Ohnoho Utter Stutter

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

Thanks man. I really appreciate that. It was a "labor of love," and for what its worth, it certainly wasn't a "quick layout."
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

jfromel
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jfromel »

So is this thread abount the circuit analysis of the OhNoHo Utter Stutter or a discussion on Perf Board? If its the former I could contribute, if it's the latter I have nothing to say.

BTW I have an Utter Stutter here at the shop, the 555 timer makes a pretty anoying click

culturejam
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by culturejam »

jfromel wrote:So is this thread abount the circuit analysis of the OhNoHo Utter Stutter or a discussion on Perf Board? If its the former I could contribute, if it's the latter I have nothing to say.
Apparently it's both. :lol:

If you want to contribute, feel free.

If the off-topic is objectionable to you, I would be happy to move it to its own thread. In the old days, modman would've nuked this wacky perfboard discussion a long time ago. :mrgreen:

Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: too many. too many.

Post by Jack Deville »

555's can be current hungry little ICs. They can also impart a fair amount of noise onto ground without proper decoupling.
I played around with them a while ago as they offered a simple oscillator solution, but in the end, I found them poorly suited for audio. Then again, a lot of the designs we love are "poorly suited for audio."
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

lama00
Information

Post by lama00 »

I really 'd like to build this pedal but I'm not able to dissect all the circuit...

Can anybody help me by drawing the schematics on the basis of the pics I've taken ?

Tx

oldgravity
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oldgravity »

lama00 wrote:I really 'd like to build this pedal but I'm not able to dissect all the circuit...

Can anybody help me by drawing the schematics on the basis of the pics I've taken ?

Tx
No need to dissect this circuit. You could do much better.

Use any optical trem circuit. Tremulus Lune is good; also I have a DIY tap tempo optical trem that I sell PCBs for if you want tap tempo.

Now make a simple feedback looper. Replace the pot with the LED/LDR or vactrol in the trem. There you have it.

555s make crappy trems for the reasons mentioned by Jack and jfromel. Opamps are better.

jfromel
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jfromel »

oldgravity wrote:
lama00 wrote:I really 'd like to build this pedal but I'm not able to dissect all the circuit...

Tx

Use any optical trem circuit. Tremulus Lune is good; also I have a DIY tap tempo optical trem that I sell PCBs for if you want tap tempo.

Now make a simple feedback looper. Replace the pot with the LED/LDR or vactrol in the trem. There you have it.

555s make crappy trems for the reasons mentioned by Jack and jfromel. Opamps are better.

Now were talking, I just got a bag of VTL5C3's itching for a home. How bout a link to where to get your PCB and post the schem that we can discuss and we have nice project on it's way. I really like the idea of the Utter Stutter but the implementation is lacking IMO. Not a slam on Lawrence, he is really creative and has some awesome ideas. I have one of his Chk Chk Boom pedals as well.

lama00
Information

Post by lama00 »

jfromel wrote:
oldgravity wrote:

Tx

Now were talking, I just got a bag of VTL5C3's itching for a home. How bout a link to where to get your PCB and post the schem that we can discuss and we have nice project on it's way. I really like the idea of the Utter Stutter but the implementation is lacking IMO. Not a slam on Lawrence, he is really creative and has some awesome ideas. I have one of his Chk Chk Boom pedals as well.
It could be nice.

I will look at the tremulus lune schem.

As jfromel said it could be nice if you could give the link (or better, the schematic :mrgreen: ) of your tap tempo optical trem.

.Mike
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by .Mike »

lama00 wrote:As jfromel said it could be nice if you could give the link (or better, the schematic :mrgreen: ) of your tap tempo optical trem.
Here's the off-topic rundown. This deserves its own topic over here. It was truly a group effort by the DIY community, and is an excellent project. There is so much potential for the chip that was used.

This is the design topic, and you can get the board here. The schematic is here. It evolved from the pic trem that I put together using the open-use VCLFO 9D, which is a merger of the Tremulus Lune with a superior (imo) LFO. After a group effort headed up by Tom at ElectricDruid and a few members at DIYSB, the LFO was converted to a free-use tap-tempo. Taylor then headed up the discussion and adaption for the final tap tempo tremolo. He designed, debugged, and had professional boards produced, and he has them (with LFO chips) for sale at a reasonable price. :)

Mike
My website: America's Debate | My effects site: Just one more build...

oldgravity
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oldgravity »

Thanks Mike, was going to post this but you beat me to it. If it's unclear, "Taylor" = oldgravity.

lama00
Information

Post by lama00 »

Hi,

I just bought everything to build a Tremulus Lune. Waiting for my order arrives..

I let you know as soon as I build it in the feedbacklooper

inlifeindeath
Information

Post by inlifeindeath »

So i spent a bit on a diy layout, it should be about 99% done. if somebody wants to double check it and maybe clean it up a bit, please feel free. I didn't have a file for the opto, so it just has solder pads and no part. also there aren't any resistor values and the cap values are educated guesses sans the electros which i'm pretty positive about.
Attachments
ohnoho utter stutter.diy
(6.53 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

jfromel
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jfromel »

inlifeindeath wrote:So i spent a bit on a diy layout, it should be about 99% done. if somebody wants to double check it and maybe clean it up a bit, please feel free. I didn't have a file for the opto, so it just has solder pads and no part. also there aren't any resistor values and the cap values are educated guesses sans the electros which i'm pretty positive about.
The opto looks like a VTL5C3 but it's installed upside down on the one I have here so I can't be sure of the model. Also mine has latching and momentary and an expression jack.

oldgravity
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by oldgravity »

If you're set on using a 555, you probably want to use a super slow opto to help with ticking. The NSL-32 is actually pretty good for this, cheaper than the Vactecs, and smaller to boot. Allied has them cheaper than Small Bear.

A Trem Lune will still be way better than a 555-based circuit, but I know people seem to love that 555 for some reason. :| If you must use a 555, the CMOS version is lower current and so will tick less.

jfromel
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jfromel »

I created a board layout for a modified tremulus lune with added LFO with space for send/return for a feedback loop, also added a filter cap and protection diode to the power rail. I credited Dann with the schem and sited his license as non-commercial use only. If 4ms or Dan have any problem with this please let me know and I will pull the file or site credit however you would like.

I have VTL5C3's here so I made space on the board for that as well as a regular bourns trimpot. I did they layout a bit different than Dann but everything else is pretty much the same

THIS IS NOT TESTED, I am going to etch a board tonight and may get around to the build in a week or so. Any input would be appreciated.
Attachments
Super Board PCB inverse.pdf
ready to etch layout
(18.89 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Super Board Layout.pdf
component layout
(15.56 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

lama00
Information

Post by lama00 »

Thank you for it.

I will try to draw a vero on this basis

neoflox
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by neoflox »

News? :popcorn:

Thaxt
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Thaxt »

Ah - I was fooled by the two "5"s that were visible, thought it was a 5532....indeed, the 555 timer makes more sense.

Simplicity can work fine, tho.

Somebody should graft this type of effect onto a tremolo circuit, as an additional function.

noise31
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by noise31 »

ANY NEW´SSSSS?

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

inabox wrote:
Sweetalk wrote:Why perfboard!?!?
ask PaulC (tim, timmy), he had to switch back to perf since the users didnt like the sound of timmy pcb version (it says the legend, i think i read it on TGP).

PCB's are better, more consistent and saves tons of time, but some people like to do everything on perf
Pardon me if this has already been responded to, but point of note, Paul has never switched back to perf since he moved to printed circuit boards. He has had two versions of the board, but once he went to pcb he never built perf again. I was just flipping through threads and noticed this, wanted to set it straight.