Toneczar - Openhaus  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Whoismarykelly wrote:Why was my post in this thread deleted?
It wasn't. It was moved to the Catfight thread by one of the other mods.
Whoismarykelly wrote:What did you think of the request on the bottom of the pedal that asked people to not post photos of the PCB on the internet?
I think it's just what you said it is: a request. The owner can either comply with or ignore the request.

Maybe the builder should require all buyers to sign a non-disclosure agreement when they buy? And somehow word the contract agreement so that it automatically transferable to subsequent owners? :scratch:

Now one of the other mods can move this to the catfight thread? :lol:

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

cpm wrote:wow
6 opamps for tone shapping, isn't that a little overkill?
Let's see you do it with less! :roll:

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

kusi wrote:i made a redraw of the circuit for better-reading ;) thanks a lot for your work abfackeln!! :)
Thank you for the re-draw, kusi. I had started re-drawing it in my notebook so I could understand it, but now you have done the work for me! :D
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

soulsonic, kusi, guiddruid - you guys are my heroes this week...... Let me know what else I can provide out of this thing while it's sitting here gutted.

plugzzzz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by plugzzzz »

GO!!! freestompboxes team!!

guiddruid
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guiddruid »

abfackeln wrote:Sold! Just ordered one.... thanks for the help.
Cool! That's dedication... should be no mystery at all about suitable transistors :D
You will need to disconnect at least 2 of the pins of the transistors to measure them correctly. Don't forget you don't necessarily need to remove the transistor from the pcb, you could remove the component they are connected to instead. For Q6, for instance, you could lift one leg of R29, R30, and disconnect the wire to the wiper of the gain control. Easier to find replacement passives than unknown transistors, should something go awry.
Might be the safest approach for Q3 and Q4 (suspected germaniums), as I _think_ they are more sensitive to heat damage than Si parts?

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

guiddruid wrote:You will need to disconnect at least 2 of the pins of the transistors to measure them correctly. Don't forget you don't necessarily need to remove the transistor from the pcb, you could remove the component they are connected to instead. For Q6, for instance, you could lift one leg of R29, R30, and disconnect the wire to the wiper of the gain control. Easier to find replacement passives than unknown transistors, should something go awry.
Might be the safest approach for Q3 and Q4 (suspected germaniums), as I _think_ they are more sensitive to heat damage than Si parts?
Good advice indeed. I'm pretty handy with an iron and component removal, but this certainly sounds like a safe approach, particularly with those (suspected) germainums. At least this board is pretty solid, unlike the p.o.s. board that was in the Snow White Auto Wah. The slightest bit of heat lifted the traces right off the board.

FWIW, I paid $88 (shipped) for my Peak Analyzer direct from the mfg, using the link that Brink provided.

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

discussion on the Atlas transistor tester was moved:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7737
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

Now you post pictures? Shit, I could have saved $500! :slap:

(just kidding, btw)

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

abfackeln wrote: Image
Thanks for the great work Abfackeln!, much appreciated.

Having said that, it's another example of a poor layout. When are boohteakers finally going to learn design proper layouts instead of diy-ing all into place till it fits.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:Having said that, it's another example of a poor layout. When are boohteakers finally going to learn design proper layouts instead of diy-ing all into place till it fits.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, but what is it about that layout that is in bad form?

Your insight is much appreciated.

guiddruid
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guiddruid »

2007 version is slightly different then; extra pole on the mode switch, to halve the value of R37 in crunch mode (giving a bit more treble?). Any other changes?

Saruman, did you measure Q3 and Q4, or are the Hfe values an educated guess?

Any idea what the two plated holes marked "1" & "2" are for?

Dirk - are you planning an Dirk-special? PCB mounted pots, sockets, switches & so on...? :D

Saruman
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Saruman »

Q3 and Q4 is ГТ404Д or Г, Е in Russia.
See 2n1306 or 2n1308 in Europe or in f***** USA
Openhaus is no good in low gain!

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

guiddruid wrote:2007 version is slightly different then; extra pole on the mode switch, to halve the value of R37 in crunch mode (giving a bit more treble?). Any other changes?
Interesting.... that extra pole of the mode switch ties to R36 of the mid switch and an extra resistor that's not on my board (next to R42) that ties to pin 5 of IC2.

Saruman wrote:...or in f***** USA
Dang man, that's cold!

abfackeln
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by abfackeln »

guiddruid wrote:Dirk - are you planning an Dirk-special? PCB mounted pots, sockets, switches & so on...? :D
Do they make a right-angle pcb-mount dual-ganged pot (for the tone control)? I've been looking but haven't been able to find one.

guiddruid
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by guiddruid »

alpha have some;
http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/html/9mm_pot_13.html
http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/html ... ot_21.html
no idea if these are any good (not even sure if the 9mm parts are really dual gang - looks like one pin too few), but I am sure there must be _some_ good quality pots of this type. Finding somewhere which stocks them will be another thing. :?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

ideally the dual ganged pot should be reverse logarithmic for better adjustment.

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

SPeter wrote:On the topic: THIS UNIT DOESN'T CONTAIN RUSSIAN TRANSISTORS!
I think he meant that those are Russian equivalent to what is used. They certainly don't looks like GT404 in the foto.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

SPeter wrote::
The fact you've reversed this unit doesn't give you the right to insult people like that!
uh, forgive me if i'm wrong, but to me it looks like a lot like kusi's schematic with "cracked in russia" stamped on it.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO