Maestro FZ-1A Weak Output  [SOLVED]

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

Have this on my bench. Arrived with no input cable, no switch and severely damaged battery holder. The board and its connects to the pots and output jack were intact. I put in a Carling SPDT switch and an input cable. Bypass signal is fine, but the effect output is extremely weak (battery is fine) and there seems almost no fuzz effect present. I measured the voltages at the transistors and those are listed. Also include a picture or two of the guts. Any help would be appreciated. I have read that the 470k resistor can be problematic. Here are the readings:

Q1: C=1.48v, B=1.45, E=.1 (that seems low)
Q2: C=.16, B=.06, E=0 (goes to ground)
Q3: C=.27, B=.18, E=0 (goes to ground)

Thanks!
Maestro 1.JPG
Maestro 3.JPG
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO

kymar
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by kymar »

Turn the battery observing the correct polarity

pmkipp
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by pmkipp »

Dang - guess the last owner had wired the battery wrong as the little chart next to the battery points that way.

So, reversed and it works. BUT, the sound decays very quickly and in kind of a pulsing kind of way. Supposed to sound like that?
Pete's Pedals
St Louis, MO