JHS Soul Food Mod Help?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
aarronhofeling
Information

Post by aarronhofeling »

I've got a toggle switch that seems to only work in middle position. in the sideways positions there is no clipping happening and furthermore the drive knob acts like a very drastic guitar tone knob but it works backwards (gets really bassy when the drive is turned up and trebely when dialed back) but that only happens in the positions that aren't working. everything works as its supposed to in middle position. wondering if this was a botched job heres a couple pictures of the guts. Anyone familliar with this circuit and mod? Anything stand out? I'm kind of wondering if thee diodes are wired right it looks a bit sloppy.

i know its a stretch but any help would be sick!

also if you need better pictures just let me know. I'm at work right now so all i got are my webcam pictures.
Attachments
WIN_20210618_11_18_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210618_11_18_43_Pro.jpg

EddieTavares
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: marshall

Post by EddieTavares »

What about reverse this mods?

Electric Druid
Information

Post by Electric Druid »

It looks like the switch is probably wired up wrong. Here's a guide to the mod:

https://www.coda-effects.com/2015/03/el ... s-mod.html

Note that the author's conclusion is that it really isn't worthwhile, so you might be best just removing the modded parts and putting some diodes back on the PCB.

It's hard to see from your photo, but it looks like the mod has been done with a SPDT switch instead of a DPDT like in the link. That's not a problem (the DPDT is overkill, actually) but you'd need to check the switch and diode wiring.