Rockett Blue Note OD  [traced]

General documentation, gut shot, schematic links, ongoing circuit tracing, deep thoughts ... all about boutique stompboxes.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 09:35
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Post by Greg »

Seljetnoma kindly sent me some detailed photos of his Rockett Blue Note OD (thanks Frank), and I traced it with his help.

Looks like it's the same board and circuit as the Rockett Animal, with different component values, so someone might like to work out those values from the pic in the other thread and we can solve that one also.

If someone does it and wants to send me the values I can easily update this schemo to the new values, and post it in the other thread.

Firstly.. here's a couple of pics:
Attachments
tn_DSCN3335.JPG
tn_DSCN3334.JPG
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 09:35
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Post by Greg »

And here's the schematic.
If anyone spots a mistake, let me know and I'll update it..
The reason only some of the parts have part numbers is these are the ones I could see in the photos I had.

The connections on the un-used opamp stage were added by me. It's un-connected on the actual pedal, but this can cause some problems.. so I thought it best to add them.

Enjoy.. this seems to sound pretty good from the clips - in a TS'ish way... although there's a couple of things that could be better...

I'm sure the 220pf on the Input would work a lot better as a filter with a resistor before it.. :D
..and I'd say the volume would affect the tone control. Might be nice to turn that 2nd opamp stage into a buffer.

Finally, the FAT pot is marked on the board as 25K, but I'm guessing they ran out, so it's a 50K with a 47K resistor across it.
I've drawn that and the 0K resistor before the Vol pot in to be true to the traced unit, but both are unnecessary... i.e. use a 25K pot and omit the resistor.
Attachments
BlueNote.bmp
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

User avatar
mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 2919
Joined: 11 Sep 2008, 20:29
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.
Location: Somewhat closer to Amsterdam than before!
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 752 times
Contact:

Post by mictester »

Greg_G wrote:And here's the schematic.
If anyone spots a mistake, let me know and I'll update it..
I think the mistake was building something like this! It's crude as the word f**k! Why did they waste the second half of the op-amp? The "tone" control won't do much at all except roll the top end off a bit, the "hot" switch is silly - why didn't they just scale the resistors around the op-amp more sensibly? The input "filter" cap won't do much that's useful, and the op-amp is (effectively) unprotected from the input socket, and will easily get zapped. What a horrible "design".
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 09:35
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Post by Greg »

mictester wrote:
Greg_G wrote:And here's the schematic.
If anyone spots a mistake, let me know and I'll update it..
I think the mistake was building something like this! It's crude as the word f**k! Why did they waste the second half of the op-amp? The "tone" control won't do much at all except roll the top end off a bit, the "hot" switch is silly - why didn't they just scale the resistors around the op-amp more sensibly? The input "filter" cap won't do much that's useful, and the op-amp is (effectively) unprotected from the input socket, and will easily get zapped. What a horrible "design".
:mrgreen:
I had the feeling that anyone who knows what they're looking at wouldn't be too impressed with this one.
It is a little crude isn't it.. the result of trial and error design I think.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

:slap:

Thanks for the trace, Greg. Have to agree....nothing much to see here.

User avatar
Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 401
Joined: 02 Apr 2009, 06:21
Completed builds: too many. too many.
Location: Portland, OR
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 87 times
Contact:

Post by Jack Deville »

Is there any strain relief on the battery leads?
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

Seljetnoma
Information
Posts: 38
Joined: 15 Mar 2008, 11:03
Been thanked: 1 time

Post by Seljetnoma »

Jack Deville wrote:Is there any strain relief on the battery leads?
No, it's free floating, no strain relief at all.

Frank

User avatar
Jack Deville
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 401
Joined: 02 Apr 2009, 06:21
Completed builds: too many. too many.
Location: Portland, OR
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 87 times
Contact:

Post by Jack Deville »

Bummer.
At least its easy to access! :D
I'm a "professional."
Buy my products and make me rich.

www.jackdeville.com

User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 09:35
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Post by Greg »

According to the TGP crowd this and the Animal are the best ODs ever built:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/search ... d=20945063

I guess we have to acknowledge that something that's not a correct Electronic Design can actually still sound good... and if that's the case the answer is to fix the shortcomings.
With that in mind I think I have to build one of these and see if I do like it, and if so.. apply the needed fixes.

