Diamond - Compressor [new gut shots added]  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Coolcat0078
Information

Post by Coolcat0078 »

Has anyone tried out the vero layout?

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

give the vero a try and let us know

Coolcat0078
Information

Post by Coolcat0078 »

I bought the parts a few days ago. Still waiting for them.
When I have some progress I will surely let you know but I was just asking if maybe someone else tried this layout..

hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

Just verified the vero layout I posted on page 4. I replaced the odd values with cheap and common replacements, used 2N3904 throughout, and rolled my own opto-coupler with an LDR, a LED and some shrink tube. Worked nicely!

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

so it's nice?
how is the sustain? can you do clean sustained solos?

hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

I can hardly play so probably not. But seriously, there's demos of this thing on youtube. I think it sounds nice, but I encourage you to build one and try for yourself.

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

the pedal sounds good to me in PGS demos, the only thing i'm not sure not is sustain, but i guess i have to try it to be sure

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

if you want sustain then try out a tc electronic sustain+parametric EQ, I have a reissue, the compression it's pretty transparent and it can sustain for years!
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

thanks Gila! i'll see. really i'm looking for something diy, but there's not a winning candidate for now,so let's give space to anyone

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

once again does anyone know what it's like on a bass or at least try a bass on theres to let me know or is it only guitarist on this forum? I'd love to know so i don't waste my time putting it together for bass. I have no problems in putting one together its just so many times i think oh this one sounds great put it together to then find out it sounds terrible on a bass guitar. As it was soley designed to be effective on a guitar. I do know that you double the caps in the signal path for bass but that doesn't fix everything. If anyone knows the changes on the diamond bass compressor please let me know. cheers

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

pietro_moog wrote:thanks Gila! i'll see. really i'm looking for something diy, but there's not a winning candidate for now,so let's give space to anyone
I was having a look at the TC Sustain the other day, and was considering designing a PCB and vero layout for it, without the equaliser section (which always seemed superfluous to me). I used to own one of these, and the sustain was amongst the best. It has the advantage of not requiring opto-couplers, and doesn't use the 3080. It also has "low level expansion" - better known as a noise gate - which I found to be very useful.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

lietuvis
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by lietuvis »

seedseed wrote:once again does anyone know what it's like on a bass or at least try a bass on theres to let me know or is it only guitarist on this forum? I'd love to know so i don't waste my time putting it together for bass. I have no problems in putting one together its just so many times i think oh this one sounds great put it together to then find out it sounds terrible on a bass guitar. As it was soley designed to be effective on a guitar. I do know that you double the caps in the signal path for bass but that doesn't fix everything. If anyone knows the changes on the diamond bass compressor please let me know. cheers
For bass search for THAT4301 compressor, build it ( you can try it with nonlinear capacitor for timing capacitor which will help with low frequency ripple and improve overall distortion of circuit. All info can be found on THAT CORP web site) , it will not disappoint you, its a studio quality in a stompbox. In other hand opto compressors sound good too. For bass compressor very important is side chain circuitry than audio path ( I might be wrong but its my opinion).

seedseed
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by seedseed »

Thanks for your response lietuvis, I have found that opto compressor are great for bass the la-4 would be great for the job. The thing is some of the pedals getting around the schematics aren't far of in size of some of the so called studio compressor's The whole thing is is in diy how good you are in fitting lots of circuitry knobs and switches into a smaller box. Obviously if your power supply is not in the box most so called studio compressor's can easily fit into a stompbox. You just don't get things like vu meters and stuff like that. Unless your highly inventive and work out a way of maybe doing a led vu meter or otherwise your a genius and manage to stuff everything into a small box. If you look in the cases of most studio compressor's theres a lot of room to breath. Thats why you see so many get released as pedals. Especially with the advent of surface mount. Some of the more how would you say more featured lets put it seem to be going more and more surface mount. the hardest thing to identify on surface mount is the capacitors there generally not marked and hard to identify on the board ( although if you know a good technique let me know) and on the down side you start squinting like mr magoo by the time you have finished trying to trace one. the compressor that i heard a lot of bass players like is the EBS multi comp that sucker is surface mount i would love to get my hands on a schematic for that one it looks really good but yeah if one is patient enough you never know.

pietro_moog
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pietro_moog »

hi guys!
i'm thinking about building this comp.
so, while i wait to build a new pedalboard and a proper power supply, i need to know whether a 18v (icl7660s) pump could power all those transistors and opamps
in a good way.
any experience?

fosnal1950
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by fosnal1950 »

I was having a look at the TC Sustain the other day, and was considering designing a PCB and vero layout for it,
Please do Mictester ! I have been wanting to build this one for years but haven't got the time unfortunately.

Would be great if you could post it here !

Alf

benobo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by benobo »

Hi guys,

a quick question about the 3PDT wiring;

1 = circuit out 4= Jack In 7= 9V
2= Jack out 5= Circuit In 8= R40(from schematic)
3= Jack In 6= Grd 9= Grd

Can anyone tell me if it is correct?

Thanks

hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

9= Q9 emitter / R39.
Other than that it looks ok.

Brink
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by Brink »

Ripdivot wrote:Has anyone figured out what the transistors are yet?
Transistors are 2n5088 (Q2,Q4,Q8,Q9), 2n4401 (Q5,Q6,Q7), MPSA18 (Q1,Q3).
WhiteKeyHole wrote:Doesn't really matter. All the common stuff will work.
Pretty much. I tend to think of 2n5088 as the most generic transistor in existence, 2n4401 as half-gain 2n5088, and MPSA18 as a double-gain 2n5088.

O.B.Y
Information
my favorite amplifier: marshall jcm 900
Completed builds: - rebote 2.5
- fuzz face.. fuzz factory with 2n404 transistor's
- electric misstress flanger
- balck cat hot cat
- big joam
- tremulus lune
and many more..
because im still learn more for it..
:)

Post by O.B.Y »

can i ask sir..
about the ic op275.. can it replaced with other series?

koy2012
Information

Post by koy2012 »

thanks for the schematic and gut shots,now i'm just waiting for the parts to finish it
if anyone have finished,please give me some tips :applause:
sorry for my poor English :oops: