Woolly mammoth clone level in bypass

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Flavorcountry
Information

Post by Flavorcountry »

Im very new to building pedals but have completed 4 or 5 now but this has got me stumped double check and re soldered what i thought was wrong but didnt work.
Anyway so i built a woolly mammoth clone and its everything its meant to be. But in bypass the pedals level knob changes my guitars signal? And when i turn it up and switch the pedal on the level is crazy high. Any ideas on how to fix that would be great cheers
Also first post so sorry if its in the wrong section or im just an idiot

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Flavorcountry wrote:But in bypass the pedals level knob changes my guitars signal? And when i turn it up and switch the pedal on the level is crazy high. Any ideas on how to fix that would be great cheers
Also first post so sorry if its in the wrong section or im just an idiot
Bypassed fx should not alter your tone, unless it is supposed to. WM should not do that. If you want to receive some help, then at least show us your wiring, add a diagram of your bypass.

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

Is it a true-bypass system?, if so, then it should in theory have no perceptible effect in the tone, I'm thinking that the footswitch could have gone faulty due to excessive heat from soldering wires to the solder lugs, it could also be a bad grounding system, an output cap that's gone leaky (unlikely, but not impossible), have you also tried looking at all your solder-joints under a magnifying glass?, tried checking the voltages in the circuit and compared them to the voltages in the schematic?, another thing you could try is first build an audio-probe and use it to trace out the signal-path in your pedal build, work from the output back through the circuit to the input.

Hope that helps.
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.