Analogman - Sun Face (Sunface)  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

Hi All
I have very few btk efx, so I'm gonna share the little I have!
Nothing new here, plain FF thing, but I guess the interesting thing are the voltages, for they show how the holly NKT275 trannies behave in a "benchmark" FF clone.
No gains for the trannies coz I wanna resell it flawless, but it reads low on q1 and hi on q2. They look darn new too, so does the nkt275 silkscreen.
I bought it only to see how far or close my builds were from a "pro FF", and guess what... I like mine better! :lol: More gain and texture is my thing anyway.

snail
Last edited by modman on 08 May 2015, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed dead links to gut shots

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

Very nice, thanks!

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

BTW: Mike used to send out PCB's of the Sunface if you sent him a dollar and a SASE. Don't know if he still does, though it may be worth asking.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

Does anyone know who makes the knob/trimmer or a mouser part # for something similar?

The Rotagilla
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by The Rotagilla »

madbean wrote:Does anyone know who makes the knob/trimmer or a mouser part # for something similar?
Bourns 3/8" trimmer. Just choose your pin spacing and body orientation.

frank.clarke
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by frank.clarke »

vanessa wrote:
Holy crap Batman! Those transistors look like the NKT was marked by hand with a marker. Is that really a AM pedal?
Newmarket trannies, or magic marker, I use NOS `60s sharpies, less harsh in the high end.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

The Rotagilla wrote:
madbean wrote:Does anyone know who makes the knob/trimmer or a mouser part # for something similar?
Bourns 3/8" trimmer. Just choose your pin spacing and body orientation.
Thanks!

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

The Fuzz pot is also an "on / off" switch to conserve battery life.

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

MoreCowbell wrote:
The Fuzz pot is also an "on / off" switch to conserve battery life.
Thanks!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

axiss
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by axiss »

vanessa wrote:Holy crap Batman! Those transistors look like the NKT was marked by hand with a marker. Is that really a AM pedal?
A friend of mine who had seen one of those said the NKT transistors inside it looked EXACTLY like some japanese "SB" type he had lying around. I thought that was pretty strange...

jakerandall
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jakerandall »

Is there new production germaniums?

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

jakerandall wrote:Is there new production germaniums?
Yes

Do they sound any good ?

None of the ones I've tried.

gtrwrks
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by gtrwrks »

madbean wrote:BTW: Mike used to send out PCB's of the Sunface if you sent him a dollar and a SASE. Don't know if he still does, though it may be worth asking.
Just a few months ago, Mike sent me a SunFace board for a buck - he stated 'no tech help for a dollar'; with this in mind - I guess he still does this to some extent.

The circuitboard is of very nice quality - I still haven't built it yet - I don't really love/like fuzz that much - Still, I intend to get to it. For one thing, I don't have any great qual Ge trannys that I would want to use - I could socket for those, but that's a crappy connection - I'd rather solder them in - at least after taste-testing them.

Mayniac
Information

Post by Mayniac »

Anyone took a peek what's going on inside the silicon (bc108) version?

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Mayniac wrote:Anyone took a peek what's going on inside the silicon (bc108) version?
Silicon Fuzz Face with a bias pot. Pretty simple.

Mayniac
Information

Post by Mayniac »

MoreCowbell wrote:Silicon Fuzz Face with a bias pot. Pretty simple.
Yep, pretty obvious. But I was wondering if he'd maybe tweaked some capacitor values, added ceramic caps between base/collector, used different value pots etc....

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Mayniac wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:Silicon Fuzz Face with a bias pot. Pretty simple.
Yep, pretty obvious. But I was wondering if he'd maybe tweaked some capacitor values, added ceramic caps between base/collector, used different value pots etc....
Not that I'm aware of. I believe its pretty much a (well built) straight clone.

snail
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by snail »

If it follows the Ge mod, the only different thing from the original shematic would be 1uf for the input cap.
Other than that I'd assume a ceramic disc from base to colector on Q2 ranging from 47 to 220pf. The power rail resistor lowers from 470r to 330r normaly on the Si version.
These are assumptions, ok?

The bias pot (sundial) may be 5K like GE version, as it ranges only a couple of volts dc up and down.

snail

Zztop128
Information

Post by Zztop128 »

Do the transistors have to be mated in a (this)fuzz?

vanguard
Information

Post by vanguard »

frank.clarke wrote:
vanessa wrote:
Holy crap Batman! Those transistors look like the NKT was marked by hand with a marker. Is that really a AM pedal?
Newmarket trannies, or magic marker, I use NOS `60s sharpies, less harsh in the high end.
do you guys actually think analogman would have the gall to lie to thousands of buying customers? i bought one of these because i wanted a FF with the correct transistors before they became truly extinct. i noticed analogman recently changed his description of his NKT transistors which concerned me. he now calls them "new" transisors (in quotes like that), but still says they are early 70's make. now i'm all paranoid. but analogman seems like a good, honest guy to me. certainly not one who would risk his entire business pawning off fakes to thousands of people.