Klone switch pops

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
jlo
Information

Post by jlo »

I have an accurate Klone that I bought that sounds awesome but the switch pops. The circuit board is gooped just like the original. Is there a way to remedy this off the circuit board? Is this normal?

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Klone = Clone of Klon Centaur
or
Klone = original Klon Centaur?

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

jlo wrote: 17 May 2020, 13:06 I have an accurate Klone that I bought that sounds awesome but the switch pops. The circuit board is gooped just like the original. Is there a way to remedy this off the circuit board? Is this normal?
Hey, if it's "accurate," the switch won't pop! The original has resistors across the bypass switch for exactly this reason! If it's popping, it is likely because these weren't included!

Why the fuck would anyone goop the board? Unless they're hiding that it's not a truly accurate recreation?! If you bought it thinking it's an exact clone of the original, you should return it and ask for your money back! Original Klon never pops!
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

If you look at the schematic, you can see the anti-pop resistors. They can be easily be added to the footswitch.
But honestly, I think that if you paid more than $100 for this thing, and the seller was promising it was an accurate clone, you should return it because you were ripped off by a scammer.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

jlo
Information

Post by jlo »

plush wrote: 17 May 2020, 13:50 Klone = Clone of Klon Centaur
or
Klone = original Klon Centaur?
Klon clone

jlo
Information

Post by jlo »

Ben N wrote: 17 May 2020, 18:34 Have you seen http://www.muzique.com/lab/led.htm?
Thx! Ive heard of the LED causing popping but have not read how to eliminate it. It says it happens with high gain circuits though

jlo
Information

Post by jlo »

soulsonic wrote: 17 May 2020, 19:03
jlo wrote: 17 May 2020, 13:06 I have an accurate Klone that I bought that sounds awesome but the switch pops. The circuit board is gooped just like the original. Is there a way to remedy this off the circuit board? Is this normal?
Hey, if it's "accurate," the switch won't pop! The original has resistors across the bypass switch for exactly this reason! If it's popping, it is likely because these weren't included!

Why the fuck would anyone goop the board? Unless they're hiding that it's not a truly accurate recreation?! If you bought it thinking it's an exact clone of the original, you should return it and ask for your money back! Original Klon never pops!
Its not a Centura kit but here are the build instructions talking about two versions of the circuit with or without three additional resistors http://www.ceriatone.com/ceriatone/wp-c ... 17-Doc.pdf

jlo
Information

Post by jlo »

soulsonic wrote: 17 May 2020, 19:03

I found a Klone with the resistors wired on the switch

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aiyxb45ccgsnc ... n.pdf?dl=1

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by soulsonic »

If you add the resistors, the popping should be solved.
I'm still angry that someone would have the stupidity to goop a klone. Completely ruins the ability to repair it, and if the person used one of the boards that copies the original, you'd be able to easily put the resistors in the missing places.

jlo
Information

Post by jlo »

I was able to add the resistors to the switch. I assumed they were not on the board. I had to take the board off to make sure what wire was what. All good now switch no longer pops! Thx