B.L. Philips, PW 35W Guitar Amp, Practical Wireless, May 1964

Free online ressources on guitars, amps, effects, guitar technique and more. Dedicated to the fond memory of its founder SPeter Davidoff.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

This came up in the facebook group Vintage Guitar Electronics from Magazines.

There are not too many tube guitar amp designs to be found in vintage magazines. So this really raised my brow - this whole issue of Practical Wireless from May 1964 is full of guitar related ads too... and it's all thanks to the boys from Liverpool of course...

EF86s tube, 807 power tubes...

schematic pdf:
PW_64_BP.pdf
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 219 times
article pdf:
Practical Wireless PW 35W guitar amp.pdf
(755.54 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

PW_64_BP_01.jpg
PW_64_BP_015.jpg
PW_64_BP_03.jpg
PW_64_BP 02.jpg
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

ppluis0
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by ppluis0 »

Nice article modman !!!

The drawings of the underside of chassis (showing component and wiring placement) are the equivalent to publish the vero or stripboard of solid state assemblies.

Let me add an article about 807 tube, that can be considered as a close cousin of the more know (in guitar amps) 6L6GC:

https://www.electronics-notes.com/artic ... e-tube.php

Cheers,
Jose

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Thanks for posting these.

1964 is the year before I started buying electronics magazines. I used to buy Practical Electronics and a school friend bough Practical Wireless. We would read them cover to cover then swap over and repeat.

Back then we didn't understand half of what we read but seemed to think that if we read it enough times it would sink in, I suppose some of it did.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

These layout drawings for this "flying wiring" are simply works of art for me, I like it.
It reminds me of my first electrotechnical experiences that I have collected during the disassembly of old radios from the garbage more than 50 years ago.
FlyingWiring.jpg