need help reparing ammoon looper sudden death  [SOLVED]

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
airfrankenstein
Information

Post by airfrankenstein »

Hello
I lent out an ammoon stereo looper (vague clone of the ehx 720) and it came back dead. I plug it in with the power supply in my studio and nothing happens, no leds light, no sign of life. I measure 9v at the power jack, and get similar voltages around the diodes and components in the attached photo. The schottky D2 seems ok : I get 9.12v on one side and 8.76v on the other, a 220R resistance one way and infinite/open the other.
diode D4 next to it reads 10 ohms resistance both ways. Is something wrong here?
Connectivity is intact across FU1, it seems to be a resettable fuse.
I did not lend it out with the power supply. The person who borrowed it is a musician familiar with pedals and told me it didn't work when he plugged it in with his 9v supply.
Any ideas where I could look or should I just presume it's dead and move on?
IMG_7326.jpg

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

I would just replace D4 and see if it comes to life.
Phil

airfrankenstein
Information

phatt wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 01:02 I would just replace D4 and see if it comes to life.
Phil
That's what I've been thinking but I can't figure out what diode that is? Will any zener do?

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

No, it's a fair bet it's just a silicon diode used for reversed polarity protection.
D4 most likely blew because some one used a reversed plug supply. opps

airfrankenstein
Information

phatt wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 02:48 No, it's a fair bet it's just a silicon diode used for reversed polarity protection.
D4 most likely blew because some one used a reversed plug supply. opps
ok I have some 1N914 or 1N4148.
Yes I suspect a reverse polarity issue.

Thell
Information

Post by Thell »

Hi airfrankenstein, thanks for this post. I had exactly the same problem one day my looper simply wouldn't power on so I opened it up but couldn't see anything obviously wrong (i did notice that Ammoon use red for ground and black for 9V !) so i googled the schematic and came across your post, checked the resistance of D4, 4.5v in either direction, de-soldered it, got creative with the legs on a 1N914 which I managed to solder in place, plugged in a power supply and hey presto the thing lit up like a Christmas tree; power restored.
Thanks mate if I hadn't come across your post i'd have stripped it for parts.