Tweed man overdrive / Catalinbread Formula 5F6 feedback with gain full and mods

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
salin3
Information

Post by salin3 »

Hi,

I have some questions about the tweed man overdrive ( from pedalpcb.com) which is a clone of the Catalinbread formula 5F6.
I have just made it and it sounds good but I wonder if it 's working the way it should.
Here are the transistors voltage:

( I put pn4393 )
Q1: D:4,7 S: 0,9 G: 0
Q2: D: 9,08 S: 5,64 G: 3
Q3: D:4,90 S: 0,83 G: 0
Q4: D: 9,08 S: 5,5 G: 3
Q5: D: 9 S: 5,2 G: 2,15

1) I noticed that when I put the gain at Max value, I have feedback like hendrix in front of his amp ! (only in the " secret lead mode" which means when the switch is up ) .
I won't need that much gain so it's ok but I wonder if it's a "normal" behaviour".

2) It seems there is not a lot of treble ( in the" stock bass mode" whereas the" secret lead" has enough of it). Is it something known with this pedal ? If no Is there a way to have more highs in the" stock bass mode" ( which means when the switch is down)?

3 ) Is it possible to have less gain only in the "secret lead mode" ? ( I have already removed the 4u7 and it sounds better to my ear in the stock mode , I don't need less gain in this mode) .

Thanks.
Attachments
TweedMan.pdf
(459.51 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
_copie-0_Tweed man underside.jpg
_copie-0_Tweed man overdive schematics.jpg
_copie-0_Tweed man mine.jpg