Crazy I know.. but I love low gain ODs, and the clips sound good to me.
:slap:
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

bucksears
Solder Soldier
Information
Posts: 175
Joined: 08 Sep 2007, 23:02
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Post by bucksears »

The Blue Note, Animal and FlexDrive were designed by Brian Wampler......
I had the Animal briefly and thought that it sounded GOOD, but was not 'open' enough for me and my amp. I like my modded BSIAB II better for a classic rock sound (albeit a little less bassy) with the gain dialed back and the volume up.

madbean
Information

Post by madbean »

bucksears wrote:The Blue Note, Animal and FlexDrive were designed by Brian Wampler......
I had the Animal briefly and thought that it sounded GOOD, but was not 'open' enough for me and my amp. I like my modded BSIAB II better for a classic rock sound (albeit a little less bassy) with the gain dialed back and the volume up.

Wow, no kidding! Well, he certainly has plenty of great designs.

indyguitarist
Resistor Ronker
Information
Posts: 379
Joined: 11 Jul 2007, 02:25
Been thanked: 142 times

Post by indyguitarist »

schem looks fairly correct I think (though part values were different originally).

My "design" (and i use that term loosely) was the topology roughly. Jay and Chris changed part values quite a bit.
As far as the other concerns, build the thing and see if you like it, if not, tweak it. it's obviously a pretty simple circuit. that's what was wanted.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 2297
Joined: 01 Jan 2008, 23:59
Location: Manchester UK
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 608 times
Contact:

Post by IvIark »

Here's a vero layout for those who want it. It's currently unverified.

Image

I've used part dimensions in the layout exactly based on those bits that I've got in, so if you may have to jig it about if your part sizes don't match up. It's probably only the thin 4u7 that may need an extra column adding if yours are fatter.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 09:35
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Post by Greg »

indyguitarist wrote:schem looks fairly correct I think (though part values were different originally).

My "design" (and i use that term loosely) was the topology roughly. Jay and Chris changed part values quite a bit.
As far as the other concerns, build the thing and see if you like it, if not, tweak it. it's obviously a pretty simple circuit. that's what was wanted.
Thanks Brian
Thanks IvIark
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
Information
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 09:35
my favorite amplifier: Tophat Emplexador & Supreme 16.
Completed builds: LOTS..
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 158 times

Post by Greg »

IvIark wrote:Here's a vero layout for those who want it. It's currently unverified.

I've used part dimensions in the layout exactly based on those bits that I've got in, so if you may have to jig it about if your part sizes don't match up. It's probably only the thin 4u7 that may need an extra column adding if yours are fatter.
I just had a quick look at the layout..
The 10R on the power supply is to aid filtering, so it should go before the 1st 47uf cap, and also before power to the circuit.
It's not critical really, and 10R is an unusual choice of value... but if it's not before the cap and the rest of the circuit it serves no purpose.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information
Posts: 2297
Joined: 01 Jan 2008, 23:59
Location: Manchester UK
Has thanked: 599 times
Been thanked: 608 times
Contact:

Post by IvIark »

Doh!
Re-jigged version. I also got rid of the axial elecros, it makes more sense to use radials in a layout like this and makes it a column narrower:

Image
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Güero 2.0
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 May 2008, 15:42
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Post by Güero 2.0 »

Hi,

Thanks Greg_G for trace and post the schematic.
Here's my layout for Blue Note OD. The layout fits well in a hammond 1590b.
I suggest that you use Neutrick jacks for this one.


http://uploaddearquivos.com.br/download ... ero_EN.pdf

enjoy!
"Come squeeze and suck the day.Come Carpe Diem baby!"

binog15
Information
Posts: 4
Joined: 08 Sep 2008, 23:01

Post by binog15 »

Güero 2.0 wrote:Hi,

Thanks Greg_G for trace and post the schematic.
Here's my layout for Blue Note OD. The layout fits well in a hammond 1590b.
I suggest that you use Neutrick jacks for this one.


http://uploaddearquivos.com.br/download ... ero_EN.pdf

enjoy!

grande Güero

The best brazilian effects designer.

Güero 2.0
Breadboard Brother
Information
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 May 2008, 15:42
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Post by Güero 2.0 »

binog15 wrote:
Güero 2.0 wrote:Hi,

Thanks Greg_G for trace and post the schematic.
Here's my layout for Blue Note OD. The layout fits well in a hammond 1590b.
I suggest that you use Neutrick jacks for this one.


http://uploaddearquivos.com.br/download ... ero_EN.pdf

enjoy!

grande Güero

The best brazilian effects designer.

Oh come on...!?
"Come squeeze and suck the day.Come Carpe Diem baby!"

junior_01
Information
Posts: 2
Joined: 22 Jan 2009, 11:59

Post by junior_01 »

Grande Güero com tremas !!!! Sem palavras.

Congratulations and thank you!!! :applause:

Post Reply