1985 ProCo Rat wiring

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Hello all!

Picked up an '85 ProCo rat today locally. Seller sent me a vid of the pedal working, and pics of the circuit/chip so I jumped on it for the price.

First thing I did when I got home was open in it up. The pedal had a battery in it and I noticed it felt slightly warm to the touch (oh boy). I found that someone had "repaired" the battery snap cable with electrical tape, cool...

I'm also seeing some very ratty (no pun intended) soldering/wiring work

Can someone tell me what's going on here? :hmmm:

(P.S. not sure why photos are uploading sideways my apologies)
IMG_3726.JPG
IMG_3727.JPG
IMG_3728.JPG
IMG_3729.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Disclaimer: I don't know much about Rats, this is my first encounter.

This seems to be a "whiteface" and what I'm seeing is a poorly wired replacement jack.

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

Disclaimer: I also don't know much about Rats.

I agree with you Dj.
I think you need a new battery snap, a new good quality jack (that one seems to be bad - but I could be wrong), and someone, you, who can make a decent soldering job.

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Intripped wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 23:00 Disclaimer: I also don't know much about Rats.

I agree with you Dj.
I think you need a new battery snap, a new good quality jack (that one seems to be bad - but I could be wrong), and someone, you, who can make a decent soldering job.
Agreed!

Not the best at wiring from a schematic yet, so still trying to find a decent layout to follow.

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

IMO the wiring on your pedal is ok (input jack and battery snap apart - but the wires go to the right places anyway)
So you could just get the new parts and proceed with substitution.

You could also check everything by looking at some good pics - there are many online, for example here:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/proco/rat#pictures

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Intripped wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 01:41 IMO the wiring on your pedal is ok (input jack and battery snap apart - but the wires go to the right places anyway)
So you could just get the new parts and proceed with substitution.

You could also check everything by looking at some good pics - there are many online, for example here:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/proco/rat#pictures
Thanks for confirming that.

Looking at some other pictures I'm noticing the wire from Power and Green are together.

Compared to the wiring on mine Black/Green. Should I rearrange or is this essentially doing the same thing?

Stock
2.jpg
Mine
1.jpg

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

The green wire is GROUND, and should be connected to power ground (with the bare solid wire that goes to the power switch); it starts from the input jack ground and goes to the FOOTSWITCH (and the PCB).

The black wire (on the input jack} is the negative of the battery snap, and should be connected to the RING of the stereo input jack.

On your pedal the stereo input jack looks damaged (or weird at least), so that RING and TIP are close together - they should be separate.
Enclosed stereo jacks like the original are available, so my suggestion is to buy one and throw away what you have.

EDIT: yes, there's an error in your pedal wiring - the green wire and the black wire shouldn't be on the same pin of the input jack. The green wire should be together with the bare wire coming from the power jack. But don't use that jack anyway.

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Intripped wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 18:13 The green wire is GROUND, and should be connected to power ground (with the bare solid wire that goes to the power switch); it starts from the input jack ground and goes to the FOOTSWITCH (and the PCB).

The black wire (on the input jack} is the negative of the battery snap, and should be connected to the RING of the stereo input jack.

On your pedal the stereo input jack looks damaged (or weird at least), so that RING and TIP are close together - they should be separate.
Enclosed stereo jacks like the original are available, so my suggestion is to buy one and throw away what you have.

EDIT: yes, there's an error in your pedal wiring - the green wire and the black wire shouldn't be on the same pin of the input jack. The green wire should be together with the bare wire coming from the power jack. But don't use that jack anyway.
Had to replace both jacks and the 9v snap

Thank you again!
IMG_3740.JPG

Intripped
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Intripped »

You did a very nice work!
Just be sure that the jacks' tips are not touching the bottom of potentiometers when the plug is inserted.
Expecially the tip of the input jack looks very close, maybe you had better turn the jack a little, so that the tip-plate (or how it is called) is close to the side of the box.
Anyway, very nice solderings over there, bravo!

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Intripped wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 01:21 You did a very nice work!
Just be sure that the jacks' tips are not touching the bottom of potentiometers when the plug is inserted.
Expecially the tip of the input jack looks very close, maybe you had better turn the jack a little, so that the tip-plate (or how it is called) is close to the side of the box.
Anyway, very nice solderings over there, bravo!
Nope, nothing is touching. Just the photograph,

Thank you!

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Last question, any idea the model# for the input/output enclosed jacks?

While these are fine, they are very close to pots like you said.

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

DjPsychic wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 12:13 Last question, any idea the model# for the input/output enclosed jacks?

Answered my own question:

Switchcraft 111X
Switchcraft 112AX

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

DjPsychic wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 14:53
DjPsychic wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 12:13 Last question, any idea the model# for the input/output enclosed jacks?

Answered my own question:

Switchcraft 111X
Switchcraft 112AX
Correction, the 112AX should be 112BX

DjPsychic
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by DjPsychic »

Went back and replaced all the jacks with the correct ones

@Intripped planted the seed
IMG_3812 (1).JPG

Intripped