Rockett Blue Note OD  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..

Post by Greg »

Here's the more sensible version..
  • 0K resistor removed.
    FAT pot jumper removed.
    Addition of 1K resistor to create a proper filter on the input.
    Power Supply resistor value increased.
These few simple changes are the minimum mods it really needs IMO.
I would have made the 2nd opamp stage a buffer, but that would change the effect of the tone control, and probably require some part value changes there, and as I haven't tried it I left it out.
Attachments
BlueNoteMod.bmp
BlueNoteMod.bmp (901.71 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

Good work...
:thumbsup

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

The addition of the "FAT" pot resistor was probabally only included on the pcb etch in case the builder had no 25k pots left allowing him to fit a 50k pot and a resistor to bring the effective value of the pot down to 25k
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Greg
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Greg »

Ice-9 wrote:The addition of the "FAT" pot resistor was probabally only included on the pcb etch in case the builder had no 25k pots left allowing him to fit a 50k pot and a resistor to bring the effective value of the pot down to 25k
No doubt..
it wasn't on the board, it was tacked onto the pot.
Greg_G wrote:Finally, the FAT pot is marked on the board as 25K, but I'm guessing they ran out, so it's a 50K with a 47K resistor across it.
I've drawn that and the 0K resistor before the Vol pot in to be true to the traced unit, but both are unnecessary... i.e. use a 25K pot and omit the resistor.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by indyguitarist »

Greg_G wrote:
Ice-9 wrote:The addition of the "FAT" pot resistor was probabally only included on the pcb etch in case the builder had no 25k pots left allowing him to fit a 50k pot and a resistor to bring the effective value of the pot down to 25k
No doubt..
it wasn't on the board, it was tacked onto the pot.
Greg_G wrote:Finally, the FAT pot is marked on the board as 25K, but I'm guessing they ran out, so it's a 50K with a 47K resistor across it.
I've drawn that and the 0K resistor before the Vol pot in to be true to the traced unit, but both are unnecessary... i.e. use a 25K pot and omit the resistor.
the reason for the resistor was because there was a shortage of pots a while back. Jay had to use a larger pot and parallel a resistor for the correct value.

Quietus
Information

Post by Quietus »

hi, sorry for bumping this old thread. i would like to know if anybody else have tried the above vero layout(w/ mods) and got it to work? im getting a short at row 9v and the other end of 56ohm(basically the whole stretch is shorted; only separated by the trace cuts) while giving it my feeble attempt at troubleshooting lol. :P i checked my vero to the layout given and i'm positive that i got all the positions right. i tried to find if i, by accident, soldered some things together to prolly caused that short but i just couldn't find one. signal could pass through if i touch my input jack to lugs 2 and 3 on volume, all 3 lugs on tone and gain pots. i measured using my multimeter and got 0v going from 9v to 56ohm. not sure if it's supposed to be measured that way lol. sorry for sounding like a noob because i am one hehe :oops: i dont really have that technical or electronics know-how in me but im learning things as i go. im new to all these pedal building. so, any help would be appreciated. thanks!

foo_3001
Information

Post by foo_3001 »

I´m interested in the Blue Note / Animal strictly from a musician´s point of view -

opening it up even a total pedal-construction-n00b could see they´re not exactly the most well-wired boutique ODs out there,

but I´m interested in what is the technical detail that allows the transparency / even bass response they have? They´re a bit on the cheapo side of things (and my ears tell me there´s a lot of TS in there) build-wise, but after making an extensive A/B test with 10+ boutique ODs I hate to admit they sound quite good..

foo_3001
Information

Post by foo_3001 »

foo_3001 wrote:even a total pedal-construction-n00b could see they´re not exactly the most well-wired boutique ODs out there
(..just had to add : "even a total pedal-construction-n00b LIKE MYSELF could see..")

