MAX 1044 charge pump noise

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Alejonqn
Information
Completed builds: Klon Centaur,

Post by Alejonqn »

Good day felows, I think this topic has been discused in numerous threads but I have some specific question, may someone would like to help me with.
I´ve built a Klon clone based on Effects Layout blog, I got it right from the first time, but with the rather common problem of the charge pump making high pitched tone (oscliator frecuency) even though I used IC 7660S.
I have IC lug 1 connected to V+ (oscilator boost).

I read somewhere that sending oscilator (LUG 7) to ground will solve the problem, whell it did, butit ruined IC [smilie=a_doh.gif] , Ive realized this because on higer gains settings it started making a rapid pop noise like a helicopter blade (I think was the second Opamp clipping)
Anyway I´ve got a new one, this time I tried MAX1044, but noise was there again.
This time I´ve spent some time reading specsheets, and tried installing a capacitor from lug 7 to ground and it worked getting rid of the noise, but here came the questions:
- With the capacitor in this place I´m altering oscilator frecuency, slowing it down.
-by connecting lug 1 to V+ I´m boosting oscilator, as datasheets says:
connecting the BOOST pin to the V+ pin raises the oscillator frequency by a factor of about 6.
and then says
Increasing the frequency reduces audio interference, output resistance, voltage ripple, and required capacitor sizes. Decreasing frequency reduces quiescent current and improves efficiency.
So I´m doing both at the same time or by connecting the capt to ground I´m decoupling?
I´ve tried different caps sizes, 100uF did not stopped the noise, just changed pitch, but with 10uF and smaller ones the noise disappeared
Now what I´m hearing is like a static discharge a fast tic at equals period of time, I supose this is the capt discharging, I tried different sizes and the smaller the value the faster the repitition os the tics noise.
In my poor knowledge I installed an small size capt so as to alter the oscilator frecuency the least posible. Am i right on this?, First I tried 0.22 uF cap, but the tic was too often to be noticeable, so i tried 0.47 and 1 uF, the last worked the best obviulsy but I decided to sitck to 0.47 so as to don´t change frecuency much.
Is there any better solution to this?
I´ve read about decoupling caps and resistors but I´m not sure where to install them to try it out.
I thought of disconecting pin 1 from V+, but the Klon uses 1uF caps in the charge pump, while the specssheet recommend 10uF when pin 1 isopen, and does not specify a value when using the IC combined positive and negative converter:
1044.png
1044.png (11.76 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
By the way I´ve changed the zener to a 9.1V in order to protect th MAX1044, as it won´t be happy with more than 10 V
Thanks!! and sorry for my poor english.

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

Hi

Connect pin 1 to v+
Leave pins 6 and 7 floating. And make sure there's no ground polygons close to pin 7.

Alejonqn
Information
Completed builds: Klon Centaur,

Post by Alejonqn »

Hello Plush, Well pin 6 and 7 where disconnected before installing the cap.
By a ground polygon you mean ground lines around the IC?
I´m adding a picture of how its layout. I´ve build it with a perfboard.
Klon.png
Thanks