D*A*M - Fleshhead  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
bootle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bootle »

zoikes!! 1,500 snots, that's 2,300 dollars!
http://cgi.ebay.ie/DAM-D-A-M-FLESHHEAD- ... 255a87988d
:shock:

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

bootle wrote:zoikes!! 1,500 snots, that's 2,300 dollars!
http://cgi.ebay.ie/DAM-D-A-M-FLESHHEAD- ... 255a87988d
:shock:
Wow. Well no one's bought it yet, but God there are some retarded people in this world if anyone does.
when you buy a Rolls Royce you dont ask how many MPG you get
What a nob :lol:
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

bootle
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bootle »

whilst trying it , it has been nested on softest tissue paper 4 ply of course
rofl

I wonder did he wear white gloves when he held it too.
The screenprint had few minor blemishes on these , that is what makes them what they are
honestly..

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

Man what a shame.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

Kollaps
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: "boutique" + bass boost + diode selecting TS808
"Civil War" Big Muff
D*A*M Drag'n'Fly x2
D*A*M Fleshhead
Gristlizer

Upcoming and/or currently on the bench:
FrequencyCentral Murder One
AD-80/AquaPuss
D*A*M Meathead

Post by Kollaps »

Lol, yeah, the 4 ply tissue comment killed me. 4-ply "of course" as if we'd be fucking stupid to use anything less.

My clone may be sporatically functioning and with less than stellar transistor gains, but mine cost about $15US. Compare that with the £1550 STARTING bid (with s&h), and I'm more than okay with trade off.

Why in the blackest depths of he'll would anyone spend £1550 on a pedal? You can buy a vintage orange for that much...

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

Kollaps wrote:
Why in the blackest depths of he'll would anyone spend £1550 on a pedal? You can buy a vintage orange for that much...
why for the
focused treble ripping to a massive blackness
of course!

keep your fucking mullards, i'll take the motorcycle.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Krallum
Information

Post by Krallum »

This will be my first build from scratch. Any recommendations on getting parts? I've been looking on Mouser and just kind of going with whatever category has the most components, which i'm sure is not ideal. Also is there a quick diagram for switches on this site?

johnnyg
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by johnnyg »

Krallum wrote:This will be my first build from scratch. Any recommendations on getting parts? I've been looking on Mouser and just kind of going with whatever category has the most components, which i'm sure is not ideal. Also is there a quick diagram for switches on this site?
Others can help with sourcing parts in the USA (guessing that's where you are if you're looking at Mouser). Look here for wiring and switching diagrams and info: http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/
RnFR wrote:
Kollaps wrote:
why for the
focused treble ripping to a massive blackness
of course!

keep your fucking mullards, i'll take the motorcycle.
No-one has made the starting bid of £1,500 yet... why not? This is the
Mullard holyest of grail OC81D
:lol:
Mangle the English language why don't you in your pursuit of dirty profit? 'Holiest grail' would be figurative - but the 'of' in that statement suggests we should take it literally. Grail, I believe, comes from medieval French for dish - so this guitar pedal is the holiest of dishes. Even holier than the one Jesus drank from at the last supper. That could be construed as blasphemy I think.
Yet to break through the Space Charge

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: DIY Hiwatt DR504

Post by gilmour_pugliese »

hi guys!
I've built this pedal with 3 AC128 (hfe: 70 on q1, 90 on q2, 120 on q3) with a 20k trimpot on q3 collector and 50k on q2 collector. Sounds amazing but with a less sustain that I've expected... Looking the schematic I've noted that the q1 base resistor is too low compared with the some MK2 schematics (100k)... a 100k is better?

just one note: don't bias q3 at 4,5v... the pedal is fizzy and have a too low output. Increase the voltage up to 7v, and you have a more focused fuzz effect and a lot of output!
Attachments
47185_1545993140278_1548515862_1348206_2619488_n.jpg
47185_1545993140278_1548515862_1348206_2619488_n.jpg (61.02 KiB) Viewed 2621 times

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information

EDIT: this afternoon I've spent some time tweaking the trimpots... and the results are very strange :hmmm:

I've used this voltage chart:
http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=20

OC75 MkII (10K on Q1 base, 47K on Q2 collector)
Battery -9.01
Q1 c -8.50 b -0.038 e 0
Q2 c -0.13 b -0.076 e 0
Q3 c -8.29 b -0.13 e -0.08

and this:
http://home-wrecker.com/tbmk2.html

Q1 c -8.67 b -0.082 e 0
Q2 c -0.560 b -0.121 e 0
Q3: c -5.07 b - 0.563 e 0.441

So, I've biased Q2 and Q3 with DAM voltages and the pedal has a lot of output but the sustain is not incredible and the fuzz seems to be gated :scratch:
After I've tried the Mindbender voltages... and now the pedal is pretty compressed and with a good note decay.