Quietus
Information

Post by Quietus »

okay i take back what i said above. turned out i've got a faulty supply jack. :slap: the vero is verified working! :horsey:

distortion_gfx1
Information

Post by distortion_gfx1 »

Anybody got a Pcb layout for this..?

im kinda into lazy-ness right now. :mrgreen:

Jonotron
Information

Post by Jonotron »

Hi there, built one of these the other day and it sounds quite nice but with a few slight issues. I ran a 47k resistor between lugs 1 and 3 on the fat pot (50k B) and it seems to only do anything at the very end of the pot's travel between say 3 and 5 o clock. Lugs 1 and 2 are jumpered together. Is this correct?
Also what is the deal with the LED out on the board? - I normally use a true bypass switch so I connected it to ground for the moment, is this needed?
Many thanks for the layouts etc!

jbgron
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Orange OR-120

Post by jbgron »

Has anyone got a copy of Güero's layout? uploaddearquivos.com.br times out for me.

Many thanks.

MoonWatcher
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by MoonWatcher »

foo_3001 wrote:but I´m interested in what is the technical detail that allows the transparency / even bass response they have?
Well, quite a few people consider the Timmy to have a transparent sound. This pedal is similar in that the bass is cut in the same way - just different amount of cut and at a different frequency. The tone circuit is also similar to a Timmy - simple low pass filter. The quad of silicon diodes is also similar to a Timmy - they will give you a greater range before you notice their effect on clipping than something like just a single silicon pair in a Tubescreamer will.

The quad of diodes isn't unique to the Timmy. You'll find them in the Barber LTD and the old Marshall Bluesbreaker, just to give two fairly familiar examples.

The tone circuit isn't unique to the Timmy either - it's most well-known use in a similar configuration is likely to be considered the ProCo Rat.

There's a few ways that it can seem like you've lost the transparency, especially with the example of something like a Tubescreamer. Its fixed bass cut removes frequencies at around 700 hz and below, and there's no way to adjust the bass cut like with this pedal. It has a fixed treble cut that removes at roughly the same frequency. The tone circuit can then either cut more treble or try to offset what has been removed by the fixed cut that comes before it. So removal of the Tubescreamer-type tone circuit replaced with just a simple adjustable single pass filter will open things up quite a bit.

The Blue Note has a very small gain range, so it's not going to get very distorted or compressed sounding. You can think of it as having a portion of a Tubescreamer's sweep through the drive knob - about 60% of it, as a really rough non-technical estimation.

It's the simplicity of the filters that allow for what you hear: input / bass cut / gain and overdrive stage / treble cut / output. There's nothing else to really color things - the simplicity is good for users who like this.

xbobbytherookiex
Information

Post by xbobbytherookiex »

Hi guys. Could anyone tell me how could I mod this pedal to have a liltle more gain? If I change all diodes to 1n914 will that do it or increase value of gain pot?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Increasing the gain pot to 100k is probably easiest, or you could lower R4 (resistor off the inverting input of the opamp) to 470r. If you swap the double pair of diodes for a single antiparallel pair, it will sound more distorted as the "clipping threshold" will be lowered.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

xbobbytherookiex
Information

Post by xbobbytherookiex »

Thank you very much Nocentelli for a quick reply. I will change gain pot to 100 k.

storyboardist
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by storyboardist »

distortion_gfx1 wrote:Anybody got a Pcb layout for this..?

Almost 5 years late, but here's one. :lol:

287m
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by 287m »

storyboardist wrote:
distortion_gfx1 wrote:Anybody got a Pcb layout for this..?

Almost 5 years late, but here's one. :lol:

[ Image ]
wow David, awesome layout, but why jumper :P
i know you not jumperman guy type :mrgreen:
blue note board can built rocket animal too :D

storyboardist
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by storyboardist »

287m wrote:wow David, awesome layout, but why jumper :P
i know you not jumperman guy type :mrgreen:
blue note board can built rocket animal too :D
Haha yeah... :oops: I figure if I get all 4 pots board mounted having 1 jumper isn't that big a deal. Maybe I'm just getting soft on jumpers in my old age. :mrgreen: