Colorsound Tremolo Troubleshooting (No Effect)

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
daveed235
Information

Post by daveed235 »

Hey all,

I tried to build the Colorsound Tremolo today, but I could not get an effect out of it, it only sounds like the dry signal, but more noisy. Also, the LED does not flash or turn on at all. I haven't built a tremolo (or used perfboard) before, so I'm not sure where to begin debugging. Anything helps!

Attached is the layout I used, which is from this link (which says the schem is verified).
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017 ... emolo.html

Thank you so much,

Dave
Attachments
ColorSound Tremolo.png

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

I've built a paper plane. It doesn't fly. What should I do?

Got it?

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hello

I built the Colorsound tremolo today, using the tagboard layout : it works fine, but I found that the max and minimum speeds could be... faster and slower.
I changed one 3.3 cap to make the max speed faster, and increased the RATE pot from 250K to 1M to reach slower minimum speed.
I also added a speed indicator led (blue led with a 20K resistor).
Now i am experiencing a strange behaviour : With the 1M speed pot, everything is fine passed the second half, but since i turn the knob below 12 o clock, the tremolo sound starts vanishing. :hmmm:

I guess it is some kind of warning telling me this unit hasn't been designed for a 1M pot, but i am wondering two things :
1- What is the technical reason of the "tremolo vanishing" ?
2- What can i do to get slower minimum speed than with a 250K or 500K knob ? Can i have the nice slow speed i get with the 1M pot, without having the tremolo "vanishing" ?

(note : i have a "speed indicator led" : when the tremolo vanishes, i can see the led getting weak and then stopping to work too.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

1- What is the technical reason of the "tremolo vanishing" ?
The oscillator is a gain stage with frequency-dependent feedback using a phase shifting filter network.
The stage oscillates if the filter delivers a sufficient phase shift value.
For a potentiometer resistance greater 500kOhms the phase shift is not longer sufficient, the oscillating stopps.
2- What can i do to get slower minimum speed than with a 250K or 500K knob ? Can i have the nice slow speed i get with the 1M pot, without having the tremolo "vanishing" ?
Replace the three 0.47uF Capacitors by higher values.
ColorsoundTremoloSchematic.bmp
ColorsoundTremoloSchematic.bmp (35.56 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hello, Manfred.
Put like that, it's perfectly clear.
Once again, thank you so much for your explanation and your kindness ! :thumbsup

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

PS : Can the capacitors be of any kind (Mylar, Box, ceramic, tantalum, etc) ?
For such values, my green Mylar and box type are quite big (and ceramic are also cheaper)...

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

snk wrote:PS : Can the capacitors be of any kind (Mylar, Box, ceramic, tantalum, etc) ?
For such values, my green Mylar and box type are quite big (and ceramic are also cheaper)...
Take foil capacitors with narrow tolerance.
As far as I can see, the raster size of the caps is 7.5 Millimeters, there are small capacitors up to to 1 Microfarad availabe.
The lowest osciallation frequency is about 1.8 Hz at a capacitance of 0.47 Microfarad capcitors and about 0.8 Hz at 1 Microfarad.

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

bool
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by bool »

I think you would also have to increase the 0.22uf coupling cap to Q4 a little. Perhaps use a 0.47 here.

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Ok, thank you for the tip.
What would it do ? Would it lower the minimum speed also, or is it somehting needed when you change the other capacitors value ?

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hi,
I only have 2 box type film capacitors in stock :(
But i have several ceramic and tantalum 1µF caps... Would it do the trick ?
Should i wait, and order foil caps, or may i try with the ceramics (or the tantalum) ?

[edit] Ok,i found out it :
ceramic caps tend to be less precise, and have capacitances that vary with voltage. In short: it'll probably work, but there might be weird side effects. Better to stick with film caps.

I have one question also : Out of curiosity, what would it do if i don't take the same values for all of them ? What would be the incidence on the sound ?

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

I have one question also : Out of curiosity, what would it do if i don't take the same values for all of them ? What would be the incidence on the sound ?
A Tantal capacitor got a leakage current of few Microamps which could flows into the base of Q2 and causes a shift of the bias point.
You can take ceramic capacitors too, but a selection of the capacitance value by measuring is needed.
You can also take capacitors with 820nF, in that case the minimum oscillation frequence is about 1 Hz.
I think you would also have to increase the 0.22uf coupling cap to Q4 a little. Perhaps use a 0.47 here.

Hi Bool, thanks for the hint, you are right.

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Thank you both.
What would be the incidence on the sound if i don't take the same values for all of these 3 caps (I am wondering what they are doing in the circuit, in order to understand it better) ?

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hello,
I replaced the 220nF cap with a 470nF, and the 3x470nF with 1µF (with my 2 Wima and one socketed ceramic i had left... I may replace it later with a new Wima), and changed the Speed pot for a 250K as advised, and now i can get a nice and slow tremolo :mrgreen:
I also want to add that with these changes, there is no "vanishing modulation" anymore, the tremolo is the same at both slow and high speeds.
So, i now have a nice vintage tremolo with a decent range of modulation (the slow speed is not "ultra slow", and the fast one is not "thunder speed", but i like to have a useful, musical range of RATE).
Thank you all for your great help, and all the technical informations ! :hug:

(Still, having my pedal working the way intended did not kill my curiosity : i would be curious to know what to expect sound-wise if do not use the same cap values for the 3 x 470nF caps ?)