Aion Supreaux help  [SOLVED]

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
yroc06
Information

Post by yroc06 »

Hi there, I’m new to posting on forums. I usually poke around for the info I need and bug out, but i’m running into something I really don’t understand. Backstory, I assembled an Aion Supreaux a few weeks ago and it’s sounds good, but it’s not working properly. The charge pump part of the circuit is not creating the voltage I would expect to see when I bias the transistors. Not the end of the world as it sound pretty good in it’s current state, but I would like it work properly. Because I tend to build things in waves i.e. I’ll buy the same board from different companies just to see what the differences are or maybe to mod one and keep one stock I bought the Super 68 from PedalPCB and assembled it. The readings I get from the Super 68 are more in line with what I expected to get out of the Supreeaux and I can bias the transistors to the 12v that is recommended. AND because I cannot seem to help myself, I also picked up the Aion Supreaux Deux as well. Finished the Supreaux Deux and i’m getting the same bananas electrical readings from the original Supreaux I assembled. So, i’m somehow making the same mistake twice and I cannot figure out what it is that I’m doing wrong. Also want to preface this with i’m fairly new to debugging. I’ve had a really great streak of pedals firing up the first time, but the good time days are over and I need to figure out what i’m doing incorrectly. I have a few non-working circuits in the pile now and I’m starting the trouble shooting journey. I have an audio probe that I use before boxing to confirm signal and everyone and again there is something small that’s easy for even me to suss out, but this one has me stumped. I’ve gone through and checked my values and everything appears to be correct. I’ve tried to put together a document with the important voltages for the issue, so i’m hoping that is helpful. Bonus question while we’re here. I’m starting to use SMD J201s and was wondering if there is a way to test them after soldering to make sure I didn’t cook them before populating the rest of the board? I’ve found them rather fun to solder and gives me an excuse to get out my magnifying headset! My wife doesn’t think it looks as cool as I do, however. Anyways, any insight would be appreciated! Also let me know if there is anything else I can provide to help. The ICs are all max1044 and if I switch them out between each other I get the same readings. I thought maybe I fried a couple of them, but they seem to be fine when put in the functioning circuit.

(I'm also just figuring out how to post pictures, so please let me know if I screwed that up)

The red values are my voltages where I measured them. If you click on the photo you'll get a larger version of it.
Last edited by yroc06 on 31 Mar 2021, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

bmxguitarsbmx
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by bmxguitarsbmx »

Is your c13 in backwards?

yroc06
Information

Post by yroc06 »

Not according to the build doc and PCB. The negative stripes of both c13 and c14 go to the right.

Imagefree image hosting website

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

There is a missing wire on the right side. The “P.GND” pad is a separate power ground for the charge pump section that has its own path to the bypass PCB in order to keep it separate from audio ground.

yroc06
Information

Post by yroc06 »

OH! I wasn't sure if that was redundant or not. shiz.... I'll try that and see if things are working. I've completed most of your legacy boards and apparently have not made the mental switch over to the new 125B layout. Hoping that's it even if it does make me feel a tad silly missing that detail. Thank you!

yroc06
Information

Post by yroc06 »

This was indeed the issue! Thank you for taking the time to check out the post. Guess I can box up the Aions for myself and send the PedalPCB to my brother :wink: Best part of WFH is having my solder station 20 feet away. Thank you again very much!
aionios wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 11:44 There is a missing wire on the right side. The “P.GND” pad is a separate power ground for the charge pump section that has its own path to the bypass PCB in order to keep it separate from audio ground.

aion
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by aion »

You're very welcome!