Boss PS-5 No output when turned on

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
GroundFox
Information

Post by GroundFox »

I just received a broken Super Shifter from a friend. When it is turned off my guitar signal passes through just fine except on Tremolo arm mode and Flutter. When the pedal is turned on I get no output on any of the modes and the red power light is on for all modes except for T. Arm and Flutter. So I think the problem lies there. The only problem is that I am having a hard time finding a diagram of this pedal. Sadly the only post I found on here has dead links. Also this is my first pedal I am troubleshooting. I have wired up a guitar before but thats the furthest I have gotten. Any advice would be a life saver. I am already looking at some of the beginner guides on here and they have great advice. Thanks in advance for the help!

CheapPedalCollector
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by CheapPedalCollector »

Likely a dead op amp, start checking the voltage at the +/- inputs, should be around 4.5V , if they are around 9V then you found your dead op amp.

The G
Grease Monkey
Information

Post by The G »

I'm afraid that if the circuit is feeding the LED directly from the CPU like in PS-3 and other Boss digital effects, not much can be done, except hope it's something wrong with the rotary switch.
Scrap that, it wouldn' affect the LED.