Baldwin-Burns - Buzzaround  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

HEAD wrote:Hi,

thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I realy like those "mean" locking washer. Once you have started to use them you'll never wanna miss them again. No more losening jacks. I use them also under every pot - same reason here. This is the cool side of DIY, you can build your stuff rock solid, no more lousy built but expensive boutiquers pedals. After around 50 pedals you find your style that suits you and your needs.:)

Regards
Helge
Really nice job!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

mictester wrote:
HEAD wrote:Hi,

thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I realy like those "mean" locking washer. Once you have started to use them you'll never wanna miss them again. No more losening jacks. I use them also under every pot - same reason here. This is the cool side of DIY, you can build your stuff rock solid, no more lousy built but expensive boutiquers pedals. After around 50 pedals you find your style that suits you and your needs.:)

Regards
Helge
Really nice job!

Thank you man! Do not want to be any kind of arrogant, but I think I built some good looking and built pedals. Sadly here is not realy a space to present them. I don't want to spam every thread here with pictures of my clones, because it's not realy the main target of this forum and I aprreciate that. But sometimes I just have to, because I'm too proud.:D

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

HEAD and Phibes

Great looking projects!!!

HEAD

What's the other box?

HEAD
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by HEAD »

Alex Frias wrote:HEAD and Phibes

Great looking projects!!!

HEAD

What's the other box?
MI AUDIO Crunch Box V2.;)

jonny toetags
Information

Post by jonny toetags »

Just wondering if you guys could help.
I just finished building my 3rd Buzzaround and this one has an extremely gated sound.
I was wondering what the culprit could be.
I've ruled out resistors (I've changed those a few times)
I'm using pretty low gain trannies as well (57 - 60 - 120)

Alex Frias
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Alex Frias »

Did you test them for leakage?

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

What kind of Transistors did you use and did you compare voltages to your other two working Buzzarounds?
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

jonny toetags
Information

Post by jonny toetags »

phibes wrote:What kind of Transistors did you use and did you compare voltages to your other two working Buzzarounds?
I have a stockpile of 2N404's, 2SB75's and 2SB187's I'm trying to use.
The other Buzzarounds are using small bear's set.

phibes
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: HIWATT motherfucker!

Post by phibes »

I'm not familiar with those transistors but it makes sense that the Smallbear set bias'd out right and those didn't. The few 2N404's I've come across had no leakage so I wouldn't use them in this kind of build. Did you breadboard before you built or do you have the thing together already? There's a lot to play with the Buzzaround using different Transistors.
GuitarlCarl - "TGP = The Gear Polishers"

Image Ken

jonny toetags
Information

Post by jonny toetags »

phibes wrote:I'm not familiar with those transistors but it makes sense that the Smallbear set bias'd out right and those didn't. The few 2N404's I've come across had no leakage so I wouldn't use them in this kind of build. Did you breadboard before you built or do you have the thing together already? There's a lot to play with the Buzzaround using different Transistors.
Thankfully i socked the transistors in this build.

jonny toetags
Information

Post by jonny toetags »

I figured it out.....bad batch of 4.7uf electro. caps.
I changed them a few times, but who knew the entire batch i had in stock were faulty.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

jonny toetags wrote:I figured it out.....bad batch of 4.7uf electro. caps.
I changed them a few times, but who knew the entire batch i had in stock were faulty.
If you measure components before installing you wouldn't have such problems1
:)

Whoismarykelly
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Whoismarykelly »

SPeter wrote:
Do you really measure every part you use? I measure and test transistors and thats expected but I dont put ever cap, resistor, and diode on the meter to make sure its within spec? I just buy good quality and tolerance parts to begin with.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Whoismarykelly wrote:
SPeter wrote:
Do you really measure every part you use? I measure and test transistors and thats expected but I dont put ever cap, resistor, and diode on the meter to make sure its within spec? I just buy good quality and tolerance parts to begin with.
Yes I do! The reason: to be sure I've put the right value!Installing by a mistake wrong value you may put sometimes yourself in considerable trouble if the circuit doesn't work properly! It doesn't take to much time but can save you a lot of it and more importantly good amount of nerves too!

neoflox
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by neoflox »

tatter wrote:Here's a compact stripboard layout. This is my first attempt at doing my own layouts so constructive criticism welcomed! Based on Andy Carrell's schematic. I've built this using 3 x Mullard OC74 and it sounds great but until someone else has a go i'll say it's unverified

Hey,
I've used this layout since tatter states that it works for him. I build it but only had a 47µf cap at hand instead of the 100µf. I have audio probe'd it to that cap because there is no signal after it. It seems to be kind of power filter … any help appreciated.

edit: I am actually getting no signal at Q3s C. Tested with OC72, OC71, AC128 with no difference.
Last edited by neoflox on 03 May 2010, 10:18, edited 1 time in total.

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

jonny toetags wrote:
phibes wrote:I'm not familiar with those transistors but it makes sense that the Smallbear set bias'd out right and those didn't. The few 2N404's I've come across had no leakage so I wouldn't use them in this kind of build. Did you breadboard before you built or do you have the thing together already? There's a lot to play with the Buzzaround using different Transistors.
Thankfully i socked the transistors in this build.
The Buzzaround demands leaky transistors! One or two that I've built have had to have deliberate "leakage" added by installing the "missing" bias resistors. You'll have to experiment, but I find resistors around 1M make all the difference!
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

neoflox
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by neoflox »

Would be real cool if someone could have a look at the vero layout from Mark Tierney and find out why I have no signal at the Q3 collector :oops: :hmmm:

Thanks! :hug:

neoflox
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by neoflox »

neoflox wrote:Would be real cool if someone could have a look at the vero layout from Mark Tierney and find out why I have no signal at the Q3 collector :oops: :hmmm:

Yeah, nevermind. I missed the third trace cut under the filter cap. :slap: Oh and as a matter of fact - that layout is verified! :applause: (except maybe the wrong transistor symbols)

tatter
Information

Post by tatter »

neoflox wrote:
neoflox wrote:Would be real cool if someone could have a look at the vero layout from Mark Tierney and find out why I have no signal at the Q3 collector :oops: :hmmm:

Yeah, nevermind. I missed the third trace cut under the filter cap. :slap: Oh and as a matter of fact - that layout is verified! :applause: (except maybe the wrong transistor symbols)
I should have made that clearer! Does it work now?

neoflox
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by neoflox »

Yap. Works good. Have yet to find the right trio of transistors to sound really good. Only hava a couple of AC125, -8 and OC71, -2, -6 here right now. If you revise it again, maybe add a polarity protection diode somewhere?