The Tube Screamer: A Short History

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Trying to make a movie when you have no footage...

On the part where Wampler demonstrates how widely 500k can differ in value I just want to point out: one measure 511k, the other 476k while both are sold as 500k pots... but traditionally you could only buy 470k pots in Europe (following the resistor values) while US had 500k pots. Recently production of most of this went to China, maybe they build both 470k and 500k minipots. Somehow they got mixed up or marked wrong, or a resistive strip fell in the wrong box...
And yes 511k or 476k in you master volume does make a difference, but only when you turn the knob all the way up.

And again, no mention of http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/t ... sxtech.htm ?
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

karul
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by karul »

Same as for 250k and 220k. I wasn't happy with their choice of pedal builders too, but still I like all their videos from that series “A short history", check that channel - Five Watt World. I think they are worth watching, that was the reason I've shared the video.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

modman wrote:China, maybe they build both 470k and 500k minipots
It's cute that you'd think they make two versions and not just aim for 485 and bin according to what's closest :D
And we're talking about the gain pot, which would have an influence at all but the lowest setting in the TS.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

F-me...
If you make a documentary... pls do you homework correct. It's full of evident errors, and unfounded claims.

show a TS10 circuit board with the Maxon logo in full view and state that they werte not made by Maxon...... How tough can it be.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Is this just a bj for someone in the film ?

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

As someone who only recently got back into pedal building after a few decades away most of this was new to me and explains the YATS thing.

Ok it might not be 100% accurate but what on the net is! :lol:
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012