Bearfoot - Candy Apple Fuzz  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
ch1
Information

Post by ch1 »

When I look at the schematic for Univox Superfuzz I see that the restor at the same place as R14 goes to +9v and not to ground. Should'n it be the same in CAF because if R14 goes to ground there is no way to get positive voltage at the base of Q4?
Maybe thats why it gets quite on one half of the nature pot? Is it realy 10k and not 51k as R16?

ch1
Information

Post by ch1 »

I'm wondering about the scehmatic in this thread and if it's really correct. When I compare it with the pictures on the circuit board, resistors and capacitors do not match. Attaches an updated schematic from my conclusions. What do you say is this possible?
Attachments
Candy Apple Fuzz2_corr.jpg
CAF_värde1_720.png

ch1
Information

Post by ch1 »

When you look at the right place the solution might be simple! I think the tone control is the same as in Artic White fuzz, at least the values are the same. But I also think the AWF schematic is wrong and R12 is shorted out. The connection should be between lug 1 and 2 and not 2 and R12 as in original schematic.
I now post what I think is the right shematic for the pedals on the pictures earlier in this forum. I dont have the 2N1308 so I've built it with 2N3904 and think it sounds and works close to that of the demos, but I have to test it more.
The first half of CAF is almost the same as Pink Purple Fuzz and there the C6 is an electolyt as I can see on some pictures.
Attachments
arctic_WhiteFuzz_berafoot_korr.png
Candy Apple Fuzz2_corr.png

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I ran a circuit simulation of the last corrected circuit first with germanium transistors and then with silicon transistors but I couldn't adjust the circuit.
First of all I have to take a closer look at the circuit and understand it.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

ch1 wrote:When you look at the right place the solution might be simple! I think the tone control is the same as in Artic White fuzz, at least the values are the same. But I also think the AWF schematic is wrong and R12 is shorted out. The connection should be between lug 1 and 2 and not 2 and R12 as in original schematic.
I now post what I think is the right shematic for the pedals on the pictures earlier in this forum. I dont have the 2N1308 so I've built it with 2N3904 and think it sounds and works close to that of the demos, but I have to test it more.
The first half of CAF is almost the same as Pink Purple Fuzz and there the C6 is an electolyt as I can see on some pictures.
you might be right, looking at another gutshot, both 51k seem to be going to the top plane which seems to be connected to V+.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2582 times

ch1
Information

Post by ch1 »

Yes, and thats the way Univox Superfuzz is done. On the picture of the gated version they both changes to 100k.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

With this circuit I got the same DC voltages as in the Unicord/Univox Super Fuzz circuit diagram.
The circuit simulation starting with the coupling condenser C7 worked well.
Try out the following circuitry.
CandyAppleFuzzSiliconMod.jpg

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Here you can see the output signal of the simulation with the frequency doubling.
CAF_Octave.jpg

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

how does the nature control influence it to either end setting?

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

If the input signal of the phase inverter is smaller than about 650mVp the output stage distorts in the range of about 0-30% and 70-100% with the same frequency of the input signal,
in between with the double frequency.
Below 50% the output signal is in phase with the input signal above it is in opposite phase.
The higher the input signal the larger the range beyond the middle position of the Nature Potentiometer where the octave effect starts.
CAF50-200mVp.jpg
CAF300-700mVp.jpg

ch1
Information

Post by ch1 »

Thank you for a good explanation how the nature knob works. I just want to tell the Nature control is nothing new for CAF that's just the inside balance conrol from the Univox Super Fuzz with adjusted values. 10k pot and 22k resistors in the Super fuzz
Attachments
univox_superfuzz_crop.jpg
univox_superfuzz_crop.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 2428 times