Benson Preamp help!!  [SOLVED]

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
tome.talevski
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tome.talevski »

The G wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 11:09 Hmm, I reread what I wrote and it was blatantly wrong. I apologize. To make the drain voltage smaller we need to increase the trimpot resistance, not to decrease it :slap: :slap: :slap: .

I'd undo the shorting and replace the trimpot at the first JFET with a 1M potentiometer. If that works for the first JFET, you can try it at the second too.

I'm off to make a cofee...
SOLVED! after stumbling across another post on reddit I realised I needed to switch the gate and source pins on the j201's..! It was on the layout the whole time... thank you so much for taking the time to troubleshoot!

Cigano23
Information

Post by Cigano23 »

Nice, congratulations. I've also spent days trying to troubleshoot a pedal just to find it was something (almost) obvious.

andy-h-h
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by andy-h-h »

tome.talevski wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 11:27
The G wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 11:09 Hmm, I reread what I wrote and it was blatantly wrong. I apologize. To make the drain voltage smaller we need to increase the trimpot resistance, not to decrease it :slap: :slap: :slap: .

I'd undo the shorting and replace the trimpot at the first JFET with a 1M potentiometer. If that works for the first JFET, you can try it at the second too.

SOLVED! after stumbling across another post on reddit I realised I needed to switch the gate and source pins on the j201's..! It was on the layout the whole time... thank you so much for taking the time to troubleshoot!
Sorry that was probably my layout - I did have the pinout marked.

tome.talevski
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tome.talevski »

andy-h-h wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 23:37
tome.talevski wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 11:27

Sorry that was probably my layout - I did have the pinout marked.
No probs.. the info was there on the layout however as I’m only getting into it circuit making I overlooked it.. a lesson learnt!