NOT VERIFIED - IT DOS NOT WORK

Hi
here is the layout for boiling point based on schem on page 3
I built it and it does NOT work
It seems ok to me but it does not work. It is quite as a grave, no sound at all (neither ssshhh or hum or anything else; absolute silence)
So can anybody take a look at the layout? Maybe i made a mistake in populating pcb but not sure
thank you
hot
Error: Transistor base and collector inverted(base is center) and your clipping diode should be 1 vs 3 diodes not 2x2diodes.That's all i saw error and the rest are okay.
Thank you
i just noticed wrong transistors orientation but i missed diodes orientation.
I'll try to fix it
thank you
Hot

bencoles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bencoles »

IS HARALDS VERO WORKING??

VonRutter
Information

Post by VonRutter »

I don't know from personal experience if Harold's veroboard is working (though it says "VERIFIED" right on it). The simplest, quickest, and less-potential-for-failure way to build a BP clone is to just get a TS808 PCB and modify the changed values on the board. Then off-board wire the clipping & bass options directly on the toggle switches.

If you don't know how to read a schematic yet to do this, this is the perfect time to learn, since it's relatively simple & TS808 boards are easily available from several sources. Here's just a few:

http://buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... gory_id=16
http://www.tonepad.com/tonepadshoppingcart.html
Owner & designer at VFE Pedals. Please email me directly at peter@vfecustom.com if you need a quick response.

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

VonRutter wrote:I don't know from personal experience if Harold's veroboard is working (though it says "VERIFIED" right on it). The simplest, quickest, and less-potential-for-failure way to build a BP clone is to just get a TS808 PCB and modify the changed values on the board. Then off-board wire the clipping & bass options directly on the toggle switches.

If you don't know how to read a schematic yet to do this, this is the perfect time to learn, since it's relatively simple & TS808 boards are easily available from several sources. Here's just a few:

http://buildyourownclone.com/overdrive.html
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/com ... gory_id=16
http://www.tonepad.com/tonepadshoppingcart.html
remember about madbean's GreenBean :thumbsup
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/G ... enBean.pdf

hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

bencoles wrote:IS HARALDS VERO WORKING??
Should work. I built this one myself just to verify the layout and I had no problems with it.

bencoles
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bencoles »

thanks everyone!!