*MOJO* components and noisy ones too !!

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
nandrewjackson
Information

Post by nandrewjackson »

Hello there. I'm a lurker here, with a couple posts. I've successfully built several all tube heads and combo's, but pedals are hit and miss under my soldering iron.

my specific question here is about components. Cheap vs expensive, types of caps, etc.

For the most part, I have purchased most of my pedal components from Ebay. 1/4 watt resistors by the handfull, hundreds of the green film caps, and hundreds of the polarized electrolytics in small voltage ranges for pedals. Most of my dual op-amps, transistors, LED's and switches are also bought ultra-cheap from the drop ship ebay users in China, Hong Kong, etc. This makes up my pedal component kit.

I am almost always running into noise issues. My DS-1 custom without buffers is like an echo-theramin!! (well, almost)

Is there a rule - of - thumb for selecting components in the pedal world? I try to stay away from ceramic disc anything, opting for the ususally blue caps that have small values (some are yellow).

I have used some film caps that are little cubes of yellow plastic with small leads. These sound "better" ususallly, but I don't even remember where I bought these. (Ithink it was Mouser, years ago,)

I can't replace all of my kit with better quality stuff, too much $$$, but when I do upgrade what is the first step? name brand resistors? get away from "green" film caps? better silicon components (transistors, chips, led's)

I'm mostly building on perf board, some vero, and I know to keep my wiring as short as possible. I'm using stranded 22ga mostly. sometimes some solid core makes it's way in there somehow. I usually socket any transistors or chips, and trim down the leads of transistors so they're not standing up so tall.

Thanks.
Noah P.

FiveseveN
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by FiveseveN »

nandrewjackson wrote:types of caps
See here: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8625
I am almost always running into noise issues.
What kind of noise? Resistors and active components mostly add wideband (white) noise (commonly percieved as "hiss"). Other undesirable sounds come from poorly filtered power, interference and oscillation (not the components' fault).
My DS-1 custom without buffers is like an echo-theramin!!
That's not white noise, sounds like a layout problem.

I'd say the only downside of green caps and cheaper components in general is looser tolerance. But most stompboxes don't require precise tuning and matching. And you only need to worry about consistency when building many units. Or screw it and call "every pedal unique", "tuned to the customer's needs" or some other bullshit :mrgreen:.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. (Charles Darwin)

nandrewjackson
Information

Post by nandrewjackson »

white noise, sorry for not specifying that. basically "hiss" and "white noise" problems. I use a 1spot 9V for my pedalboards. and Theres a digitech Trio on one board that has it's own power supply. Maybe it's a combination of things.

I have an MXR zakkwylde OD (99% tubescreamer) and it's a noisy fella too. but that's the only store bought one I have noise issues with.

I made a "supreaux" running at 9V instead of 18V, it's a noise machine. (hiss, white noise)
I made a "DS-1", it's a noise machine. (hiss, white noise)

BUT

I made a fuzz-face, and like ZERO noise, even when cranked.
keeley 4 knob (ross) comp, no noise
mxr dist + no noise.

I'll try some different layout options I guess. I was just fishing for the "golden ticket" of how to get out the noise without rebuilding.
I always lean toward the components I've bought, because when I order a mess of them for $4 and free shipping from CHINA, I wonder how you could even send an empty envelope from china for $4, let alone an envelope full of components, really.
thanks.