paisley drive volume

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
crw414tele
Information

Post by crw414tele »

I built a paisley drive a little while back and although it's a great pedal it wasn't quite loud enough to keep with my other drives and maintain a consistent volume when switching between them. So when compering circuits with my rockbox boiling point which is similar I noticed the paisley had a 100r input resistor and the BP did not , so I decided to experiment and put a jumper instead of the 100r and at the 100r out the output. While I had the circuit open I also doubled the clipping diodes [ which to my understanding allows more clean sound before clipping making it seem louder] . After plugging the pedal back I was happily surprised that there was a measurable volume increase, enough to put the paisley back on my board. My question to those more knowledgeable is will/can this hurt the circuit or any pedals after it? If this is ok it seems to be a worthwhile mod.
Attachments
PaisleyDrive_0_1_schematic.png
PaisleyDrive_0_1_schematic.png (10.52 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

hbo
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by hbo »

The 100ohm resistor shouldn't affect volume noticeably, but as you've discovered the clipping diodes will. Swapping them out is not a problem; keep them if you like the sound :)

crw414tele
Information

Post by crw414tele »

Cool ,thanks , I've toyed with diodes before but didn't realise it would make this much difference to volume .I'll be keeping it this way now. :applause:

bato001
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by bato001 »

The 100r resistors are there for filtering. You alter the sound of the pedal a little when you remove them and gain almost no volume as written above already. Looking at the circuit diagram there is a current booster before the output that should have compensated for any volume loss. Make sure the jfet is actually functional.
"Ever wondered how some of your favourite guitar players got their tone? Me too. Probably a good amp and lots of practice." Little Lord Electronics Homepage

crw414tele
Information

Post by crw414tele »

bato001 wrote:The 100r resistors are there for filtering. You alter the sound of the pedal a little when you remove them and gain almost no volume as written above already. Looking at the circuit diagram there is a current booster before the output that should have compensated for any volume loss. Make sure the jfet is actually functional.
Thanks , the jfets are ok it just wasn't quite loud enough to match the volume of my other pedals so I have a consistent volume across my board , based on what you said I have put the 100r back in but left the extra diodes in and the volume didn't go down so I am happy .thanks for the help

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Hi!!
sorry for the necro!

Sorry for my noob question, but wouldn't increasing R15 (feedback resistor) do the trick and increase volume??

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Yes it would.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

zedsnotdead
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by zedsnotdead »

Thank you mictester!

I wonder what would be the right R15 so to make this pedal louder, but avoiding signal clipping on that stage...
Is there a way to calculate it? Just an aproximation maybe....?