Anyone has the same issue? I've read that q3 wants to be biased at 7v, but IMHO the result is awful... no singing sustain!

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

Ditch the trimpot on Q3's collector and stick the 8K2 back in. Change the trimmer on Q2's collector to 100K. Shoot for 6-7V on Q3's collector and you should be back into the right ballpark. No need to over-complicate it! The trimmer on Q2's collector will bias better than a trimmer on Q3's collector.

Personally I like 10K on Q1's base to ground better than 100K so I would leave that alone. 100K is too much in my opinion.

Give that a shot!

Image Ken

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information

phibes wrote:Ditch the trimpot on Q3's collector and stick the 8K2 back in. Change the trimmer on Q2's collector to 100K. Shoot for 6-7V on Q3's collector and you should be back into the right ballpark. No need to over-complicate it! The trimmer on Q2's collector will bias better than a trimmer on Q3's collector.

Personally I like 10K on Q1's base to ground better than 100K so I would leave that alone. 100K is too much in my opinion.

Give that a shot!
Thank you phibes... but a trim on q3's collector setted on 8,2k isn't the same as a 8k2 fixed resistor?
What's the right voltage on q2's collector? IMHO 130-200mV is too low... I've the best results on the 500-700mV range :scratch:

Also, I've tried a 100k on q1's base and there's a lot of fuzz... the fleshhead is without the FUZZ pot so too much gain is useless :horsey:

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

A trimmer set to 8k2 would be the same but people tend to get tweak happy whenever there's trimmers in fuzzes! The trimmer on Q2 is really all you need. Two bias trimmers in this circuit would be madness! Personally, I always leave the 8k2 in fuzzes and never fuck with it. If you look at gut shots of all the old Tone Benders and Fuzz Faces, how often have you seen that 8k2 resistor changed rather than the collector resistor on the stage before it? (Excluding Si versions obviously) I think that's something that gets overlooked.

Image Ken

gilmour_pugliese
Resistor Ronker
Information

phibes wrote:A trimmer set to 8k2 would be the same but people tend to get tweak happy whenever there's trimmers in fuzzes! The trimmer on Q2 is really all you need. Two bias trimmers in this circuit would be madness! Personally, I always leave the 8k2 in fuzzes and never fuck with it. If you look at gut shots of all the old Tone Benders and Fuzz Faces, how often have you seen that 8k2 resistor changed rather than the collector resistor on the stage before it? (Excluding Si versions obviously) I think that's something that gets overlooked.
Hey man, you're in the right!!! I've sticked the 8,2k and tweaked the trimpot on Q2's collector... So, the Q3's collector is useless: if you turn up the trimpot on q2, the voltage on q3's C decrease, and viceversa... less tweak and less time to spent on biasing! Now, with a 8.5v battery, I have 0,3v on Q2's collector and 6,5v on q3's collector, and the pedal sound really good 8)

Thank you very much for you "Tonebender Biasing" lessons! :horsey:

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phibes »

Glad to hear you got er workin!

Image Ken

Didi&Stulle
Information

Post by Didi&Stulle »

Hi,

what a nice pedal - finished mine last week. Sounds really awesome. Thank you phibes for sharing your vero-layout and your explanations on biasing the transistors. I had the same issues as gilmour_pugliese at first but tried several trannies with different hfe - huge diversity in results: went from low volume, no sustain and thin fuzz (unmachted trannies) to wreck my speakers (well matched transistors).

P.S. still feels weird to use the word tranny - since google gave me some unsettling results once :lol:

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Attachments
fleshhead.png
fleshhead.pdf
(15.25 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

SpencerPedals
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by SpencerPedals »

FYI - That vero layout above shows a 10uF electro where a 4.7uF would be on the schematics I've seen. Was that a mistake or did they actually use the 10uF as an alternate part?