LAL - Oscillo Fuzz (Lastgasp Art Laboratories)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

Here we go!
SCHEMATIC[/url]

:popcorn:
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

soggybag
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: Fuzz Face, Tone Bender, Big Muff, ICBM, Ugly Face, Green Ringer, Super Fuzz, Multiplex Echo, Multiplex Jr, Rebote, Echo Base, SHO, Fuzz Factory, Titan Boost/Octave, Easy Face, Tone Bender MkII, Trem Shifter, Zero Point Mini...

Post by soggybag »

Thanks a lot. This was a very curious device. From under the hood it looks very random.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

The Adjust control circuit is a positive feedback loop. This is what creates the oscillation. The switches do things to change the timbre and frequency of the oscillation. That's really all there is to it. The extra element you don't see in the schematic is the guitar's pickups and controls, which can have a very pronounced effect on how the circuit behaves. This is good because you can easily change sounds by making adjustments on the guitar without needing to bend over and mess with the pedal. You can leave it on one setting and get many variations from it with just the guitar's volume knob and pickup switch.

My favorite sounds are when you get it to produce a deep synth tone that is controllable by the notes you play on the guitar - though what comes out is not necessarily the note you played! As chaotic as it is, I am finding it to be very useful and playable. I would say it's more than just a noisemaker; with careful adjustment, you can use it as a mutant guitar synth.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Hi,

I'm probably wrong, but somewhat this reminds me of the Tim Escobedo Triple Fuzz. :hmmm:
Nevermind, thanks for the work and schem! :applause:

Cheers
Helge

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: ‘65 Twin Reverb
Completed builds: Fuzz & Preamps mostly.

Post by bumblebee »

Thanks for doing this one Martin! :applause:
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

this thing is freaky weird! [smilie=huh.gif]
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

noise31
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by noise31 »

it;s a nice fuzz,,,,,,,

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

That's a sweet PCB. The board mounted switches save a nightmare of wiring.

Thanks for the schematic, soulsonic! Good eye catching that resistor.
Dick joke has expired.

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

Did you guys know that this "Japanese'" company actually builds its pedals in Sydney Australia? Yep, they guys Japanese but he lives in Sydney. I saw it on their website last year or the year before but up till then I thought they were made in japan.

Or something like that anyways.
I so dislike the modern digital world that I need to use semi-digital effects to emulate the analog world of cassette, VHS, and vinyl.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

bumblebee wrote:Did you guys know that this "Japanese'" company actually builds its pedals in Sydney Australia? Yep, they guys Japanese but he lives in Sydney. I saw it on their website last year or the year before but up till then I thought they were made in japan.

Oh, I see. That answers the question I had about it. I saw the "Made in Australia" sticker on the back, and it really confused me because everything about the website suggests that it's a Japanese thing.

It also had a warning that it was built "using special tools" and said that this might render it impossible to re-assemble if taken apart. I didn't have any trouble putting it back together and the most specialized tool I used was a nutdriver.

oldgravity
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oldgravity »

soulsonic wrote:
bumblebee wrote:Did you guys know that this "Japanese'" company actually builds its pedals in Sydney Australia? Yep, they guys Japanese but he lives in Sydney. I saw it on their website last year or the year before but up till then I thought they were made in japan.

Oh, I see. That answers the question I had about it. I saw the "Made in Australia" sticker on the back, and it really confused me because everything about the website suggests that it's a Japanese thing.

It also had a warning that it was built "using special tools" and said that this might render it impossible to re-assemble if taken apart. I didn't have any trouble putting it back together and the most specialized tool I used was a nutdriver.
I think that's just "psychological goop".

Steven_M
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Steven_M »

oldgravity wrote:
soulsonic wrote:

I think that's just "psychological goop".
Perhaps it's in reference to the 4PDT. Arent those still pretty unreliable? If you mounted it back in the case and set it up too high, it would probably be very easy to break.

This is a guess, but judging by the giant washer used on the switch (inside) from the gut shot... :hmmm:

bumblebee
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by bumblebee »

soulsonic wrote:

"A MOJO RISING"

Jim Morrison.
I love the look of the stomps they use though. And its good to see a decent company come from Australia.

seele
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by seele »

Hi there,

is there already a pcb/vero layout out there anywhere?
I'm already working on one... still busy getting the layout right...
Has anyone already built this?

seele
Information

Post by seele »

*bump*... Some treat for you...

Also... here's the already verified layout. Only one little flaw: I don't know if the switches are reversed... :roll: but it works fine for me though.

Have fun 8)
Attachments
Oscillo Fuzz.pdf
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 685 times

noise31
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by noise31 »

fkng AWESOME.......tnks,,,,

entropicp
Information

Post by entropicp »

@seele...

Looks nice!Lots of switches. Can you put some sound samples up?

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Enjoy!
:D

seele
Information

Post by seele »

http://lalweb.com/fxsamplesounds.html

Last one is imho the best sample. At least it encouraged me to build this effect.
Well, sorry no samples of mine... i'm not the guy who likes to record stuff to put it on the net :roll:
Also I don't play guitar... btw, it works really fine with bass, too :D

Edit: sorry, i was too slow ;)

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Thanks, seele!
Dick joke has expired.