No clipping after Clark Gainster presence removal?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
stekks
Information

Post by stekks »

Hi guys,

I'm kinda baffled with the simple mod a did to a Clark Gainster type of circuit. I wanted to remove the 'presence control' and add a TS-type tone control. After I clipped the resistor at the red cross, the circuit didn't clip anymore. I got just a clean sound with only the volume control had effect of the output. I expected a simular tone like the original circuit with the presense control maxed.

What can be happening here?

Inspiration for the tonecircuit is welcome too. I thought of a .22u/220 Ohm to ground, connected to the wiper of a 10k pot (drawn in blue).
ClarkGainsterSchematicMod.png

plush
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by plush »

stekks wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 09:42 Hi guys,

I'm kinda baffled with the simple mod a did to a Clark Gainster type of circuit. I wanted to remove the 'presence control' and add a TS-type tone control. After I clipped the resistor at the red cross, the circuit didn't clip anymore. I got just a clean sound with only the volume control had effect of the output. I expected a simular tone like the original circuit with the presense control maxed.

What can be happening here?

Inspiration for the tonecircuit is welcome too. I thought of a .22u/220 Ohm to ground, connected to the wiper of a 10k pot (drawn in blue).

ClarkGainsterSchematicMod.png
You've removed reference to ground, which was used to set up opamp's gain.
You want to fix presence control - replace presence potentiometer with a resistor or bypass it.

Manicstrat2112
Information
my favorite amplifier: Egnater Rebel 30 MK I
Completed builds: Partial list: Creepy Fingers EQ Exciter Fuzz, Tonebender MK II, Silicon Tonebender MK II, Fuzzrocious Ram the Manparts, Thunderdrive, Fuzz Face. Silicon Fuzz Face, EHX Muff Fuzz, Brian May Treble Booster, DAM Grease Box, DAM Meathead, Lovepedal Woodrow, Lovepedal Eternity, Silicon Fuzz Master, Fuzz Factory, Mastotron, Super Hard On, 73 Rams Head BM, Katzenkonig, Phase 45, Black Dust, RAH, Tentacle, MXR Distortion +, DOD 250 Preamp, Distortron, Naga Viper, JHS Andy Timmons, Pro co Rat, Celine Mark 4, EQD Dunes, EHX OD Glove,, Lemon Drop, 59 Sound, Formula No 5, Formula No. 55, Black Ash, Plexi Drive, 65 Deluxe, Hummingbird, Fuzzolo, Univibe, EQD The Depths, Guzzling, Maestro FZ-1 and FZ-1A, Tonebender MKI, Harmonic Percolator, Zonk Machine, Hybrid Si/Ge Zonk Machine, MBP Harbinger 1.5, MBP Pork Barrel (to original CE-2 specs) and it all started with the Bazz Fuss =)

Post by Manicstrat2112 »

Yup, you cut ground out of the op-amps gain loop. I would just re solder the resistor back in and leave the presence control along with your new tone control (assuming the tone control works the way you want). Either way, just re-introduce ground to the loop and you'll be back in business!
".....and when I'm sad......I slide!"