OCD vero build, no sound

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
kingsfan7205
Information

Post by kingsfan7205 »

I need some help troubleshooting an OCD build using the V3 layout from here (i did substitute a 500k gain pot from v2 instead of the 1m but that shouldnt matter) http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... sions.html

When i plug it into my pedal tester I get basically no sound. If I crank the amp up and adjust the volume pot i can get a tiny bit of clean sound but that's it, and if I turn the volume pot up it turns off, the quiet volume is only there when the pot is at 12 o clock. It only works near the middle setting and doesnt boost volume at all, it just shuts on or off depending on location.

I've done Vero before but this is my first build where there are wires going to multiple points which i think might be causing some of the issue. Where it says things like a wire going to gain 2 and 3 i spliced together two wires and soldered to the gain 2 and 3 lugs, which I believe is what you're supposed to do.

tone pot works, switch for high/low pass works, the gain pot seems to not do anything. there is a very loud pop when turning the effect on but im not as concerned about that because its not in a box yet, im just connecting the wires to alligator clips for in/out/ground/9v on a pedal tester that i know works with other circuits.

Here is an album of my build, I'm kind of at a loss on what to troubleshoot so if anyone has ideas let me know, thanks. I've already reflowed all the solder and none of the joints looked cold.

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Is there a solder connection between the tracks at the point marked in red?
SolderBridgeOCD.jpg
SolderBridgeOCD.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 667 times

kingsfan7205
Information

Post by kingsfan7205 »

Just double checked and there is not. It looks questionable in the photo but I reflowed the solder since and it's definitely not there now. Just so I'm ultra clear since I'm new to vero, it's okay for some solder on the brown as long as it doesnt form a connection between two areas of gold, right? Either way i double checked and there is nothing leaking over

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

Which values have the DC-voltages at the pins 1,3,5 and 7 of the OP-Amp?

kingsfan7205
Information

Post by kingsfan7205 »

Manfred wrote: 11 May 2021, 18:48 Which values have the DC-voltages at the pins 1,3,5 and 7 of the OP-Amp?
so update on this, turns out my cuts werent big enough and that caused the issue. so now the circuit works perfectly as intended except the volume pot is acting really weird. it turns up the volume up until 75% and then turns down the volume. doesn't cut in and out anymore (that was due to a bad pot it turns out) but I don't really understand why once it hits a certain point the pot basically starts working in reverse

EDIT: nevermind probably me being dumb again because everything works perfectly. thanks for your help!

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

it turns up the volume up until 75% and then turns down the volume
My guess is that the potentiometer is connected wrong.

kingsfan7205
Information

Post by kingsfan7205 »

Manfred wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:09
it turns up the volume up until 75% and then turns down the volume
My guess is that the potentiometer is connected wrong.
i'm not actually sure what fixed it, but the pot was connected right. probably a burr from where i made the cuts making a bad connection somewhere